Post-Game Talk: GAME #38: Vancouver's 69th all-time win against TML comes on 4/20 (VAN 6, TOR 3)

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
That Hughes play on the Hoglander goal

Give it a look if you already haven't.

He's had some strong defensive plays these last 2 games.
He deserves a lot of criticism earlier in the year getting caught flat footed so much.

but he has been competing hard defensively these past 2.
he was stripping matthews last game beneath the goal line and in the corner.
I still believe he has the chops be passable defensively.

Last edited:

HelloCookie

Nov 23, 2016
Finland
After that slapper all I could think was, where do I get my Bockträsk Beast jersey because Höglander is becoming a real favorite of mine.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
Not sure why Green left that Utica pairing of Chatfield-Juolevi together most the night....they were were buried in terms of zone possession. I really wish we'd see Rathbone before too much longer. He already skates a lot better than Juolevi.

I was just going through the game stats and they weren't actually buried by the stats at 5v5. Infact amongst defenders Chatfield had the best Corsi differential at 57% and Juolevi was at 50%. Team overall was at 50%. Both had one or two glaring errors though, particularly Chatfield on that penalty.

Toronto Maple Leafs @ Vancouver Canucks, 2021-04-20

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I was just going through the game stats and they weren't actually buried by the stats at 5v5. Infact amongst defenders Chatfield had the best Corsi differential at 57% and Juolevi was at 50%. Team overall was at 50%. Both had one or two glaring errors though, particularly Chatfield on that penalty.

Toronto Maple Leafs @ Vancouver Canucks, 2021-04-20
Juolevi had few thread the needle passes that were impressive this game..If Vesey had been a bit more aware, he could have had a clear cut breakaway on one of the passes.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014

He deserves a lot of criticism earlier in the year getting caught flat footed so much.

I've also noticed he's way better since coming back. He's looked like last year's Hughes, who used his skill advantage to keep up and sometimes excel defensively.

On another note, I'm almost starting to believe the decades-old notion that the Leafs perpetually lack heart even when they have skill. Players don't use each other as well as they should. There's never any overwhelming sustained pressure, which they should be capable of.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker

And that's all he needs to be. Passable. Average.

If he can be just average defensively, he is an all around #1. Easily.

If he is a liability defensively, you want a top pairing quality defensive guy alongside him, or he's going to be consistently exposed against top talent. (Which is why not trying him with Nate Schmidt has just done my head in the entire season).

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
5ITRjbv.png

Already reaping the rewards from extending Tanner Pearson at the TDL.

Winning.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Hard to tell if we were that good or Toronto, right now, is that bad. Certainly their goaltending reeked something awful. However, give the Canucks credit as some of them are playing better than they have for most of the season.

Good

Holtby - again raising expectations he will be gone in ED. Huge factor in this game was goaltending.

Miller - his play in the middle of the ice has been crucial to any success the team has had going into the break and coming out of it. Whether he should be there on a permanent basis is open to consideration. Another very strong game.

Hughes - best game in a while. Carried the puck a little too much a couple of times early but as game went on started controlling things from the backend. Excellent at the Toronto blue line throughout and especially on the PP. When is skating like this he is so elusive.

Pearson - was thinking he was doing much then popped a couple. (although one of them required assistance of Toronto goaltender)

Sutter - solid both ways and showed that we at least have one player that can hit an open net. Fear is that Benning is starting to write up a long term contract. Give it a few games and history tells us Sutter will start wearing down big time.

Myers - a horse at times. Just play him a lot - obviously a player that needs to keep his engine hot and falters when he begins sitting in a 6 man rotation. Played big around his net.

Schmidt - very good in the late going. Good job of getting puck out of his end and up to the forwards.

Horvat - worked hard in the trenches and helped negate some of the Leafs' offense

Others

Boyd - better. Made a couple of nice set ups and shows he has NHL wheels. Looks a worthwhile pickup

Vesey - can't accomplish enough offensively. Looks very ordinary

Highmore - thought he was effective. Teams needs the kind of energy and intensity he brings. Looks like he can contribute to a good forecheck. Need time to figure out if he brings more than Gaudette (although he doesn't have to do too much to achieve that - at least he wasn't on his butt much of the time)

Chatfield - love the heart and the determination to get up on the offense but he puck watches on defense and when he does screw up, he screws up badly. Hopefully a work in progress who can use the experience he is getting sharpen up aspects of his game. Lots of compete but has fundamental problems on defense

Joulevi - for the first half of the first period though he was looking much better. He was getting open ice and making plays and creating some chances with his shots. But then Toronto started forechecking him hard and the problems began to show up. Started with a feeble back hand pass behind his net to Chatfield. Guy was already on Chatfield and puck immediately turned over leading to an number scrums and scoring chances around the Canuck net. All he needed to do was wheel as hard as could up his side while looking to move the puck. Then as game went on he started giving up the blue line and backing in, giving Leaf players the chance to walk to the top of the circle and shoot or dally with the puck till they wanted to move it. Another problem was his failure to get to the blue line after moving up the puck. Instead he watched the pass and coasted and if the puck got turned over he ended up too deep in his end to play the blueline. Moreover thought he had some very weak shifts around his net. Sometimes you see hope for this player but when you look more closely there are just too many basic problems in his game. Willing to live with that but he needs to push himself much harder both mentally and physically.

Virtanen - hit he lay on Nylander was important since Toronto was beginning to get physical. No major gaffes but no major highlights earlier. Looking back, taking Virtanen over Nylander was a huge mistake.

Hawryluk - doesn't look a NHL player. Kind of pest but really nothing more.

Hoglander - not his best game. However, scored an important goal and certainly was decent throughout.

Roussel - if that same knee or a significant injury to the other knee, you have to wonder about whether he is done permanently. Maybe another LTIR player next season. Also any speculation he was headed to Seattle will likely be ended.

Game made you wonder if, with improved play before the break and the effort since, the team was in a position to make a major late season run. Schedule was beginning to work in their favour after a over taxing early schedule. However, given the condensed schedule ahead it is hard to see them sustaining the pace need to be in the playoffs.

Reactions: Grantham

AzNightmare

Unregistered User
May 11, 2011
I've also noticed he's way better since coming back. He's looked like last year's Hughes, who used his skill advantage to keep up and sometimes excel defensively.

On another note, I'm almost starting to believe the decades-old notion that the Leafs perpetually lack heart even when they have skill. Players don't use each other as well as they should. There's never any overwhelming sustained pressure, which they should be capable of.

As much that I hated Hughes was severely affected badly by covid, it seemed like fatigue was the worse of two evils. Maybe he just needed to take a break and come back fresh.

---

When you have 4 players locked up for half a team's salary cap, it kind of gives me the impression you have 4 prima donna's on the team. Sure, they're elite players that deserve to get paid, but you have 4 guys who all want to the spotlight and don't work well together, or don't know how to work hard for success because they've just been naturally good at it since day one. Some great players just never had to face real adversary and when it finally comes, they just hit a brick wall and don't know how to battle hard to overcome it.

Reactions: Starships

Fraser28

Jan 13, 2013
Realistically, we should aim for at least 6 out of 8 possible points versus Ottawa to stay in the Playoffs race.

Definitely doable. That said, I predict we go 2-1-1 over our next 4 games.

Last edited:
Reactions: Red and Lemmiwinks

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Holtby stole that last game for the Canucks, and I know looking at the stat sheet one would be tempted to say that either a very solid Holtby, Hughes, Pearson, or Sutter stole this one for us, but this game was won by Hoglander.

Think about it. He changed EVERYTHING in this game. The Leafs were up 3-2 after just humilating the Canucks with a shorthanded goal, and they had ALL the momentum. All of it. It felt like the game just got taken over, and that was all she wrote for the Canucks little post-Covid comeback party.

But then Hoglander streaks down the wing, and totally surprises Rittich with -- not a particuarly HARD slapshot, but one that was released very quickly. That, coupled with a poor effort on the goaltenders part, made for a totally GAME-CHANGING play. Hoglander deserves so much credit.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
I feel like Hawryluk is a worthwhile bottom 6 player. He has slight rat vibes with some actual skill and is hard on the forecheck. He reminds me of Dorsett at times. I’d 100% keep him over Vesey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad