GDT: Game 38: New York Rangers @ Montreal Canadiens, 7pm, MSG2

Status
Not open for further replies.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Just watched Thursday's highlights. They need to change something with that kicking motion rule, there is no way in hell Kreider's goal should've counted.

They are so inconsistent, it really is a joke

Looking at the replay you can see the puck bouncing around in the crease area and Alex Vlasic trying to stick it out of the crease and he gets a piece of it and then right after it goes off Kreider's skates. That to me was the key to why the goal counted---it happening so fast that the refs thought that it going in wasn't so much because Chris decided to kick it in but because the Blackhawk defender put it into his skates.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Looking at the replay you can see the puck bouncing around in the crease area and Alex Vlasic trying to stick it out of the crease and he gets a piece of it and then right after it goes off Kreider's skates. That to me was the key to why the goal counted---it happening so fast that the refs thought that it going in wasn't so much because Chris decided to kick it in but because the Blackhawk defender put it into his skates.

Shouldn't really matter, should it? Kreider's intention was to kick (or redirect, whatever. That is the issue, both are the same to me) the puck in. Shouldn't count.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
The way the rule is being interpreted now you pretty much have to goose-step the puck into the net for it to be disallowed

Breaded Fox

Nov 8, 2010
NJ
Saturday nights in Montreal suck.

Get out of the first period
One of my favorite games of the last decade and a favorite NYR pic, are from a Saturday night in Montreal...

Screenshot_20240106_130433.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: tlk

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Shouldn't really matter, should it? Kreider's intention was to kick (or redirect, whatever. That is the issue, both are the same to me) the puck in. Shouldn't count.

FWIW I'm just giving you a reason why it did count. Whether a goal like that should count is another thing and these calls aren't always consistent. Cuylle's lost two goals this year...one deflecting in off his skate as he was setting up in the slot that was ruled kicked in which was more of a leap as a kicked in goal than this one and IMO should have counted. The other he lost because the ref said he meant to blow the whistle when he hardly would have had time between shot and it crossing the goal line. That should have counted too. I think Cuylle pointing down to the puck crossing the line irritated the refs enough where they decided to kill it. Again inconsistency plays a part in a lot of their decision making so when something goes your way best to take it and not complain.

KevinFinnerty

I bomb atomically...
Mar 7, 2020
St.Augustine
I don't know why I love playing against the Habs. ever since I was a kid the games had a more important feel to them for some reason and they're not even our rivals or anything like that. anyway LGR

Reactions: majordomo

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
The rule does not consider kicking and redirecting to be the same thing. One is a goal and one is not a goal.

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
I don't know why I love playing against the Habs. ever since I was a kid the games had a more important feel to them for some reason and they're not even our rivals or anything like that. anyway LGR
I think it stems from the fact that they were always the NHL "measuring stick". I loved watching these games more than against any other O6 team because they showed how the game should be played without the cheap stuff and physical bullying. Hockey is a graceful and beautiful game at it's core.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Playing in Montreal was agony before the Mark Messier trade. His first game as a Ranger was on a Saturday night & the Rangers hadn't in won in the Forum in something like 7 or 8 years. Rangers tied the game at 1 in the 3rd period & then won it in OT. I'm unsure if Messier had the winner, but the Habs dominance over us playing up there has been pretty much lifted ever since. I think we're 3-0 in playoff series against them.

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
It's only been one game, but I'm much happier OT is up here getting his first meaningful NHL action, with a chance to earn more ice time, rather than feeding Kane 20 minutes a game.

Looking forward to watching this one.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
It's only been one game, but I'm much happier OT is up here getting his first meaningful NHL action, with a chance to earn more ice time, rather than feeding Kane 20 minutes a game.

Looking forward to watching this one.
I just wish they'd pair him with Cuylle, and eventually Trochek, talk about a pesky annoying good skating, skilled line to play against. For now id like to see what they'd do with Brodzinski.

Reactions: redwhiteandblue

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
HUGE game from Laf, iI'm predicting 3 points in his home town(ish).

Lots of friends and family will be there.

JohnBlutarski

Apr 25, 2023
I have returned to give away 2 tickets to tonights showdown.
as it so happens, Air Canada is complete trash and our flight has been cancelled and we are unable to go. I always wanted to see a game at Bell and Air Canada has ruined the dream. Sad i know. Ol Bluto can't catch a break. Play me a song on the worlds smallest violin.
If you, or someone you know is a Rangers fan in Montreal, slide into my DMs. Ill need proof of the fandom. Currently putting them up on ticketmaster as well.
These are not to be resold.
Hfboard moderators and scabs fans need not apply.

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
I have returned to give away 2 tickets to tonights showdown.
as it so happens, Air Canada is complete trash and our flight has been cancelled and we are unable to go. I always wanted to see a game at Bell and Air Canada has ruined the dream. Sad i know. Ol Bluto can't catch a break. Play me a song on the worlds smallest violin.
If you, or someone you know is a Rangers fan in Montreal, slide into my DMs. Ill need proof of the fandom. Currently putting them up on ticketmaster as well.
These are not to be resold.
Hfboard moderators and scabs fans need not apply.
I guess "Air Cautious" is now "Air Carnage" in your book.

Reactions: JohnBlutarski
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad