GDT: Game 38: Coyotes @ Avalanche - 6PM - FSAZ+ - Rick Tocchet's NHL18 Edition

NJ07102

Apr 15, 2012
Germany
This team isn't set up to play Swedish League hockey. We have an enforcer on the team for a reason. He did his job. Unfortunately the team didn't respond. This team doesn't need to play with jock straps on. Soft as all hell. Finally Rinaldo shows some sandpaper and the team just chokes. 4 goals in less than 5 minutes.

Having a goon on a team doesn't make a team less soft. Just like having no goon automatically makes a team a member of Swedish League hockey. Goons like Rinaldo are fortunately a thing of the past, very few teams have not realized that yet. One of these days even the Coyotes will find out that "players" like Rinaldo belong to an era long gone and have no place in modern NHL hockey.

Players on good NHL teams "show some sandpaper" every game they play. They do this not by sucker punching anybody, but instead by playing hard, taking their man, being strong on the stick and by not giving up.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Why didn’t Tocchet call a time out after goal #3 to steady the bus?

He never calls a time out. Could it be the vets are not putting out because of RT? It happened when RT was here the last time with TGO. I'm just trying to put my finger around the problems here. We can not be this bad of a team, we just can't. IF the vets are really this bad, Chayka and company have done some serious evaluation screw ups.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Exactly. Rinaldo was expecting, as he should, somebody to come after him. The guy coming had a Colorado jersey, wasn't wearing stripes, of course he hit him after the kid came at him with a little, thats how it works. The rookie was stupid, he won't do that agin or if he does, he will know a punch is coming. This isn't a peewee league, it's the NHL.

If someone did that to Keller you would be singing a different tune.:nod:

Reactions: Yandover

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
This team isn't set up to play Swedish League hockey. We have an enforcer on the team for a reason. He did his job. Unfortunately the team didn't respond. This team doesn't need to play with jock straps on. Soft as all hell. Finally Rinaldo shows some sandpaper and the team just chokes. 4 goals in less than 5 minutes.

We are very soft, that there is no doubt. After the hit, if Rinaldo was smart, he should have skated away in hopes of drawing a penalty from the Av's for retaliation from that hit. I don't call sucker punching someone sandpaper, rather stupidity.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think it's funny Duclair is the only one ever disciplined. I think it's even funnier people defend that.

I haven't. I think there should have been many players sitting in the press box this year. The players have not been accountable for their play, and the players know this.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I just re-watched the play. Girard came up to Rinaldo, but didn't throw a cross check, drop gloves, etc. Definitely an overreaction by Rinaldo.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Having a goon on a team doesn't make a team less soft. Just like having no goon automatically makes a team a member of Swedish League hockey. Goons like Rinaldo are fortunately a thing of the past, very few teams have not realized that yet. One of these days even the Coyotes will find out that "players" like Rinaldo belong to an era long gone and have no place in modern NHL hockey.

Players on good NHL teams "show some sandpaper" every game they play. They do this not by sucker punching anybody, but instead by playing hard, taking their man, being strong on the stick and by not giving up.
Apart from this incident, Rinaldo has been very clean all year. Not at all a goon until last night. Purely an energy player who was actually quite effective in the role and added to the team forecheck in a positive way. He reacted too quickly last night. It was a mistake.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Our next game is against the Avs so it will be interesting to see if any of the fireworks carry over.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Fans are so soft. A guy like Rinaldo is so necessary on a team of young rather soft offensive players.

Rinaldo actually has not cost his team this year. He plays an effective energy role on the team. What he did against the Aves is just old time hockey. He hit a guy. Knew there would be a response. An Ave player makes a beeline towards him. Rinaldo gives him a good punch to the face. a melee breaks out. I love it. If you don't like it go watch figure skating.

Reactions: Lilhoody

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Fans are so soft. A guy like Rinaldo is so necessary on a team of young rather soft offensive players.

Rinaldo actually has not cost his team this year. He plays an effective energy role on the team. What he did against the Aves is just old time hockey. He hit a guy. Knew there would be a response. An Ave player makes a beeline towards him. Rinaldo gives him a good punch to the face. a melee breaks out. I love it. If you don't like it go watch figure skating.
Your glory days of watching nhl hockey are way behind you, Rinaldo is a dinosaur.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
How? What good does that do him? He wasn't playing poorly. You don't sit guys for going cold.

He wasn't playing poorly, just that he looked a little tired, not getting to as many pucks. While I don't think watching a game will hurt him, I would have sat a vet.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

He's all go and no show. He hasn't hurt the team, until last night but I don't see the value of having him on a rebuilding team, especially when you dress Cousins and now Archibald. If he used his brains, he probably could have drawn a penalty and put us on the PP.

Reactions: _Del_ and Yandover

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
In person usually means more than 5.... No?
Means can do but doesn't have to be. Might just be a better chance to tell Rinaldo how closely he will be watched going forward but I'd bet on 5 plus.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
In person usually means more than 5.... No?

No less than.... but don’t quote me. There’s a list of infraction types and what the penalties are. Maybe mouser has it. But I expect he’ll get at least 10.

People have forgotten Rinaldo sat out the first 5 games this year for a suspension issued last year while he was with the Flyers.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
No less than.... but don’t quote me. There’s a list of infraction types and what the penalties are. Maybe mouser has it. But I expect he’ll get at least 10.

People have forgotten Rinaldo sat out the first 5 games this year for a suspension issued last year while he was with the Flyers.
He's not a repeat offender in League's eyes in regards to suspensions.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
What is the difference between a telephone hearing and an in-person hearing?

If the Department of Player Safety determines that any Supplemental Discipline from an infraction will result in five games or less or a fine of more than $5,000, the hearing is conducted by phone.
If the infraction might require a suspension of six games or more, the offending Player is offered the opportunity to an in-person hearing. In this case, the Player remains suspended until the hearing takes place. If the Player waives his right to an in-person hearing, the hearing will be conducted by phone.

Yandover

Nov 8, 2013

At least I won’t have to watch daily nonstop pre-game, post-game, first and second intermission interviews with Rinaldo for awhile. Unless They put him in the announcers box and ask him his opinion throughout the ENTIRE game. Seems like Forever that anyone connected with this team has a passionate love for fourth line scrubs.

Reactions: CC96

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad