GDT: Game 39: Bruins @ Sabres - 12/29 7pm ET (MSG-B, WGR 550)

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
what's going on with the Wedgewood call up?

WTF. why is Pilut out of the line up?

I suspect Pilut is out since Beaulieu is back and healthy. It's that "don't lose a roster spot because of injury" thing. Now if he sucks tonight, I expect Lawrence to be right back in.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
And no call up? Doubt we have anyone to replace Gus, but to go with a hobbled lineup without call ups is bizarre.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Gus out hurts their d-zone starts, the top PK pair, and what little cycle game any line generates. So that gets replaced by Poms. *sigh* Well... that's not going to go well.

Reactions: slip and Dubi Doo

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
At this point I want like 3 Rochester forwards up here. CJ for sure, Olofsson/Nylander, hell I'm willing to watch Justin Bailey play in the NHL over what we've got

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
And no call up? Doubt we have anyone to replace Gus, but to go with a hobbled lineup without call ups is bizarre.

We've got deserving guys sitting in Rochester waiting for a chance like this, too. Smith has certainly earned a look. Olofsson probably has also, and I think he could provide an immediate boost to our PP. (Nylander seems to have gotten injured last night against the Marlies, unfortunately.) When Botts said we could expect help from Rochester in the second half of the season, he must've meant it literally -- still a couple games shy of 41. :facepalm:

Reactions: sabresEH

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
The unfortunate thing about having like 6-7 players underperforming is that there's no way they call up enough players from Rochester to "try out" a new bottom 9. If not only to avoid decimating Rochester.

And while we (the fans) all have our least favorites of the bunch, in reality it's probably harder to bench/demote just one or two when they're all 'not performing' pretty equally right now. Not without potentially creating unnecessary rifts in a locker room still on the mend.

Reactions: Daz28

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Zemgus is by no means a top 4 player on the Sabres, but given how various Sabres are playing relative to the roles that are supposed to be managed by any given line or player, the only guys that would be more painful to see go down in the forward group are Jack/Sam/Skinner.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Losing Girgs for Pommer...ouch

Pilut out is just a meh, not a major dropoff

Replacing Pilut with Beaulieu isn’t that big of a drop off in terms of their value of play this season, which is more of a compliment towards Nate than an insult towards Larry.

But replacing Scandella with a Beaulieu is a major jump in play and should’ve been the move instead. And THAT is an insult towards Scandella.

Coaching continues to make head scratching decisions, will be interesting how the lines will be assembled.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I'm just dumbfounded we have a bottom nine consisting of Remi, Pominville, Sobotka, and Thompson. That's terrible, especially considering Remi and Thompson could be sent to the AHL, Sobotka or Pommers in the presser, and CJ Smith, Nylander, and Olofosson could get a shot to make the bottom 9 respectable.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Premature to call tonight's game a "must win..." but Montreal has crept within two points of us, and Boston within three points.

I wish Claude Julien was our coach....

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Pominville with his usual 20 games and out season.
I'm still not really buying the whole "Pominville wears out after 20 games" thing.

The drop off is obviously more because he got moved off of Eichel's line... which I'm not entirely convinced happened because Eichel's line stopped being effective. They've been beasting all year regardless of RW and Jason, for all he lacks at this point, was a good compliment to Jeff and Jack.

IMO, and I think it was the case last year too, he got moved off to help Reinhart get his game going and/or part of a greater roster shake up. Assuming Reinhart can be effective elsewhere (since Pominville clearly can't), they need to leave the J. Crew together and we can watch how Pommers magically becomes less old/tired.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kyndig

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
I believe both of Jack's 4-point efforts in Boston came without Bergeron playing.

When Bergeron plays, it spells trouble for Jack.

Our bottom 9's streak will continue indefinitely.

3-0 Boston.

Reactions: Vito_81

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I believe both of Jack's 4-point efforts in Boston came without Bergeron playing.

When Bergeron plays, it spells trouble for Jack.

Our bottom 9's streak will continue indefinitely.

3-0 Boston.

We're on home ice for this one, though, which means we get last change. If Housley is in any way competent, he won't be matching Jack up against Bergeron.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad