GDT: Game 39: Jackets @ Avs | January 4th, 6pm MT/3AM Finnish | The Traktor Alban edition

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
The problem with both is they'd rather just take the puck themselves and start the rush instead of passing it. They are both pretty good about gaining the zone, but our F do nothing on the breakout right now. It's killing me. :shakehead

We've always known that none of Stuart, Hejda, or Guenin can make a breakout pass to save their respective lives. I swear, everytime Stuart gets the puck in his own zone with strong-side wing support, he manages to somehow put the puck on edge and just slings it off the boards for a routine icing. It happens every single game. Beyond Barrie and sometimes EJ, our D are idiots when it comes to natural hockey sense and participating in re-group/breakout transition plays.

Yeah both those guys rush it more than move it. A big problem this season is that when the d-men get the puck they hold back and set up(well EJ does this). It just gives the opposition time to set up in the neutral zone. Then they try and force passes.

Barrie is at his best when he is pushing the pace of the game with the puck on his stick. Playing with Guenin (who has been good for a long time now) should free him up more to do that. There were numerous times last season when the Avs would get outworked in their own zone and finally Barrie would just grab the puck and skate it out of the zone rather than trying to chip it up the boards. He needs to be more aggressive than what he has been the last few weeks.

Also with Hejda, Guenin, Stuart not only do they not pass well, but they read the play slowly. So they pass it 3 seconds after the time they actually should have passed it. So our forwards have already left the zone and opposition is getting in the lanes.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
That kind if hesitation I think has been a big problem in all facets. You are right, why give the other team a chance to set up. It's like that on the PP I feel, they spend forever waiting to get the shot off, you can just feel the PKers moving into lanes. They aren't using their skills to play fast, not only with tempo but decisions.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
He hasn't mentioned anything about injuries for a while.

And he shouldn't mention injuries. They are relatively healthy right now and all his key players except for Varly have been healthy all season.

Good teams overcome any injury. Pens can make the playoffs with Crosby and Malkin injured at the same time.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Dater drove this term into the ground, but I think he was absolutely right when he said the team's "gap control" was poor. Roy fixed it for a little bit when he tweaked the M2M system and outright yelled at any player trying a stretch pass, but now it looks worse than ever. The d-men cruise around on the back end trying in vain to find a passing lane while the forwards cherry pick. It's maddening to watch. And the opposition has picked up on this, too. It's no accident that a single effective forechecker can pin the Avs back when they're trying to set up the power play. When it's a capable two-way guy like Frolik, you may as well not have a power play at all.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Dater drove this term into the ground, but I think he was absolutely right when he said the team's "gap control" was poor. Roy fixed it for a little bit when he tweaked the M2M system and outright yelled at any player trying a stretch pass, but now it looks worse than ever. The d-men cruise around on the back end trying in vain to find a passing lane while the forwards cherry pick. It's maddening to watch. And the opposition has picked up on this, too. It's no accident that a single effective forechecker can pin the Avs back when they're trying to set up the power play. When it's a capable two-way guy like Frolik, you may as well not have a power play at all.

Another problem that we have though is that when the forwards do come back, the forward who gets the puck from the defenseman is rarely looking to pass the puck. He's looking to carry it up the ice himself, be it MacKinnon, who is the worst at this, Duchene, Mitchell, Landeskog, etc. The only two guys who seem to want to actually make plays with the puck are Tanguay and Iginla. They seem to be the only two who actually understand that the puck moves faster than the skater.

A lot of the players need to stop being so selfish and commit to more of a team game. MacK especially, when he gets the puck in the neutral zone I know he loves to fly but you just need to use your teammates. This isn't junior anymore. Same goes for Landeskog and Duchene

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009
A lot of the players need to stop being so selfish and commit to more of a team game. MacK especially, when he gets the puck in the neutral zone I know he loves to fly but you just need to use your teammates. This isn't junior anymore. Same goes for Landeskog and Duchene

This. Tanguay and Iginla are so much smarter with the puck, especially Tanguay. One play last night he had no one to pass to and no shot in the offensive zone. Rather than try to fight thru a check on the half boards he softly lifted the puck to the opposite corner of the ice where noboby was. This avoided immediate transition by the Jackets and gave Avs a competing chance at the puck. I can't remember what the outcome was but I see these plays from him all the time. They don't always effect the score sheet but are just smart plays that afford a higher probably of success over the course of a game.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
This D is largely the same as last year. What are they doing differently that's preventing them from getting the forwards the puck?

There is a key difference... Benoit. Not that they should have re-signed him or he was a difference maker by any means... but with him, you at least had a defensemen that could complete a pass from the left side and kept the opposition at least somewhat honest. Now they don't even have to worry and have a simple game plan... clamp down on the RD so he can't make a pass. Do that, and more often than not you stop the Avs transition game which was their strength last year.

madman

Deadmarsh Deli Dills
Jun 6, 2009
Steamboat Springs
This D is largely the same as last year. What are they doing differently that's preventing them from getting the forwards the puck?

No one, among our forwards and defensemen, is playing loose - which was a strong identity of the team last year. Far too often, our D is hesitating, over-thinking, or (in Brad Stuart's case) struggling to keep up and reverting to just desperation dumps of the puck.

As others have said, way too many guys are trying to do it all themselves.

We played a loose, free-flowing game last year, which is what made the team so dangerous with all the up-tempo young guys. Yes, we gave up a lot of shots and scoring chances, but there is no denying that we played an extremely entertaing brand of hockey last year. Lots of quick, counter-attacking, transition goals. Unfortunately, that style of play also completely exposed our defincies in our own zone. But it was so fun to watch! :dunno:

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
No one, among our forwards and defensemen, is playing loose - which was a strong identity of the team last year. Far too often, our D is hesitating, over-thinking, or (in Brad Stuart's case) struggling to keep up and reverting to just desperation dumps of the puck.

As others have said, way too many guys are trying to do it all themselves.

We played a loose, free-flowing game last year, which is what made the team so dangerous with all the up-tempo young guys. Yes, we gave up a lot of shots and scoring chances, but there is no denying that we played an extremely entertaing brand of hockey last year. Lots of quick, counter-attacking, transition goals. Unfortunately, that style of play also completely exposed our defincies in our own zone. But it was so fun to watch! :dunno:

I rather have an exciting team that loses instead of a boring team that loses thats for damn sure.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007

The teams aren't pressuring our D at all. Last year they would, the defense only had to make a quick chip pass to the center or up the boards to our winger. Our team was perceived as being too quick to defend. So the defense would retreat rather than hold the line. Then the winger would make a kick pass to our center who was already in full stride.

Teams are now playing an extra forward high, then they get their defense to pinch on most plays because they have the forward covering for them.

So IMO, they aren't forchecking as hard because they know the Avs defense will turn the puck over and they will get the puck back. Which 75% of the time is what happens. Over and Over and Over again.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Thanks, sometimes I gotta boil it down to a simple question. It's too bad they can't do something simple to adjust, which I know y'all have been suggesting for a long time. But it's not the only problem, clearly.

Hesher

Sagan for President
Jan 22, 2013
Slovakia
The 1st was ugly but I was more disappointed by the 3rd period. I expected the Avs to come out and dominate a tired Blue Jackets team but it didn't happen. I have to give credit to Columbus, they battled hard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad