GDT: Game 4: COL @ LA **Hollywood Nights** 10PM ET / 8PM MT

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I don’t think Jared Bednar is a very good coach.

I think his strengths and weaknesses are about the same as they have ever been. He's a damn good coach at setting up an initial gameplan. His xs and os are phenomenal and he can create some big strategic advantages. He is very bad and slow at coming up with any counters or adjustments.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I think his strengths and weaknesses are about the same as they have ever been. He's a damn good coach at setting up an initial gameplan. His xs and os are phenomenal and he can create some big strategic advantages. He is very bad and slow at coming up with any counters or adjustments.

I think he’s okay/good, but nothing special or top tier.

As you noted, I just rarely see us deviate from the original strategy and incorporate something new during games.

Whether that’s patience or stubbornness or somewhere in between, I find opponents regularly make adjustments that we have no answer for.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Its perfectly fine to be concerned and frustrated with this team because they're not supposed to lose games like this, but if they beat Anaheim tonight, we can just scratch off this loss and say it was a back to back and they split it, but another loss tonight and this is a real concern.

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
Is it a concern that the Avs have trouble playing against defensive slow the game down teams regardless of their little talent?

Would he be nice to take advantage of some powerplays when they play these type of games

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I think that’s been debunked. Colorado scored the most second period goals in the NHL last year. Colorado also allowed the fewest second period goals against in the NHL last year. Bednar has his flaws but in game adjustments don’t seem to be it. He goes turtle mode in the third and that drives me bonkers especially when his roster has so much talent to just pile it on, but the way he tears opposing teams systems apart after a period of examining is very impressive.

As a huge Bednar supporter I admit I believe less and less as time goes on though.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Is it a concern that the Avs have trouble playing against defensive slow the game down teams regardless of their little talent?

If you fix the 3rd line and the goaltending situation you fix 90% of the problem.

1st line is fine, 2nd line will get it going soon or later, 4th line is ok, defense is good.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Goaltending will be fine if Francouz comes back and doesn't get hurt again, but both him and Grubauer need to stay healthy. They are playing a 3rd string goalie again thats why I'm willing to scratch off this loss for now. Vegas and Tampa are winning all of their easy games so far, which is what the Avs supposed to do, but Vegas and Tampa aren't playing their 3rd string goalie.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
They're 2-2 after four games, and made it to the second round twice now. It was a bad game, and so was the opener, but this shtick is stupid.
You don't find it at all concerning that 3 out of 4 games so far they looked like dog shit?

Considering 2 of those poor showings came against the worst team in the league or close to it, it's pretty alarming. You don't see Tampa playing poorly against Chicago. They crushed them two times in a row. Good teams simply don't let bad teams compete with them.

The only game they looked competent in so far came after they got embarrassed on opening night. They played hard, and looked good doing it. But then immediately after that game they went right back to lazy garbage play, and got out worked and out hustled two nights in a row against a miserable LA team. Just because they won one didn't mean they played well they just got lucky that LA isn't very good.

It shouldn't take getting embarrassed to play a good game with quality effort. Every single night the effort should be there, win or lose. And right now, the effort simply isn't there, and the team needs reality check and an attitude adjustment. Just because you are good on paper doesn't mean you don't have to show up. This team doesn't seem to understand that.

Reactions: The Merchant

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Honestly, I'm kind of glad they didn't tie it up. They needed a reality check if they thought one period of effort was enough. But ultimately, it's the fourth game of the regular season. As long as they make the playoffs this is basically pre-season.
I share the sentiment, with a team as good as the Avs the season is like a long preseason for the playoffs, where it really matters. I’m don’t care too much about the results has long as there is a process in place to peak for the playoffs. That may mean testing young players and resting/rotating vets, implanting new schemes, figuring out stable lines and pairings, etc. All with a long term goal in mind. One process aspect that they need to work on is game-to-game consistency. Until we hit that level as a team we won’t be real contenders.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I think that’s been debunked. Colorado scored the most second period goals in the NHL last year. Colorado also allowed the fewest second period goals against in the NHL last year. Bednar has his flaws but in game adjustments don’t seem to be it. He goes turtle mode in the third and that drives me bonkers especially when his roster has so much talent to just pile it on, but the way he tears opposing teams systems apart after a period of examining is very impressive.

As a huge Bednar supporter I admit I believe less and less as time goes on though.

I don't think goals in the 2nd period debunks that idea. The Avs also had the most 1st period goals last season too. Wouldn't that just more logically be an extension of the original gameplan? I don't think that is the best measure though. Every year under Bednar this team tends to start strong (this year not so much), but by game 8-10 the bottom falls out for the next 5-10 games. They adjust and go on a good streak for 5-15 games, then the bottom falls out again in Dec-Jan before picking back up in Feb sometime. It has pretty much been like clockwork.

Then you have the winning percentage when the other team scores first. Ignoring Bednar's first season since that was just a disaster. Bednar has a .279 winning percentage when the Avs get scored on first. 23rd in the league. Top teams in the league during that same period... Tampa, Boston, Vegas, and Caps. Now last season Bednar was much better in this area. Kind of a question of if that is showing signs of growth, or if the previous two seasons where the Avs were 26th and 28th in the league more of a reality with last season a fluke?

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
The Avs just aren't very sharp right now. They missed few empty nets which should have been goals. If they scored those they win this game.

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO
You don't find it at all concerning that 3 out of 4 games so far they looked like dog shit?
Concerned that they are going to miss the playoffs?

Maybe we are not the "best team in the world" as everyone (media) has proclaimed but so what. They will improve as the season goes on and make the playoffs. Once you are in the playoffs you have a shot.

I am not concerned.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
I’m worried about our centers outside Mack. Is Kadri-Compher-Bellemare good enough to win the cup?

Do you guys think Landeskog could be moved to center? He can play defense and take draws.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Goaltending, bottom 6 forwards, injuries. It’ll be the same things hampering the Avs all season.

Outside the box changes I would try:

-Calvert on Kadri’s wing. Kadri needs a motor next to him to get going.
-Nuke PP1 instead of Kadri providing a screen.
-Scratch JTC for LOC

For tonight with EJ not being ready:
Toews-Girard
Byram-Makar
Graves-Timmins
Is it 100% sure that EJ can’t go?

Not loving Timmins right now.

Toews-Makar
Graves-Girard
Byram-EJ

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I don't think goals in the 2nd period debunks that idea. The Avs also had the most 1st period goals last season too. Wouldn't that just more logically be an extension of the original gameplan? I don't think that is the best measure though. Every year under Bednar this team tends to start strong (this year not so much), but by game 8-10 the bottom falls out for the next 5-10 games. They adjust and go on a good streak for 5-15 games, then the bottom falls out again in Dec-Jan before picking back up in Feb sometime. It has pretty much been like clockwork.

Then you have the winning percentage when the other team scores first. Ignoring Bednar's first season since that was just a disaster. Bednar has a .279 winning percentage when the Avs get scored on first. 23rd in the league. Top teams in the league during that same period... Tampa, Boston, Vegas, and Caps. Now last season Bednar was much better in this area. Kind of a question of if that is showing signs of growth, or if the previous two seasons where the Avs were 26th and 28th in the league more of a reality with last season a fluke?
It’ll take more games to see if it was a fluke or not but I like to believe it’s growth.

And yes they lead the league in first period goals but they were middle of the pack in goals against. Their goal differential was good but nothing like their 2nd periods. They were the best second period team in the league last year by a massive margin. Bednar has done a tremendous job of taking over games after that first period breaks but unfortunately Bednar isn’t great at knowing how to keep that going once they take over control. Perhaps it’s a re-adjustment by opposing coaches. Perhaps it’s asking his offensive minded team to play shutdown mode. Most likely it’s a mix of both but he needs to figure it out.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I’m worried about our centers outside Mack. Is Kadri-Compher-Bellemare good enough to win the cup?

Do you guys think Landeskog could be moved to center? He can play defense and take draws.

That grouping isn't good enough. Kadri is fine enough on the 2nd line. Compher is certainly not good enough on the third. Belly doesn't look good this year. Maybe rust, maybe age... but it is a real question mark right now. Last year, I'd say he was a good enough 4C to get the job done. This year isn't looking so hot to start, but he has history on his sidde.

If Kadri or MacK get hurt, yeah Landy should slide to center. If those two are healthy, Landy should stick right with MacK on the top line.

Reactions: Cousin Eddie

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
We can always be like the Oilers. Screw the playoffs as long as MacK wins the Hart and Art Ross!!!!!

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Is it 100% sure that EJ can’t go?

Not loving Timmins right now.

Toews-Makar
Graves-Girard
Byram-EJ

That’s what I’d like to see.

Or:

Toews - Makar
Girard - Johnson
Byram - Graves

I’m pretty sure EJ is out for tonight, but I could be wrong.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
It’ll take more games to see if it was a fluke or not but I like to believe it’s growth.

And yes they lead the league in first period goals but they were middle of the pack in goals against. Their goal differential was good but nothing like their 2nd periods. They were the best second period team in the league last year by a massive margin. Bednar has done a tremendous job of taking over games after that first period breaks but unfortunately Bednar isn’t great at knowing how to keep that going once they take over control. Perhaps it’s a re-adjustment by opposing coaches. Perhaps it’s asking his offensive minded team to play shutdown mode. Most likely it’s a mix of both but he needs to figure it out.

I really hope it is growth.

I think the first period goals against issues stem from Grubauer. I think he is a solid goalie and a capable starter, but he is good for a soft first goal every two or three games and that skews the stats there. He isn't as bad as Bernier was, but not good in that area either.

Reactions: Cousin Eddie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad