Pre-Game Talk: Game 38 4/10 2:07 PM - THE BEAR returns to Grittyland - NESN, SN1, 98.5 WBZ-FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Well, I feel one shouldn't be preferred over the other at this point. We are at what I feel is a delicate transition . Giving one 3 starts in a row is showing bias , no? No reason not to alternate between the two. Sway can play on Sunday too, no?
Vladar has already played 4 games and this is Swayman's 3rd so they are being played evenly.

I don't think there is any bias whatsoever.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Vladar has already played 4 games and this is Swayman's 3rd so they are being played evenly.

I don't think there is any bias whatsoever.

Oh come on, you know what I mean.

So hypothetically , me and you are both project mangers.

You get 4 projects but as soon as I come along you get no more projects, how does that feel?

Last edited:

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Oh come on, you know what I mean.

So hypothetically , me and you are both project mangers.

You get 4 projects but as soon as I come along you get no more projects, how does that feel?
If Swayman gets the win on Saturday and Rask gets the start on Sunday, the writing is on the wall for Vladar . Hopefully, Vladar gets his chance on Sunday and does well.

Reactions: JOKER 192

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
They would be nuts to shop the kids, the return would be nowhere as good as the vet goalies. From what I have seen the kids can carry the load next year. Swayman is the best prospect we have had since Mac and Pasta. If they walk in summer the 16.5 million cap freedom of no Rask, Krech and Halak, will allow them to seek younger dynamic players for the longer term.

Play Vladar Sunday, Rask can rest, besides the Caps know the book on Rask not Swayman or Vlad.

Reactions: Caper Bruins fan

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I think you are making a bigger deal out of this than it needs to be.

That could be, I just don't see ant reason to prefer one over the other at this point and that is what is happening IMO. I'm afraid it's just a coach covering his ass rather than doing what's best for the team and I have no time for that. I may be wrong.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Well, I feel one shouldn't be preferred over the other at this point. We are at what I feel is a delicate transition . Giving one 3 starts in a row is showing bias , no? No reason not to alternate between the two. Sway can play on Sunday too, no?

I think riding the Sway wave for a 3rd game is fine, and if I were Vladar I would understand that. However, regardless of what happens with the veterans, the next time one of the youngsters plays, whether that's on Sunday or later on, if Dan doesn't get the nod then you'd have to start seriously asking yourself questions. Vladar's done nothing wrong in his time with the big Bruins, save for that one errant pass, and he deserves further chances same as Swayman does. I think we'll see him very soon, and if we don't then for sure I think we'll be entitled to start wondering what is going on. Let's just see what happens.

Reactions: Alicat

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
That could be, I just don't see ant reason to prefer one over the other at this point and that is what is happening IMO. I'm afraid it's just a coach covering his ass rather than doing what's best for the team and I have no time for that. I may be wrong.
Perhaps, but I think there are too many unknown variables to really jump to conclusions. Is Rask close to coming back ? We don’t know . What about Halak ? Again we don’t know . I would of went with Swayman on Saturday just to give the Caps a different look with Vladar on Sunday. What’s the rush to get Rask back in ? 6 games in 9 days upcoming, let the kids decide who really is better and then go back to Rask .

Reactions: Alicat

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I think Bruce is in an interesting spot but I don't think he's favoring Swayman over Vladar.

Like I said a few posts ago, Vladar has played 4 games and with tomorrow, Swayman will have 3 games under his belt. I expect Vladar to play Sunday and then we will go from there.

It is a great problem to have and our future is bright with both of them.

I only hope people don't start pushing the you can only like one or the other crap that is reminiscent of the late 90's - early 2000's boy band fan wars.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I think Bruce is in an interesting spot but I don't think he's favoring Swayman over Vladar.

Like I said a few posts ago, Vladar has played 4 games and with tomorrow, Swayman will have 3 games under his belt. I expect Vladar to play Sunday and then we will go from there.

I only hope people don't start pushing the you can only like one or the other crap that is reminiscent of the late 90's - early 2000's boy band fan wars.

Maybe I'm not saying it right but that is exactly what I'm advocating against. I think the Bruins are in a very good position here. I've watched both these guys play all their games in Providence this season. I predicted before they played a single game that they were both legit (you can check the Providence Bruins thread) . They both have their flaws and when the book gets out they will be exposed. Vlady issue is rebound control, Swayman is too aggressive and when teams start reviewing video it will be up to each one to adjust when the teams play to their weaknesses.

Bottom line , I think this can be one of the most dominant tandems in the league going forward and I think both will be an important part of that. If that is to be the case they will need to share the duties. No favorites. I think both will need the other to be successful.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Maybe I'm not saying it right but that is exactly what I'm advocating against. I think the Bruins are in a very good position here. I've watched both these guys play all their games in Providence this season. I predicted before they played a single game that they were both legit (you can check the Providence Bruins thread) . They both have their flaws and when the book gets out they will be exposed. Vlady issue is rebound control, Swayman is too aggressive and when teams start reviewing video it will be up to each one to adjust when the teams play to their weaknesses.

Bottom line , I think this can be one of the most dominant tandems in the league going forward and I think both will be an important part of that. If that is to be the case they will need to share the duties. No favorites. I think both will need the other to be successful.
Wow . You watch a lot of hockey . For me , it’s just Bruins games this year . I will watch snippets of other games but really don’t pay attention. Are both these guys ready now to play regularly in the NHL ?

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Wow . You watch a lot of hockey . For me , it’s just Bruins games this year . I will watch snippets of other games but really don’t pay attention. Are both these guys ready now to play regularly in the NHL ?

This year is kinda special for me. I work in the hospitality industry and as you can imagine not a good year for that industry. Hence, lots of time on my hands , I love hockey so I got me both the NHL and AHL package and ya , I've been watching and rewatching a lot of hockey.

To answer your question , there aren't a lot of great prospects down in providence but Both Vladar and Swayman are legit. I stand behind them all the way, I'm ready to trade both Rask and Halak at this point. Sadly because of they're current status they aren't very valuable pieces but Swayman and Vladar will do no worse and probably a lot better than them IMO.

Besides them they have 3 Dmen who have NHL potential and sadly the only NHL forward they have is Lauko. Two of those DMen (Zech and Achan) are undersized and Lyle has the size but only an outside chance as a NHLer. Now that's my opinion and there are defiantly better trained eyes than mine who post regularly in the Providence Bruins thread . It's a great way for fans who don't have the time to watch the games but like to keep up with things to stay informed. I recommend posters liken Saxon Eric, Bruins Network, DominicT, Arider1990 who follow them more than most.

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto
Look , I have watched every game both of these guys have played this year. There has been little evidence to separate one form the other the way Cassidy is doing right now.

Vladar has been every bit as good as Swaywan has , it's stupid to prefer one over the other at this point. Look, I think Swayman has the higher upside but we haven't seen enough to determine that , to go all in on Swayman the way Cassidy is doing is self -serving and not in the interest of the Boston Bruins, shame on you Butch.
He is riding the hot hand. Why is this so hard to understand? It is not a slight on Vladar. You have a goalie that has won 2 straight, played fantastic in both and is rested. Why in God's name would you not give him the start?

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
I don't think there is a right answer to Swayman vs. Vlader at this point. The way I see it, Vlader's had 4 starts, Swayman's only had 2. Both have looked great, Swayman is hot and has less game's played, might as well give him the start to bring it closer to even.

I think Rask is close to returning so the NHL window for this season for these two is closing, but they'll be back soon.

Reactions: b in vancouver

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Just a quick heads up - here in God's Country ( aka Canada ) the Game has been moved from Sportsnet One to Sportsnet Pacific, Sportsnet East, Sportsnet Onario and Sportsnet West. And by the way - a big FU to Sportsnet for getting in a not so subtle shot at the Bruins. After the game each of the Sportsnet channels are airing different episodes of " NHL Classics " and they all show Bruin losses in big games:

Sportsnet Pacific: Game 6 vs Chicago ( 2013 SC Final )
Sportsnet East: Game 6 vs Philadelphia ( 1974 SC Final )
Sportsnet Ontario: Game 7 vs Philadelphia ( 2010 Eastern Conference Semi-Finals )
Sportsnet West: Game 5 vs Edmonton ( 1990 SC Final )

I guess they didn't want to air a classic Toronto game since the footage is only in black and white. :nod:

Last edited:

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005

I think you're over-thinking it and borrowing headaches.
I wouldn't have minded Vladar in net but they're going to have to decide which one to send back down soon - so give Swayman another shot while also seeing how Vladar handles not playing for a week. It's a test for both players. If Vladar stays up he'll be sitting a lot. You find out if he's o.k. with it.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
This year is kinda special for me. I work in the hospitality industry and as you can imagine not a good year for that industry. Hence, lots of time on my hands , I love hockey so I got me both the NHL and AHL package and ya , I've been watching and rewatching a lot of hockey.

To answer your question , there aren't a lot of great prospects down in providence but Both Vladar and Swayman are legit. I stand behind them all the way, I'm ready to trade both Rask and Halak at this point. Sadly because of they're current status they aren't very valuable pieces but Swayman and Vladar will do no worse and probably a lot better than them IMO.

Besides them they have 3 Dmen who have NHL potential and sadly the only NHL forward they have is Lauko. Two of those DMen (Zech and Achan) are undersized and Lyle has the size but only an outside chance as a NHLer. Now that's my opinion and there are defiantly better trained eyes than mine who post regularly in the Providence Bruins thread . It's a great way for fans who don't have the time to watch the games but like to keep up with things to stay informed. I recommend posters liken Saxon Eric, Bruins Network, DominicT, Arider1990 who follow them more than most.

I just used 'legit' to describe them an hour ago. They seem legit. I agree The Bruins have to be careful in how they handle them but don't agree that three consecutive starts when the team is starting to 'feel it' is a bad idea.

Biggest fear (in this regard or else I'd have to delve into my insanity and I don't have the time nor money to ramble about my idiosyncrasies ) is that they get into a Rask vs. Pogge situation and make the wrong choice. But I'm pretty confident that they're handling it well.

Reactions: JOKER 192

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016

Which army were you part of?

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
I think Gee Wally is right.

Swayman/Vladar has a very good chance of being a Moog/Lemelin duo for Boston.

There is no if/or. It's both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad