GDT: Game 39: Columbus at Toronto | 1/9 7:30PM EST

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
First period was a crock of ---- ...

Refs sucked as well, but thats not surprising.

Bottom line we shouldn't be getting out-shot that bad by the Leafs.. Ugh.

Just a crappy ending to a day where the news of extending Bob's contract seemed like something that would carry us to W tonight.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Sure would like to see Atkinson step it up.

No goals in his last 10 and just 1 goal and 3 assists in his last 19 games.

I've been waiting to see Atkinson step up for 2 years now. Shows some flashes, but too streaky, and not good enough to be that streaky. He's barely a 20 goal scorer, and may not even reach it this year.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
I think we're getting to the point where we need to throw Rychel and Dano into the fire. Luke Adam might just be another Brett Harkins/Geoff Platt but given the lack of secondary scoring, it's worth a try.

They can't be worse than Boll at least.

Agree on Adam. Why not see what he has. Can't be worse than Collins/Tropp/Boll/Whoever on the 4th line.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Wennberg went 5 for 10 on faceoffs tonight (50%). I think that's his best performance at the dot to date (at the NHL level)

thebus2288*

Boll lost us this game. Not so much that it is his fault as much as it is him being the reason we didn't bring back Mackenzie. Mackenzie would've scored a natural hatty to tie and win in OT right?

Hope to see Tropp in for Calvert next game also.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Wennberg went 5 for 10 on faceoffs tonight (50%). I think that's his best performance at the dot to date (at the NHL level)

He had a rush in the third period where he went coast to coast and got a good shot in the middle of the ice, but flew it over the net. He's getting better.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
The sad thing is... Toronto is very, very beatable. They aren't anything special, at all. I'm not impressed. Playoff caliber team? no.

scoob4093

Sponsor
Jul 8, 2003
Springfield Ma.
Visit site
I think we're getting to the point where we need to throw Rychel and Dano into the fire. Luke Adam might just be another Brett Harkins/Geoff Platt but given the lack of secondary scoring, it's worth a try.

They can't be worse than Boll at least.

Neither team likely will be seeing Dano for awhile. He was hit by a Providence goon and lay motionless on the ice for a few minutes and the stretcher was wheeled out. He was eventually able to get up and did skate off but was in considerable pain. Hoping for the best.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Thought about mentioning that Dubi's been really mediocre lately, but didn't want to be accused of boat rocking. Agreed.

9 points in 13 games after coming off of abdominal surgery. It's going to take some time for him to get back up to speed. I think he's right where I expected him to be at this point.

2 goals and 5 assists in the last 6 games. Maybe he was bad tonight. Sounds like the whole team was bad but it honestly seems like he's just now hitting his stride after missing so much of the season.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Neither team likely will be seeing Dano for awhile. He was hit by a Providence goon and lay motionless on the ice for a few minutes and the stretcher was wheeled out. He was eventually able to get up and did skate off but was in considerable pain. Hoping for the best.

:( Get well Marko

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Tyutin misplayed the puck on the first and third goals.

I know it won't be a popular opinion, but I really dislike Tyutin's play. Not just tonight, most nights. He's soft in front of our own net which leads to a lot of goals, has hands of stone in our end and their end as well, doesn't hardly hit anyone, isn't physical clearing the crease, can't score, can't pass, is slow as s+++. I would take Prout or Leopold in the lineup any day of the week over him. I know nobody will agree, that's just my opinion.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Hopefully Prout is back in the lineup for Goloubef tomorrow. He was trying too hard tonight.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Disagree. He was out there throwing hits and trying to inject some energy into this club.

Why is Boll the whipping boy?

Nobody says anything about the two goals our own defense put in our net and jump all over the whipping boy for at least trying to stir something up. Blaming losses on Boll is the HF Boards equivalent to playing the race card when a debate gets too heated.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Agreed, never been impressed with Goloubef

I personally like Golo better than Prout, but Prout got pulled after the Arizona game where he struggled mightily. Golo struggled mightily tonight, it's only fair to put Prout back in.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Amazed that there's so much to discuss about a guy that plays 8 minutes and change in the game.

It's the easy shot to take at Boll, doesn't take much analytical skills to pile on with the rest of the board. Defense couldn't get it out of our zone the whole night, put 2 in our own net, yet there is 45 posts about Boll...wasn't out there for a goal against and they didn't score on his penalty, yet same old story around here...the entire defense was garbage, Tyutin, Goloubef and Wiz espessially, those are the guys that should be called out regularly.

Last edited:

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Dubi should look in the mirror. Hasn't looked right or played like the Dubinsky of last season yet this year. I know he missed like 30 games, but it's time for him to step up.

Good point.

2 goals 7 assists and a +3 rating in 13 games playing against the best players on the other team. He's still playing his way back into shape but I hardly think he's worthy of being called out. That's a 57 point pace.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio

Kid just isn't ready yet....he's going to be really good, just needs to be down in Springfield crafting his game in the circle and defensively and getting his scoring touch. Rushing these kids up, Rychel, Dano, etc. isn't going to do anything for them. They need to earn their way up. Once we get Boone and Anisimov back, he will probably be sent down.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I personally like Golo better than Prout, but Prout got pulled after the Arizona game where he struggled mightily. Golo struggled mightily tonight, it's only fair to put Prout back in.

I just haven't seen it yet with him, he made a lot of rookie mistakes tonight. He's another one that needs more seasoning. When Murray comes back, there isn't a spot for him.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Or Leopold, who is noticeably steadier than both of them, imo.

I agree, I liked what Leopold was bringing. I would rather he be in there than Tyutin, same type of player but I think Leopold has more offensive skill and doesn't make as many mistakes in our end. But we know Sir Tyutin isn't getting a seat in the pressbox, unfortunately.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad