Pre-Game Talk: GAME 39 1/24 7:08 PM - THE BEAR goes hunting for DUCKS - NESN, ESPN+, 98.5 WBZ-FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
The frustrating thing about the Foligno signing is I actually don't think it would be all that bad if they used him properly. Foligno's offense has been gone for a long time. He's WELL below replacement level as an offensive force over the last three seasons. That part of his game is just over. He's still a really good defender. over the last three years his defensive impact at even strength is in the 90th percentile. Cassidy is starting him in the ozone 60% of the time. WHY? He's a black hole on offense. As previously mentioned, he's also on PP1. Nick Foligno is a terrible offensive hockey player. He should have been the fourth line LW all year. Cassidy buries that line every year. Lazar, for example, is starting in the ozone just 24% of the time. Lazar has similar defensive impact. Foligno-Nosek-Lazar is now the fourth line. It took 30+ games to figure out that optimization that seemed evident at the date of signing.

Do I like a $3.8m deal for 2 years for a 4th liner? I do not, but its a sunk cost now. Play him where he's most effective.

Reactions: LSCII and lopey

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
The frustrating thing about the Foligno signing is I actually don't think it would be all that bad if they used him properly. Foligno's offense has been gone for a long time. He's WELL below replacement level as an offensive force over the last three seasons. That part of his game is just over. He's still a really good defender. over the last three years his defensive impact at even strength is in the 90th percentile. Cassidy is starting him in the ozone 60% of the time. WHY? He's a black hole on offense. As previously mentioned, he's also on PP1. Nick Foligno is a terrible offensive hockey player. He should have been the fourth line LW all year. Cassidy buries that line every year. Lazar, for example, is starting in the ozone just 24% of the time. Lazar has similar defensive impact. Foligno-Nosek-Lazar is now the fourth line. It took 30+ games to figure out that optimization that seemed evident at the date of signing.

Do I like a $3.8m deal for 2 years for a 4th liner? I do not, but its a sunk cost now. Play him where he's most effective.

I could be wrong, but he hasn't played PP1 recently has he? Seems like Hall stole that job back. Don't like how Bruce puts Coyle out on 5 on 3's for Hall though

*edit, nevermind, saw the PP lines twitter. ughhhhh

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
This has nothing to do with the pre game.

I was on the main board and they were talking about players with interesting names.

I thought of Wacey Rabbit and looked him up, he is an assistant coach for Alberni Bulldogs 100 km away.
Weird. . . . .
You might say “just a hop, skip and a jump away”.

Reactions: BMC

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Aside from Marchand and Bergeron no one else crashes the net and parks themselves in front of the net on a regular basis this season. At least Foligno is willing to even tho he's really not good at it at this stage of his career.

I think Chris Kelly needs to have a chat with a few guys because he was a master at it and also pissing the hell out of goalies. I'm not shocked he developed back issues over his last few seasons because he was crosschecked regularly by the goalie or opposing D.

Bottom line, people want Foligno off the PP then someone needs to stand in front of the net, not move and take the abuse from the goalie.

Coyle is a far better option, he is bigger and stronger, has a longer reach and far superior hands to the completely ineffective Foligno.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I get why he's there, Bruce wants a big tough presence in front of the net to raise hell with the goaltender and tip shots in. Apparently Bruce thinks nobody else on the team has the fortitude to do that.
Lady Byng Cassidy and big and tough do belong in the same sentence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad