GDT: GAME #38 - Canucks vs. Flames

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
If Hamhuis and Bieksa can get back to their 2011 form, every single night.

If Edler plays the best hockey of his career.

If garrison steps it up even more, he's already great but needs a bit more come playoff time.

If tanev can handle physical playpff hockey.

If Ballard can stay healthy.

If all of those things happen we can make it out of the west. But there's no room for error with this D. When comparing to the Hawks, just ignore bottom pairs, Keith and Seabrook will play 30 minutes a night. We don't have a single D-Man that's ever done that, our guys struggle after 25 minutes.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
If Hamhuis and Bieksa can get back to their 2011 form, every single night.

If Edler plays the best hockey of his career.

If garrison steps it up even more, he's already great but needs a bit more come playoff time.

If tanev can handle physical playpff hockey.

If Ballard can stay healthy.

If all of those things happen we can make it out of the west. But there's no room for error with this D. When comparing to the Hawks, just ignore bottom pairs, Keith and Seabrook will play 30 minutes a night. We don't have a single D-Man that's ever done that, our guys struggle after 25 minutes.

It's a lot of if's but I think it's definitely doable.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Anaheim, chicago, boston, pittsburgh all have much better rosters. We would need to be EXTREMELY lucky to make it to finals

Disagree with Anahiem, they might have better forwards but I'll take the Canucks defence and goaltending over the Ducks anyday. Plus according to Fenwick metric standings(based on puck possession/shots), the Ducks have benefited from some luck so far this season and are due to regress a bit. I do agree with CHI, BOS and PIT though and I'd say LA is just as good as the Canucks as well, especially if/when they get a d-man or two back from injury and with the way they wore down teams last year with their size over a playoff series.

WestleySnipez

Christmas came early
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver. Duh.
Anaheim, chicago, boston, pittsburgh all have much better rosters. We would need to be EXTREMELY lucky to make it to finals

ANAHIEM
IMO I don't think Anaheim has a better/deeper roster. Their first line is great pretty even with the Sedins, but their second line is worse than ours will be. Cogliano is much worse than Roy or Kesler, he has barely been able to get 30 points in past seasons, and is only now living up to expectations. Koivu is having a bounce back year, but he's 38 and not nearly as fast as our skaters. Selanne is the only player I really consider to be on par with the players that will be on our 2nd line come next week.

Etem, Cogliano, Fowler, and most of their bottom 6 have little or no playoff experience, that's a huge factor.

Our defense is better than the Ducks as well, it's just been slumping as of late, so it seems as though they are better.

Goaltending there is no two ways about it, we have them beat. Fasth maybe having a great year, but Schneider is better, Loungo is there if we need him, and we have more playoff experience in goal then they do.

BOSTON
I'd say we're almost the exact same team as they are with more skill on our first line, with the exception of Seguin. They're gritty, we're more offensively powered. Obviously we don't have a Chara, but we've pretty much mirrored each other since 2011.

CHICAGO
Chicago's got two great lines to match ours, and a better bottom 6. But it all depends how the lines are made for our team when we are healthy. Right now we have a worse roster than them, but not for long.

Our defense are pretty even, but we have them beat in Goaltending.

Crawford hasn't made it past the first round in the NHL, Emery had the run with Ottawa 6 years ago, but we have Schneider and Luongo, the best tandem in the NHL, with a ton of experience from that Cup Run two seasons ago.

PITTSBURGH
Pittsburgh is by far the most dangerous team. Even without Crosby in the lineup, they still have a fantastic two lines, Malkins line better than the Sedins, but Jokinens doesn't match up well against our second once Kess is back next week.

They have a better bottom 6 then us, their 3rd line could be a second line, kind of like ours maybe able to, depending on how AV sets the club up when we are healthy.

Defense again, I have to call this balanced with ours. Maybe Letang-Martin is better than Edler-Hamhuis when both pairs are at their best, but not by much.

Goalies they have us beat, one of the few teams that do, provided Fleury can play better than he has this season, that would be a team's saving grace in the Playoffs against the Pens.

TL;DR: We're a Top 5 club with this lineup, injuries just prevented us from doing as well as we could have this season. We can match these teams (maybe with the exception of Pittsburgh)

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Disagree with Anahiem, they might have better forwards but I'll take the Canucks defence and goaltending over the Ducks anyday. Plus according to Fenwick metric standings(based on puck possession/shots), the Ducks have benefited from some luck so far this season and are due to regress a bit. I do agree with CHI, BOS and PIT though and I'd say LA is just as good as the Canucks as well, especially if/when they get a d-man or two back from injury and with the way they wore down teams last year with their size over a playoff series.

Ryan
Perry
Getzlaf
Selanne

Vs

Sedin
Sedin
Kesler
Roy

9/10 non canucks fans take anaheims big 4

Frankiedarling

Jan 27, 2012
Seattle, Washington
I'm really happy to see some enthusiasm here again. I said during the trade deadline that the acquisition of Roy fills our biggest need, and though there wasn't much agreement then, it's cool to see more consensus now. It's just brutal what having no true centers does to a team, and it's amazing what happens when you fill that crucial position properly.

It's still anyone's game, the playoffs are cruel like that. But we have a legitimate shot.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Ryan
Perry
Getzlaf
Selanne

Vs

Sedin
Sedin
Kesler
Roy

9/10 non canucks fans take anaheims big 4

No argument there, but when I look at the overall rosters(bottom 6 forwrds, defence, goaltending) when healthy, I'd take the Canucks.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
I agree, but Anaheim's top 4 forward set is head and shoulders above ours in a playoff situation. However, our next 8 forwards blow their's out of the water.

And no, I won't stop comparing rosters. It's what I do.

Anaheim's top 4 vs Vancouver's top 4 is a solid advantage for Vancouver IMO. The difference between 3 centers and 1 winger and 1 center and 3 wingers is immense in hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad