Pre-Game Talk: Game 4, Boston at Leafs. Flush the Loss, Close the Bakery and Win! (And Stay Alive!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Previously in Leafs Nation

We experienced Playoffs. In TORONTO. It was wild, it was electric, we thanked Kessel, we Tuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuukaed. But then we decided to open up a bakery and give out free Maple Leaf turnovers, which resulted in a 3 goal spread that we just couldn't beat, even though Gardiner scored a beauty goal.

Things to look towards for Game 4:

People will toss in words like "Must Win" etc, that the Leafs can't come back from a 3-1 loss (I would personally feel happier going into Friday's game with a tied series), but I believe in the team, and being down might help them more than being tied ever would. but that would mean winning 2 of 3 in Boston.

Can they do it? If they channel Game 2 Leafs, they totally can! But, I think all of Leafs Nation (and Carlyle) would breathe a little better if they eek out a win. (or hammer out a win).

the Theme of Game Four should be this:

and don't worry, we'll totally be

(don't ask me why I'm on a total 70's music kick. the words just work!)

The keys for the :leafs victory is so simple

A: If I were Randy, I'd show the boys all the Boston goals so far. I mean, I'm sure they DO this, but like, put it on a loop or something. these are where the goals are coming from. 1: the point. 2: from turnovers. You can stop one, and help prevent the other. At this point I would be mugging the point men, because, strangely enough, despite the #of breakaways we're giving Boston - that's not where they are scoring from. It's all up close, deflected tip ins, from the point. (Minus a few goals).

B: the fancy pass/toe-drags crap. Stop. just STOP. you know on the Road (well you know in general, the Bruins are going to sit on top of Rask, and wait for you to turn it over). Lug the puck in, or wham it on the boards.

C: is for going into the CORNERS. JVR is our big guy, and should be planted there at all times. (so should Komarov). this means, Bozak, Kessel, and certain other people realllllly need to take the hit and get in there and get the puck to JVR so he could score, or at least make people sweat.

D: is for Defensive Scoring. Last night Gardiner's goal was the first goal from the Defense. (I'm pretty sure there were some points before that but no goals). Franson, Phaneuf, we'd like to see some goals from you. Compared to the 3rd/4th Line of Boston, or 3/4th line has zero goals, and I'm certain a paltry few assists. I'd like to see that change in game 4.

E: the Boards are your FRIEND. (O'Byrne). I don't really see him coming out, though. I'd keep him, move out Frazer, pair Liles with Franson, and Gardiner with O'Byrne). I just think that gives us a bit more moveability, and PMDness.

The Reimer Stat: 9-1-1 when giving up 4 goals the game before (just saying). dude knows how not to let losses snowball on him. People were saying he had to stop one of two goals last night, but, I have to ask.. which ones?

goal one: Bozak cleanly, cleanly lost that draw, and BOOM. net.
goal two: O'Byrne's booboo.
goal three: the laser from Horton
goal four: maybe? (that was the shorty).

but....
goal two: turnover.
goal three: turnover
goal four: turnover

Reimer is Optimus. He Ain't God.

also:
Post. Post. and 3 empty net scrambles.
those are where we should be trying to slam the puck in).

"Why the game seems like a must win"

1: Don't want to go into Friday down 2 games. this means 2 wins in Boston + winning at home. We've got the cast, but do we have the mindset to make it work. I say. YES!

2: you want to give Boston seeds of doubt. this team last year blew a 3-0 lead, and can't "shake off a beatable opponent" this series 2-1 us, and they KNOW it. full credit to Boston to capitalize, but I'm calling spades, spade.

3:confidence for OUR guys. (enough said).

Something that's going for us:
Powerplay. Oo boy, thank you. (I called this too). but man that shorthanded goal. :( (3 pp goals, to 4 ES).

Something that's not
faceoffs. Bozak, don't even try to cheat, just, go do your thing. (but we actually were percentage wise better than game 2 , strange). and again: prepare for faceoff losses. I don't know what Healy was saying, he was all " well they know that Bozak is going to go left or right, and prepare). well... where else is Bozak going to go with the puck, THROUGH Bergeron? behind him and maybe lose the puck out of the offensive zone or in behind his own net? Isn't the point TO go left or right?

Lack of players in front of the net. (which is why we need to go into the Corners more and create screens).

Daisy's View:
Let's Believe in miracles, you sexy things.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Previously in Leafs Nation

We experienced Playoffs. In TORONTO. It was wild, it was electric, we thanked Kessel, we Tuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuukaed. But then we decided to open up a bakery and give out free Maple Leaf turnovers, which resulted in a 3 goal spread that we just couldn't beat, even though Gardiner scored a beauty goal.

Things to look towards for Game 4:

People will toss in words like "Must Win" etc, that the Leafs can't come back from a 3-1 loss (I would personally feel happier going into Friday's game with a tied series), but I believe in the team, and being down might help them more than being tied ever would. but that would mean winning 2 of 3 in Boston.

Can they do it? If they channel Game 2 Leafs, they totally can! But, I think all of Leafs Nation (and Carlyle) would breathe a little better if they eek out a win. (or hammer out a win).

the Theme of Game Four should be this:

and don't worry, we'll totally be

(don't ask me why I'm on a total 70's music kick. the words just work!)

The keys for the :leafs victory is so simple

A: If I were Randy, I'd show the boys all the Boston goals so far. I mean, I'm sure they DO this, but like, put it on a loop or something. these are where the goals are coming from. 1: the point. 2: from turnovers. You can stop one, and help prevent the other. At this point I would be mugging the point men, because, strangely enough, despite the #of breakaways we're giving Boston - that's not where they are scoring from. It's all up close, deflected tip ins, from the point. (Minus a few goals).

B: the fancy pass/toe-drags crap. Stop. just STOP. you know on the Road (well you know in general, the Bruins are going to sit on top of Rask, and wait for you to turn it over). Lug the puck in, or wham it on the boards.

C: is for going into the CORNERS. JVR is our big guy, and should be planted there at all times. (so should Komarov). this means, Bozak, Kessel, and certain other people realllllly need to take the hit and get in there and get the puck to JVR so he could score, or at least make people sweat.

D: is for Defensive Scoring. Last night Gardiner's goal was the first goal from the Defense. (I'm pretty sure there were some points before that but no goals). Franson, Phaneuf, we'd like to see some goals from you. Compared to the 3rd/4th Line of Boston, or 3/4th line has zero goals, and I'm certain a paltry few assists. I'd like to see that change in game 4.

E: the Boards are your FRIEND. (O'Byrne). I don't really see him coming out, though. I'd keep him, move out Frazer, pair Liles with Franson, and Gardiner with O'Byrne). I just think that gives us a bit more moveability, and PMDness.

The Reimer Stat: 9-1-1 when giving up 4 goals the game before (just saying). dude knows how not to let losses snowball on him. People were saying he had to stop one of two goals last night, but, I have to ask.. which ones?

goal one: Bozak cleanly, cleanly lost that draw, and BOOM. net.
goal two: O'Byrne's booboo.
goal three: the laser from Horton
goal four: maybe? (that was the shorty).

but....
goal two: turnover.
goal three: turnover
goal four: turnover

Reimer is Optimus. He Ain't God.

also:
Post. Post. and 3 empty net scrambles.
those are where we should be trying to slam the puck in).

"Why the game seems like a must win"

1: Don't want to go into Friday down 2 games. this means 2 wins in Boston + winning at home. We've got the cast, but do we have the mindset to make it work. I say. YES!

2: you want to give Boston seeds of doubt. this team last year blew a 3-0 lead, and can't "shake off a beatable opponent" this series 2-1 us, and they KNOW it. full credit to Boston to capitalize, but I'm calling spades, spade.

3:confidence for OUR guys. (enough said).

Something that's going for us:
Powerplay. Oo boy, thank you. (I called this too). but man that shorthanded goal. :( (3 pp goals, to 4 ES).

Something that's not
faceoffs. Bozak, don't even try to cheat, just, go do your thing. (but we actually were percentage wise better than game 2 , strange). and again: prepare for faceoff losses. I don't know what Healy was saying, he was all " well they know that Bozak is going to go left or right, and prepare). well... where else is Bozak going to go with the puck, THROUGH Bergeron? behind him and maybe lose the puck out of the offensive zone or in behind his own net? Isn't the point TO go left or right?

Lack of players in front of the net. (which is why we need to go into the Corners more and create screens).

Daisy's View:
Let's Believe in miracles, you sexy things.

Reimer really should have stopped that empty net goal! ;)

Khobahi

Feb 13, 2013
Canada
Fraser out Liles in
Hamilton out Colborne in

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Frattin*
Colborne - Grabo - Kulemin*
Komorov - McClement - Orr

Phaneuf / Gunner
Gardiner / Franson
Liles / ROB ( i don't like it but Fraser is worse...)

I think Colborne will bring energy. Putting lines in is almost impossible with how Carlyle is going at the moment but we need to get something going.

PP Units
JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Gardiner (PPQB) - Phaneuf (TAKE FREAKING SHOTS DONT QB)

Lupul - Kadri - Frattin/Kulemin/ Double Kessel
Liles - Franson

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Liles and ROB actually played pretty well together in the last few games of the regular season.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
You can definitely tell that the Leafs are not as deep defensively from this series and really need some of the defensive prospects to contribute in the near future.

Hope some of Finn, Blacker, Percy, Rielly or others can step up and give us that much needed depth.

mikebel111*

hope nazem has a good game
so he can make this fan base become silent

might get an infraction, but i am pissed off at this fan base

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
I'd like to see that but probably won't happen.:shakehead
I just hope all of them shook off all the jitters from playing at home, there were lot of fanning/shoddy puck handling last night.

I'd like Liles in for Fraser too, but not going to happen. Just saw Randy's interview and he's expressing the whole "Forget about yesterday, focus on our game" gameplan, so Fraser is in.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
What I would change:

1) 1st PP UNIT should be Gardiner - Phaneuf, 2nd PP UNIT should be Franson - Gunnarsson/Liles

2) Sit out Fraser for Liles, Make the D pairings
Phaneuf - Gunnarsson
Gardiner - Franson
Liles - O'Bryne

3) LESS TURNOVERS AND MORE SPEED.

Pretty much it.

Penalty Kill Icing*

Franson has demoted himself from 1st PP unit, and Gardiner has promoted himself from 2nd.

Need Liles in for Fraser.

Forwards wise, should we put Lupul and Kessel together?

Shanty

July hockey is where bridges are burned
Jan 9, 2010
Toronto
Liles and ROB actually played pretty well together in the last few games of the regular season.

I really didn't get why he was taken out, with them playing so well together.

Gardiner has been good so far in the playoffs, but like a few people I've listened to have said, we need to fight fire with water. Speed will have to beat grit on wednesday. Skill over brawn.

MakeTheIronSing

Oct 13, 2011
Edmonton
Cut down the turnovers and this series is all tied up, seriously.

I (UNFORTUNATELY) only got to watch about the first 12 minutes of this game before I had to leave.

When I came home and finished the game (I'm in Edmonton so I was lucky enough not to really hear anything about it), this game was really close.

OByrne and the PP giveaways were the difference makers. I'm honestly so pumped that this series is close!

I think its gonna go the distance.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Be very surprised if Fraser is taken out. Pretty much zero chance that happens.

jimmycarter

Jun 12, 2010
im so optimisitc about this team after last night....rare after a loss.

but man, for a young and experienced team...they look pretty darn good and are not rolling over...minus the turnovers...fix that and they look great.

lack of depth is evident...but nothing a few key UFA signings in the next two years cannot fix.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Were Currently the lowest team on 5v5 with 0.38 GF, pretty much our only source of goals thus far is on PP, and with Franson looking like a pylon on the PP, gardiner will be a priority on the 1st PP unit.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
ESPN ‏@espn 58m
The Maple Leafs haven't won a home playoff game vs. the Bruins since 1959. Toronto coach, Randy Carlyle, was 3 years old.

:amazed:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad