GDT: Game 4: COL @ LA **Hollywood Nights** 10PM ET / 8PM MT

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yeah, Miska was even worse than Hutchinson and injured Frankie were in The Bubble last playoffs. Not even a remotely acceptable performance. I feel kinda bad because it sounds like he knows he was terrible, but it's not his fault. This guy started out last season in the ECHL, and really, that's where he belongs. He's an AHL backup at best--he has no business in the NHL whatsoever. Joe needs to rectify this, and he needs to do it NOW.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Other than Philly a couple of years ago, do other teams play their 3rd string goalies as much as we do? Ridiculous.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Other than Philly a couple of years ago, do other teams play their 3rd string goalies as much as we do? Ridiculous.

Avs have relied upon trading for goalies. Teams don't tend to give up on guys that are solid, dependable, and starters. There has to be some sort of risk behind a goalie for an org to move them. It can still work out elsewhere, but teams don't go around trading legit starters without a reason behind it. In the Avs case they have targeted guys who have injury concerns with talent, or are unproven to carry a starting NHL workload with talent.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
I thought Miska played fine/above expectations. The first 2 goals were really nice shots/powerplay situations. The last goal was a terrible defensive effort by Makar + Mack. Definitely not a game where you blame the goalie. I'd like to see them scrap the 7D next game and insert two of Kaut/LOC/Bowers in the lineup and scratch someone like Donskoi or Bellemare. Just shake up that bottom 6

Reactions: The Kingslayer

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Yeah, Miska was even worse than Hutchinson and injured Frankie were in The Bubble last playoffs. Not even a remotely acceptable performance. I feel kinda bad because it sounds like he knows he was terrible, but it's not his fault. This guy started out last season in the ECHL, and really, that's where he belongs. He's an AHL backup at best--he has no business in the NHL whatsoever. Joe needs to rectify this, and he needs to do it NOW.
Joe needed to rectify this before the season. He knew he had some gimps in net. 2 games in and one of the gimps get injured and the Avs are basically forced to play an ECHL guy because they don't want to risk injuring the other gimp.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I didn't think Miska was good but im not putting the blame on him. Im putting the blame on the players in front of him. You would think that knowing you a have a rookie ECHL goalie in net would make you play harder. Apart from Mack, Mikko and Calvert it didn't seem like many of them cared about that. 4 games in now and they played one game where it seemed like they gave a shit.

Reactions: Richard88

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I would also put the blame on putting the team in trouble with a 5-3 PK
Avs seem to be the only team that seems to allow a 5 on 3 goal all the time. I've seen other teams defend and kill a 5-3. I don't recall the Avs doing it often if ever. Im sure there is a stat for this somewhere. Be nice to know how many times the last 2 seasons the Avs managed to kill a 5 on 3.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
We scored 2 lousy goals. When you are rolling a 3rd string goalie the expectation should be we need at least 4 goals to win.

You can't expect a 3rd stringer to give up 1 or less, which is what it would taken to win last night.

Miska was fine and gave us a solid effort from a 3rd stringer. One unsaveable rocket off the post and in, a sort of weak goal, then one where Makar didn't do shit to the guy on the doorstep.

But yeah Miska is the reason we lost. (sarcasm if you can't tell).

We lost because our effort after the first period was utter trash. Not because a 3rd string goalie gave up 3 goals.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
We scored 2 lousy goals. When you are rolling a 3rd string goalie the expectation should be we need at least 4 goals to win.

You can't expect a 3rd stringer to give up 1 or less, which is what it would taken to win last night.

Miska was fine and gave us a solid effort from a 3rd stringer. One unsaveable rocket off the post and in, a sort of weak goal, then one where Makar didn't do shit to the guy on the doorstep.

We lost because our effort after the first period was utter trash. Not because a 3rd string goalie gave up 3 goals.

The Doughty goal wasn't at all unsavable... look at where Miska was when Doughty shot.. He didn't push out from the crease at all. His feet were in the blue paint still. If that was Varly or Grubs, they'd explode out and end up a foot out of the crease to stop that shot. Doughty clean picked a spot, but that spot was left wide open by poor positioning and passive play by a goalie. You could probably count on a single hand the times where Miska was aggressive and came out of the crease to challenge a shot. At his size, that is the only way to be successful in the NHL. The only goal that I'd say shouldn't have been saved was the Kempe goal. That was on Makar.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I didn't think Miska was good but im not putting the blame on him. Im putting the blame on the players in front of him. You would think that knowing you a have a rookie ECHL goalie in net would make you play harder. Apart from Mack, Mikko and Calvert it didn't seem like many of them cared about that. 4 games in now and they played one game where it seemed like they gave a shit.

Agree here. The Avs probably get a point out of that game with Grubauer in net, but Miska played fine all things considered.

Side note: Rantanen’s ability to win puck battles on the forecheck and cycle has been really good this year.

Reactions: thejamch

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I think the asociation Saad/Kadri does't work
It's hard to judge the wingers when the center is playing like shit. Same for the 3rd line with Nuke and Donskoi.

Nuke loses 50% of his effectiveness when he plays next to Compher.

Reactions: thejamch

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
It's hard to judge the wingers when the center is playing like shit. Same for the 3rd line with Nuke and Donskoi.

Nuke loses 50% of his effectiveness when he plays next to Compher.

Nuke needs someone who can carry the offence on his line. If you start relying on him in any way offensively you’re in trouble. His defence is valuable, but his offence is not good.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Nuke needs someone who can carry the offence on his line. If you start relying on him in any way offensively you’re in trouble. His defence is valuable, but his offence is not good.

Nichuskin - Kadri - Burakovsky

That should be our default 2nd line based on performance and analytics from last season. That line just clicks, with Burakovsky leading the transitions and Nichuskin sweeping up defensively, which allows Kadri to play that 'roving' sort of interpretation on the 2C role that he does. Kadri doesn't have to be elite defensively because Nichuskin is; nor does he have to be elite at transitioning the puck, because Burakovsky is so good at it.

With the top 6 set, go from there and find out which one of Compher/Donskoi/Jost/Calvert/Kaut has the best chemistry as a winger with Saad on the 3rd line. Also acquire a 3C.

Whoever is left, build as solid a 4th line as possible out of it.

Landeskog ---- Mackinnon ---- Rantanen
Nichuskin ------- Kadri --------- Burakovsky
Saad --------------- 3C ----------- Compher/Donskoi/Jost/Calvert/Kaut
xxxx ------------ Bellemare ----- xxxxx

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Avs just stopped moving their feet halfway through the game, and it allowed LA to gain momentum and take over. This can't be a theme this year, and I'm sure Bednar is all over it.

I like how Miska battled but it often looked like there was a lot of net to shoot at too. He's not the biggest guy and LA figured out early that he tends to go down quick. He faced some pretty great shots though.

Avs really need their 2nd and 3rd line to get going. I don't want to pick on Compher, I think he's a solid 3rd line winger, but it's really evident that the 3C spot needs to be addressed before the playoffs.

Find the right 3C, and I really think that 3rd line with Nuke and Donskoi will go from struggling to outstanding. It's just not the right fit with JTC between them. I think they need a big body that's strong enough to fight through the battles in front of the net, and forecheck hard with Nuke and Donnie, who are good forecheckers themselves.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Nichuskin - Kadri - Burakovsky

That should be our default 2nd line based on performance and analytics from last season. That line just clicks, with Burakovsky leading the transitions and Nichuskin sweeping up defensively, which allows Kadri to play that 'roving' sort of interpretation on the 2C role that he does. Kadri doesn't have to be elite defensively because Nichuskin is; nor does he have to be elite at transitioning the puck, because Burakovsky is so good at it.

With the top 6 set, go from there and find out which one of Compher/Donskoi/Jost/Calvert/Kaut has the best chemistry as a winger with Saad on the 3rd line. Also acquire a 3C.

Whoever is left, build as solid a 4th line as possible out of it.

Landeskog ---- Mackinnon ---- Rantanen
Nichuskin ------- Kadri --------- Burakovsky
Saad --------------- 3C ----------- Compher/Donskoi/Jost/Calvert/Kaut
xxxx ------------ Bellemare ----- xxxxx

I’d be fine with that as we’ve seen it work before. Then, when the college season is done add Newhook to the 3rd line:

Landeskog - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Nichushkin - Kadri - Burakovsky
Saad - Newhook - Compher
Calvert - Jost - Kaut/LOC

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think the asociation Saad/Kadri does't work

Saad is a complementary player--he'll make a good player better but he's never going to carry a line. If the other two guys aren't really driving the play, he's pretty much useless. And right now, Kadri looks lost out there.

What strikes me as strange is that Landeskog/Kadri doesn't really work. Those two should be absolutely ferocious in the attacking zone, but it's just never worked.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Avs really need their 2nd and 3rd line to get going. I don't want to pick on Compher, I think he's a solid 3rd line winger, but it's really evident that the 3C spot needs to be addressed before the playoffs.

I don't think he is to be honest. Obviously the Avs had him pegged as a 3rd line utility guy, maybe even more, when they signed him to that deal. But he's regressed badly and I don't think he's much more than a solid 4th line RW who can play up on the 3rd line if absolutely necessary. But even as a 4th line RW, I feel like the Avs have better options already.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don't think he is to be honest. Obviously the Avs had him pegged as a 3rd line utility guy, maybe even more, when they signed him to that deal. But he's regressed badly and I don't think he's much more than a solid 4th line RW who can play up on the 3rd line if absolutely necessary. But even as a 4th line RW, I feel like the Avs have better options already.

It's hard to really tell what level JTC's capable of playing at, because I think he's suffering from being bounced around from wing to center so often early in his NHL career.

He needs some stability at RW so he can settle in and play his game. He always looks like he's overthinking the game at center to me, rather than just reacting. And he seems overly concerned with his defensive duties, so he doesn't forecheck as hard consistently.

I think the writing is kind of on the wall for him to possibly be one of the next guys moved though. Possible in the deal for a 3C. There isn't a great fit for him, and he hasn't become good enough on the PK yet either. That contract is a bit of a problem though

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I’d be fine with that as we’ve seen it work before. Then, when the college season is done add Newhook to the 3rd line:

Saad - Newhook - Compher
I like that 3rd line, at least on paper. Newhook is a very good play driver at C, so Saad wouldn't have to worry about that; he'd simply have to go to the net and win board battles to free up Newhook. Compher is also fast enough to keep up with Newhook to compliment him on the wing, with both tending to play a very north-to-south game. I could actually envisage Newhook joining the Avs as 3C could really help Compher find his best game again.

As for the 4th line, I'd feel more comfortable with Bellemare at 4C instead of Jost, with Calvert on one side and then one of Jost/Kaut/LOC/Donskoi on the other side.

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I like that 3rd line, at least on paper. Newhook is a very good play driver at C, so Saad wouldn't have to worry about that; he'd simply have to go to the net and win board battles to free up Newhook. Compher is also fast enough to keep up with Newhook to compliment him on the wing, with both tending to play a very north-to-south game. I could actually envisage Newhook joining the Avs as 3C could really help Compher find his best game again.

As for the 4th line, I'd feel more comfortable with Bellemare at 4C instead of Jost, with Calvert on one side and then one of Jost/Kaut/LOC/Donskoi on the other side.
Actually @Northern Avs Fan, come to think of it, I'd feel more comfortable if we still made a trade at the deadline for a good 3C, just to safeguard against Newhook not being ready, and to really solidify our depth down the middle.

Landeskog ---- Mackinnon ----- Rantanen
Nichuskin -------- Kadri ---------- Burakovsky
Saad ------------ Newhook ------- Compher
Calvert ---------- Bonino --------- Donskoi/Kaut/Jost/LOC

That's 4 lines I'd feel comfortable rolling.
  • The top line is one of the top 2 lines in the league (with Boston's top line).
  • The 2nd line with Nichuskin-Kadri-Burakovsky had excellent analytics and performance last season, so they should stick together.
  • That frees up Saad to flank the 3rd line. Saad isn't great at transitioning the puck, but with Newhook at C he wouldn't have to worry about that. Compher, like Newhook, is a very north-south player, so the two of them should be a good fit.
  • Then Sakic trades for an elite defensive C in Bonino to give us added depth down the middle. A 4th line of Calvert-Bonino-Donskoi would be outlandishly good.
That lineup looks far more robust than what we're rolling out now, and the price to make it a really is simply whatever the rental price of Bonino will be, which shouldn't be a prohibitive price.

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011

Thank you. You said exactly what I wanted to say but didn't feel like typing it out.

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO

Saad - Newhook - Compher
I like Jost and Calvert togother as well.

I would like to see what Jost Calvert LOC could do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->