North America
Having Hayton back could make a big difference

Schmaltz Hayton Keller. Schmaltz Kerfoot Keller
Maccelli Bugstad Crouse. Maccelli Bugstad Crous
Kerfoot Cooley Zucker. Cooley Hayton Zucker
OBrien McBain Carcone

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Cooley has looked pretty good in 2024 so far at least. Seen some positive signs anyway. But yeah, the team has been absolute junk in the new year.
Let's give the opposition some credit here. The last two games against two very good teams with very good goalies has shown us that we have a ways to go. It's only going to get tougher from here on in. These games are all a learning experience. Baby steps.

LittlePipes

Vortech V7
Feb 22, 2020
January is going to be really tough

Florida - L, Islanders - L, Winnipeg, Boston, Calgary, Minny, Calgary, Van, Nsh, Pitt, Florida, Tampa, Carolina

Didn't someone say we had one of the easiest schedules for the remainder of the season? I don't see it

We could go ofer in January

February:
Vegas, Nashville, Philly, Minnesota, Carolina, Colorado, Edmonton, Toronto, Winnipeg, Montreal, Toronto

March:
Ottawa, Wsh, Chi, Minny, Detroit, Chi, Minny, Det, NJ, Dallas, Seattle, Dallas, CBus, Nash, NYRags

April:
Van, Vegas, SJ, Seattle, Van, Edmonton, Calgary, Edmonton
unless the level of play and goal tending is bumped up to the next level, and soon, we’re gonna be sucking bubbles. I agree Hayton back in the lineup is a plus, but that aint nearly enough. I’ve often wondered if the players are to relaxed owing to the relatively warm weather, as compared to the crap weather elsewhere this time of year.

unless the level of play and goal tending is bumped up to the next level, and soon, we’re gonna be sucking bubbles. I agree Hayton back in the lineup is a plus, but that aint nearly enough. I’ve often wondered if the players are to relaxed owing to the relatively warm weather, as compared to the crap weather elsewhere this time of year.
but, hey , the Panthers. nix that idea.

but, hey , the Panthers. nix that idea.
its a LOFT problem. Lack Of F**kin Talent

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
This is just not the type of team we are good against yet. I feel like there are a couple different "builds" of teams right now.

There are
Defense first teams, but with varying offensive output (SEA, PHI, LAK, CAR, CGY)

Swiss army knives aka jack of all trades masters of none (AZ, VAN, MIN, WSH, COL, DET, TB, BUF)

Big burley and mean teams who can score (VGK, FLO, NYI, BOS, WPG DAL)

Run and Gun, some of which have good goaltending (EDM, NJD, NYR, OTT, TOR, NYR, PIT)

Directionless teams (ANA, CBJ, NSH, STL) and Rebuilders (CHI, SJ)

I think teams can be good or bad in any of these piles (besides true rebuilders who are just bad). If this was paper rock scissors then jack of all teams do best against run and gun and worst against big and burley. Run and gun are best against the defense first, but bad against swos army knives. And defense first seem to handle the big and burley teams the best but struggle vs the run and guns. But big and burley seem to be best against any team build. And directionless teams just seem to be bad against anyone but have surprising wins against anyone

This is totally abstract and not based on anything but the eye test. Some teams are kind of in-between multiple builds too. But just something I've observed and hadn't actually written out until now and felt like it was a fun way to waste ten minutes.

LittlePipes

Vortech V7
Feb 22, 2020
This is just not the type of team we are good against yet. I feel like there are a couple different "builds" of teams right now.

There are
Defense first teams, but with varying offensive output (SEA, PHI, LAK, CAR, CGY)

Swiss army knives aka jack of all trades masters of none (AZ, VAN, MIN, WSH, COL, DET, TB, BUF)

Big burley and mean teams who can score (VGK, FLO, NYI, BOS, WPG DAL)

Run and Gun, some of which have good goaltending (EDM, NJD, NYR, OTT, TOR, NYR, PIT)

Directionless teams (ANA, CBJ, NSH, STL) and Rebuilders (CHI, SJ)

I think teams can be good or bad in any of these piles (besides true rebuilders who are just bad). If this was paper rock scissors then jack of all teams do best against run and gun and worst against big and burley. Run and gun are best against the defense first, but bad against swos army knives. And defense first seem to handle the big and burley teams the best but struggle vs the run and guns. But big and burley seem to be best against any team build. And directionless teams just seem to be bad against anyone but have surprising wins against anyone

This is totally abstract and not based on anything but the eye test. Some teams are kind of in-between multiple builds too. But just something I've observed and hadn't actually written out until now and felt like it was a fun way to waste ten minutes.
nice analysis !
a poll asking which type of team the coyotes should aspire to would be cool

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
nice analysis !
a poll asking which type of team the coyotes should aspire to would be cool
anything but the top 1 (defense first) and bottom 1 (directionless)...I'll take any of the middle 3

2 - Swiss Army Knife
3 - Big, Burly & Mean
4 - Run & Gun (knowing that this one is the most difficult to win the cup with)

So I'd prefer 2 or 3, but gimme 4 over 1 & 5

We did the whole 1 thing w/Tippett and Tocchet for too many years for me to go back to that type of team

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
anything but the top 1 (defense first) and bottom 1 (directionless)...I'll take any of the middle 3

2 - Swiss Army Knife
3 - Big, Burly & Mean
4 - Run & Gun (knowing that this one is the most difficult to win the cup with)

So I'd prefer 2 or 3, but gimme 4 over 1 & 5

We did the whole 1 thing w/Tippett and Tocchet for too many years for me to go back to that type of team
Same here

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Some of the comments here make it sound like we played poorly for the full 60 minutes. What I saw after a horrendous first period was the Coyotes dominating for the entire second period, but with one breakaway against. Just couldn’t get one past Sorokin.

Valimaki’s giveaway was bad, but that’s a stoppable shot, as was the one that put them up 4–1. I’m typically not one to blame goalies, but Ingram lost that game for us.

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
Sanford has been better than I expected....and better than any other 12th forward callup they've tried.

Maybe he'll get a goal tonight if Keller is double shifted with him.
Hmmm....waived today...... the opposite impact of starting a 'X' player sucks thread.

Who should I complement next?

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
Some of the comments here make it sound like we played poorly for the full 60 minutes. What I saw after a horrendous first period was the Coyotes dominating for the entire second period, but with one breakaway against. Just couldn’t get one past Sorokin.

Valimaki’s giveaway was bad, but that’s a stoppable shot, as was the one that put them up 4–1. I’m typically not one to blame goalies, but Ingram lost that game for us.
Ingram absolutely could have been better, but he didn't lose the game. You can't score 1 goal and ever expect to win.

Reactions: Jakey53

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad