GDT: Game 39: Jackets @ Avs | January 4th, 6pm MT/3AM Finnish | The Traktor Alban edition

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
Delusional people

If we're holding them to Forsberg and Sakic standards of course.

To expect our 1-2 punch of high drafted center's to produce at a 45~ point pace is also ridiculous.

Mackinnon is still young and figuring things out, Duchene is in his 6th year he should know how to produce consistently now.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Isn't that the point you are making though? What else was the above post saying?

And Talbot was not an ugly contract. He makes less than 2m for one more year. It's insignificant.

About double what he should make. I don't care if it's 3% of the total salary cap or whatever. It's over his market value. Those bad deals pile up eventually.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Hejda's boneheaded punch cost them the game. He shouldn't be taking a chance right there. For the most part, he's solid, but he has a tendency to make real poor decisions when pinching.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I actually meant to write Talbot. Tanguay isn't going anywhere. He's Roy's bro.

So let it be written.

Not a bad last 30-35 minutes. Putrid prior to that. I find it interesting that in that last minute with the goaltender pulled, neither Duchene nor MacKinnon was on the ice. Interesting, and a little deflating.

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
Wouldn't want to trade Tanguay either, he's our hardest working forward over the whole season. Landeskog with an honorable mention but he's definitely taken a few games off as well.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
If we're holding them to Forsberg and Sakic standards of course.

To expect our 1-2 punch of high drafted center's to produce at a 45~ point pace is also ridiculous.

Mackinnon is still young and figuring things out, Duchene is in his 6th year he should know how to produce consistently now.

You'll find nobody that agrees with that more than me, believe me. Duchene and MacKinnon are why we are where we are

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
How do you lose that game?

Columbus plays the night before, we score within the first 30 seconds, Columbus pretty much sits back the final 10 minutes and says we're cool with going to OT and we still find a way to lose. Just pathetic.

How do you manage 3 lousy shots in the first period against a team that played last night?

Just a joke!

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Hejda's boneheaded punch cost them the game. He shouldn't be taking a chance right there. For the most part, he's solid, but he has a tendency to make real poor decisions when pinching.

Poor decisions with passing too. The one reason Guenin looks decent lately is because he almost always chooses the simplest passing option now. Hejda is the opposite, trying to make plays that are way above his competence level.

I think Hejda can fetch a 2nd at trade deadline if the market is right. Time to move on and see what Elliott/Noreau or possibly even Siemens can do down the stretch.

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
You'll find nobody that agrees with that more than me, believe me. Duchene and MacKinnon are why we are where we are

We're not really giving Mackinnon a chance to succeed either, switching his linemates up all the time, switching his positions, it seems like more throwing monkey doo on a wall with him.

Duchene has been awful for almost 20 games now, it's like he's a rookie all again, shows flashes but is wildly inconsistent, reminds me of his 24 point season in 58 games. Something that sticks out to me is he said he wasn't right mentally during that year and I think recently it's more psychological then physical for him.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
It's funny the attachment to Tanguay but more people are willing to blow the core up. I know it's not the same people but just funny there are more people who want to see a core piece moved than to get something real good for Tanguay. I think we need him for next year but at this point I'd be real interested to hear what could be offered for him.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
It's funny the attachment to Tanguay but more people are willing to blow the core up. I know it's not the same people but just funny there are more people who want to see a core piece moved than to get something real good for Tanguay. I think we need him for next year but at this point I'd be real interested to hear what could be offered for him.

Yeah I wouldn't touch anyone from the core. We all love Tanguay though, but this team isn't winning this or the next year, if a contender wants him and is willing to pay, you listen.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
We're not really giving Mackinnon a chance to succeed either, switching his linemates up all the time, switching his positions, it seems like more throwing monkey doo on a wall with him.

Duchene has been awful for almost 20 games now, it's like he's a rookie all again, shows flashes but is wildly inconsistent, reminds me of his 24 point season in 58 games. Something that sticks out to me is he said he wasn't right mentally during that year and I think recently it's more psychological then physical for him.

It's funny if you read some of the stuff I posted in this thread previously I totally disagree. This is 40ish games in. Linemates have only so much influence. MacKinnon needs to step up and be the man he was drafted to be. We can't afford to coddle him.

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
It's funny if you read some of the stuff I posted in this thread previously I totally disagree. This is 40ish games in. Linemates have only so much influence. MacKinnon needs to step up and be the man he was drafted to be. We can't afford to coddle him.

He's not going to break out of his slump playing with Mitchell and Briere.

Other teams tend to play two guys on him when he's in the offensive zone. Everyone's playing like a bunch of individuals and the goals don't come until lines start playing with chemistry.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Definitely hit Rendulic's stick. Roy confirmed in post game too.

Minor fundamental thing, but there was no reason for Rendulic's stick to be there anyway. He wasn't covering anyone and there was no danger that way. He played well, hope that doesn't hurt his confidence.

Maybe, but it might have went off Duchene first. Players don't really throw their head back like that if it's not their fault. It looks like they're blaming the goalie or someone else so they just don't react at all.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Maybe, but it might have went off Duchene first. Players don't really throw their head back like that if it's not their fault. It looks like they're blaming the goalie or someone else so they just don't react at all.

I agree, it certainly at least touches Duchene. Might take a deflection off Rendulic then as well.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Rendulic did NOT play well. I'm waiting for him to be taken off that top line already.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think McLeod is worse, especially at skating. I consider Talbot a decent 4th liner. I'm sure he would look better if he wasn't surrounded by AHLers so often. He is overpaid. I DON'T think he is an elite PKer, or even good on the PK. Mediocre at best.

I hated the trade since I love Downie, and I really don't think Talbot was the best Downie could get you at the time. I think it's just another one of those, Roy love a boarderline NHLer, for some reason. He liked Talbot. I like THE GUY, but his contract is ugly too. It's the same as the PAP thing, waive the guy rather than take an ugly contract back, or at least try it first. If they are so desperate to dump good players for whatever reason. Whatever though, it's all in the past.

Man, I couldn't view it any differently. I won't get into the McLeod debate since people see what they want to in him, but Talbot hasn't played with AHLers this year. Cody's spent pretty much the entire year on the 4th line and he has one more goal than Talbot who's played most of the year in the top 9, on all the lines, especially the last week or two where he was playing with Duchene and MacKinnon.

I definitely think he's an elite PKer though. Almost every kill he's on, he makes a great play. The whole PK unit took a 180 in the right direction when he came here, and it's been strong most of the year. He study's the other team's PP very well and anticipates the plays they like to make, and does a great job blocking the passing lanes, and then forcing the play to the boards where he can break up the play and get the puck out. I've never seen a player better at consistently getting the puck out along the half boards.

If only he could contribute something, just anything on the ice apart from this. It was absolutely maddening watching him playing with Dutchy and Mack, and blow scoring chances on literally every shift. If he's not whiffing on shots, or sending passes into someone's feet or behind them, he'll grab the puck in the offensive zone, lift his head up to look around, and you can just hear his inner monologue like it was on the PA going "duuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr."

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
He's not going to break out of his slump playing with Mitchell and Briere.

Other teams tend to play two guys on him when he's in the offensive zone. Everyone's playing like a bunch of individuals and the goals don't come until lines start playing with chemistry.

Where are the individual efforts that he showed off last year in spades? He just loses the puck every time or falls down. You can't blame Mitchell, who has actually played damn well, or Briere, who sadly enough has more goals than the kid, for EVERYTHING that's going wrong. Where does the buck stop?

NateTheGreat

Mar 19, 2012
Winnipeg
Does anyone remember the Duchene from last season? The PPG center that willed this team to win on some nights, that's what i want.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I actually meant to write Talbot. Tanguay isn't going anywhere. He's Roy's bro.

I'd hold onto Hejda unless someone dangled a first. We're still not out of it enough and our defense gets terribad without him, EJ, Barrie or Stuart. Would have no qualms with Guenin and Holden eating nachos for an extended stretch once Holden shows this three game solid stretch was a mirage and he's just going to keep sucking this year. And I think our core finishing this awful season strong will mean more to the team moving forward than moving from 9-11 to 6-8 in the draft. Briere and Talbs can go if we get offers for them though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad