GDT: Game 39: Bruins @ Sabres - 12/29 7pm ET (MSG-B, WGR 550)

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'm still not really buying the whole "Pominville wears out after 20 games" thing.

The drop off is obviously more because he got moved off of Eichel's line... which I'm not entirely convinced happened because Eichel's line stopped being effective. They've been beasting all year regardless of RW and Jason, for all he lacks at this point, was a good compliment to Jeff and Jack.

IMO, and I think it was the case last year too, he got moved off to help Reinhart get his game going and/or part of a greater roster shake up. Assuming Reinhart can be effective elsewhere (since Pominville clearly can't), they need to leave the J. Crew together and we can watch how Pommers magically becomes less old/tired.

Go look again. Poms stopped producing last year and got moved off the top line. The same thing happened this year. He's got about 20 good games, if that, then he is spent.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
I'm still not really buying the whole "Pominville wears out after 20 games" thing.

The drop off is obviously more because he got moved off of Eichel's line... which I'm not entirely convinced happened because Eichel's line stopped being effective. They've been beasting all year regardless of RW and Jason, for all he lacks at this point, was a good compliment to Jeff and Jack.

IMO, and I think it was the case last year too, he got moved off to help Reinhart get his game going and/or part of a greater roster shake up. Assuming Reinhart can be effective elsewhere (since Pominville clearly can't), they need to leave the J. Crew together and we can watch how Pommers magically becomes less old/tired.

I respect your opinion.

I just don't agree with it.

But yes, his numbers would be better with Eichel - who's wouldn't?

Reactions: ZZamboni

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
the roster decisions make it seem like we are trying to tank another season. We are deliberately not icing our best lineup. Pilut benched? Does Phil even watch the games?

What's next, benching one of the top line?

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
The unfortunate thing about having like 6-7 players underperforming is that there's no way they call up enough players from Rochester to "try out" a new bottom 9. If not only to avoid decimating Rochester.

And while we (the fans) all have our least favorites of the bunch, in reality it's probably harder to bench/demote just one or two when they're all 'not performing' pretty equally right now. Not without potentially creating unnecessary rifts in a locker room still on the mend.
What about Pilut then?

MrMaster

Apr 20, 2016
What about Pilut then?
It was unfair right from the start. They kept him down there, and played a couple other players before him, which made no sense.
I remember an interview with Housley, in which he critized him for his gap control. I also remember another occasion, where he praised Tennyson for his 200-foot-game.
Listen between the lines, it's just unfair.
He came in after lighting up the AHL in scoring, they just had to adapt.
He deserves better treatment.

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
So a regulation loss tonight puts us 5 pts ahead of the islanders and they have 2 games in hand

Boston would be 1 pt back and mtl 2 depending on their game tonight

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
We're on home ice for this one, though, which means we get last change. If Housley is in any way competent, he won't be matching Jack up against Bergeron.
I seem to recall that matchup was fine with Phil in game 1 of the season, but do not remember well enough to state it with certainty.

We no longer have a shutdown pair to send after Bergeron's line though, so it might honestly be best to let it happen - Jack is probably our team's only hope to hold the puck for any meaningful amount of time while they're out there.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Go look again. Poms stopped producing last year and got moved off the top line. The same thing happened this year. He's got about 20 good games, if that, then he is spent.
Though his highs weren't as high last season, we have evidence that you're right from beyond Fall 2018. Recall the plays he made in San Jose with Jack and Kane, in games like that in October, compared to how he played with them after the first quarter of the season finished.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016

Bullshit. He did the same thing the previous three seasons in Minn. he is not a top line player on an average team. If he can’t produce without being propped up he should be in the press box.

Reactions: Chainshot

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
I'm fine with Pilut sitting the occasional game. He is young and playing on a new surface.

I am not fine with Botts sitting on his hands while this forward group is allowed to be complacent.

DatGuy

Sep 25, 2015
Bull****. He did the same thing the previous three seasons in Minn. he is not a top line player on an average team. If he can’t produce without being propped up he should be in the press box.
It’s his last year and his money will go to skinner. We just need to move Okposo to Zona so they can hit the cap floor.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
It’s his last year and his money will go to skinner. We just need to move Okposo to Zona so they can hit the cap floor.
I know its his last hurrah, but that doesn’t mean he needs a lineup spot. Put him in the press box.

Reactions: Chainshot

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Oh yay its 2017 all over again! With these kind of decisions it means we can kiss the playoffs goodbye. Lets sit back and evaluate the roster again!

Elie = Nolan. Guy has 1 point (which he got exactly a month ago) and they think its a good idea to play him with an already struggling Mittelstadt and the corpse of Okposo?
Pilut = Antipin treatment, except Pilut is FAR better than Antipin.
No callups until the end of the season...even though our middle 6 is complete trash. Smith is 24 and Olofsson is 23 ffs.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey

Ness

New Age Retro Hippie
Dec 5, 2008
Denver
I believe both of Jack's 4-point efforts in Boston came without Bergeron playing.

When Bergeron plays, it spells trouble for Jack.

Our bottom 9's streak will continue indefinitely.

3-0 Boston.
When Bergeron plays, it spells trouble for whoever he’s matched up against lol

Reactions: tsujimoto74

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I seem to recall that matchup was fine with Phil in game 1 of the season, but do not remember well enough to state it with certainty.

We no longer have a shutdown pair to send after Bergeron's line though, so it might honestly be best to let it happen - Jack is probably our team's only hope to hold the puck for any meaningful amount of time while they're out there.

I think it would be wiser just to accept that we're going to lose the battle when Bergeron's line is on the ice and sacrifice a line that wasn't going to do anything anyway. Get Eich's line out there against anyone else and hope his line can win their match-up by a bigger margin than Bergeron's does.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Find another team that hasn't made a single non-injury related call-up like Buffalo. I'm sure there's one or two others but it's pretty absurd given their lack of secondary scoring. Botterill stating they will look for reinforcements from Rochester later in the season is becoming utterly bizarre. Is he waiting until after we're out of a playoff spot?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad