GDT: [Game #38] Dallas Stars vs. Nashville Predators – 7:00 PM CT (BSSW)

Blindsummit

Jun 3, 2017
Alberta
Three home losses in a row. Two of which were against key division rivals, and one bottom feeder. Best defender out for weeks. Backup goalie overplayed and broken.
Can't bury golden scoring chances. Can't clear our own zone effectively. Defence problems never addressed by Nill coming home to roost.
It's January slump time.
Harley played well. Seggy, March, Matty nae bad. Robo a hint of what he used to be. But nowhere near enough from them all. No guts.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Dadonov was fine, no? Thought he was hustling all game.

Yeah don't really see much of a problem with Dadonov rn, and especially not tonight. Stankoven and Bourque almost certainly wouldn't be performing better than him right now.

Reactions: MBTendy

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Dadonov was fine, no? Thought he was hustling all game.
The truth is the main problem on that line is Benn’s even strength production drying up, but Benn isn’t ever getting demoted lower than he already has been as long as he’s a Dallas Star. So to find something new to get them going more, it comes down to who else you can try.

Reactions: Smelling Salt

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
This stretch is on Nill.

His cap gymnastics prevent us from having a 3rd NHL caliber goalie, and that is seriously hurting us right now.

I'm also getting a little tired of the coaching staff already. Don't feel like the right adjustments are being made. Or any, for that matter.

Reactions: Smelling Salt

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
This stretch is on Nill.

His cap gymnastics prevent us from having a 3rd NHL caliber goalie, and that is seriously hurting us right now.

I'm also getting a little tired of the coaching staff already. Don't feel like the right adjustments are being made. Or any, for that matter.
There are coaches who drive fans nuts by churning his lines too frequently. Then there’s DeBoer who sets his lines in August and changes them the next August.

Azzuri

Feb 6, 2017
At this point I want Hanley to be the #6 D and Hankappa to be the #7. dude is terrible.

Murray needs to play next game.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
No. There's not even enough cap space to call up one of them.
Just exceed the cap. We haven't proven there are any consequences. Make the league office do work to counter you.

Reactions: LT

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
Glad I didn't watch. Looking at the box score, looks like Lindell and Hakanpaa had a forgettable night, along with W4dg4.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Glad I didn't watch. Looking at the box score, looks like Lindell and Hakanpaa had a forgettable night, along with W4dg4.
It really wasn’t on them though. Go watch the highlights.

- first goal - Pavelski holds the puck too long near the faceoff dot and turns it over to a guy able to go to the slot and score
- second goal - 2 on 1 Lindell played it right but Wedgewood cheated so far off his post the shooter scored a very easy goal
- third goal - Marchment turns the puck over at the blue line. Lindell and Hakanpaa each get their guy, but no forward gets back in time to help giving the third attacker a clear path to the net. Wedgewood bought hard on the guy’s move
- fourth goal - 100% on Wedgewood for reacting so poorly to a weak wraparound

Reactions: catters078

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH

- first goal - Pavelski holds the puck too long near the faceoff dot and turns it over to a guy able to go to the slot and score
- second goal - 2 on 1 Lindell played it right but Wedgewood cheated so far off his post the shooter scored a very easy goal
- third goal - Marchment turns the puck over at the blue line. Lindell and Hakanpaa each get their guy, but no forward gets back in time to help giving the third attacker a clear path to the net. Wedgewood bought hard on the guy’s move
I see a lot of mention in this thread of board play, and that's exactly where Lindell and Hakanpaa struggle the most, especially clearing the puck off a board battle. They're both rather useless on the boards, which most teams seem to know.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
third goal - Marchment turns the puck over at the blue line. Lindell and Hakanpaa each get their guy, but no forward gets back in time to help giving the third attacker a clear path to the net. Wedgewood bought hard on the guy’s move
Beyond the turnover wtf was that decision to change from Marchment? Inexcusable

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg

The only one I'll disagree with is your third point. It only got to that because of Lindell making a horrendous play off the boards which lead to the Stars being hemmed into their zone in the first place, which eventually lead to an icing. With the players stuck on the ice, then the Marchment turnover happened. So yeah Marchment f***ed that up but the whole sequence started with Lindell's brain dead play.

Reactions: catters078

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
The only one I'll disagree with is your third point. It only got to that because of Lindell making a horrendous play off the boards which lead to the Stars being hemmed into their zone in the first place, which eventually lead to an icing. With the players stuck on the ice, then the Marchment turnover happened. So yeah Marchment f***ed that up but the whole sequence started with Lindell's brain dead play.

I think this teams biggest weakness is how poor they are at getting the puck out of the zone. Could watch highlights of the last 3 games and get more than 10 examples.

Poise with the puck in own zone while pressured is an understated NHL skill. Dallas is poor at it. In the case above, wasn't even pressured.

They Can cover up some if the other deficiencies on defense, but to me..the poor ability to exit the zone to at least reset positionally, Dallas is one of the worst in the league

Reactions: Elysian

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad