BRUINS GDT GAME 37 5:07 PM - @ WHALERS The Whale Is Back!!! - NESN, SN1, WBOS-FM 92.9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

upload_2018-12-23_5-24-2.png

upload_2018-12-23_5-20-35.png

upload_2018-12-23_5-21-38.png

upload_2018-12-23_5-17-49.png

upload_2018-12-23_5-25-28.png

upload_2018-12-23_5-26-7.png

upload_2018-12-23_5-36-10.png

upload_2018-12-23_6-9-38.png

upload_2018-12-23_6-10-17.png

upload_2018-12-23_6-11-18.png

Tonight's Officials

FL38.jpg
FL17.jpg

Referees Francois St Laurent (38), Frederick L'Ecuyer (17)
Linesmen Shandor Alphonso (52), Scott Cherrey (50)

TONIGHT’S GAME

The Bruins visit the Hurricanes tonight in the 2nd of 3 games between these teams this season and the 2nd of 2 games at PNC Arena this year … The Bruins are 20-12-4 this season and are 7-8-4 on the road … They are 4-2-0 vs. Metropolitan Division opponents and are 13-8-1 vs. Eastern Conference foes.

The Bruins are completing tonight their 8th of 14 sets of back-to-back games this season … They are currently 4-3-1 in the 1st game of those sets and are 6-0-1 in the 2nd games so far.

The Bruins are playing game 3 tonight of their 9th of 17 sets of 3-games-in-4-nights this season, as they played ANA on 12/20 (3-1 win) & NSH on 12/22 (5-2 win) … They are 3-5-1 in game 1s, 6-1-2 in game 2s and 6-1-1 in game 3s of those series this season.

MILESTONES APPROACHING

Jake DeBrusk is 2 games short of his 100th NHL game.

Tuukka Rask is 3 games shy of his 469th NHL/Bruins game, which will be the most by a goaltender in team history.

Matt Grzelcyk is 3 games shy of his 100th NHL game.

INJURIES (Total man-games lost in 2018-19: 143) -

Zdeno Chara: Lower body injury suffered 11/14 at COL (IR)
Jake DeBrusk: In concussion protocol
Kevan Miller: Cartilage injury to larynx suffered 11/26 at TOR (IR)

BOSTON vs CAROLINA, LIFETIME SERIES

The Bruins and Hurricanes are meeting for the 202nd time in their histories (includes Carolina as Hartford Whalers) with the Bruins having a 108-70-16-7 record and a 684-580 scoring advantage in those games.

The Bruins are 49-38-9-4 lifetime in 100 road games vs. the Hurricanes franchise with a 338-320 scoring edge in those contests.

The Bruins have taken points out of their last 16 games vs. Carolina at 11-0-5, including a 5-0-3 stretch in Carolina, with their last regulation loss to the Hurricanes a 4-2 road setback on 4/13/2013 … They won the 1st game of this season’s series by a 3-2 score in Carolina on 10/30.

Fun Fact: The Bruins are 38-29-3-7 vs. the Hurricanes since they relocated from Hartford at the start of the 1997-98 season.

WAYBACK MACHINE
mr-peabody-and-sherman.jpg

RALEIGH, N.C. -- Even with the recent struggles, there's something to look forward to for the Carolina Hurricanes on Sunday.

It's a much-discussed "Whalers Night" when the Boston Bruins visit for the game at PNC Arena.
The Hurricanes are recognizing their history. For the first time since relocating to North Carolina in 1997, the team will wear retro Hartford Whalers jerseys. The vintage green sweaters will be part of the scene.

"We practiced in the gear the other day and it kind of took me back, 'What are we doing?'" Carolina coach Rod Brind'Amour said.

The game will include several Whalers-themed off-ice activities. Plus, former Whalers standout Mike Rogers will be honored during a ceremonial faceoff.

The Hurricanes also will don the Whalers logo for its road game on March 5 in Boston.

Despite the historical perspective, it's still a chance for the Hurricanes to get going in the right direction in the final game of a five-game homestand.

"I know it's going to be pretty exciting for a lot of people," Brind'Amour said of the Whalers memories. "Different, and I think that's good. But it's still another game."

It's another one the Hurricanes desperately need to win. They're 2-6-2 in their last 10 outings.

The Bruins are feeling good after a 5-2 home victory over the Nashville Predators on Saturday. It marked a tremendous return to action for veteran center Patrice Bergeron.He notched four points (two goals, two assists) in the game.

"I've been missing it for so long," said Bergeron, who missed the previous 16 games.
Bergeron, who's in his 15th season, registered his 300th career goal in Saturday's game.
"I was trying to talk to the guys and be vocal that we have to enjoy it and go out there and just have fun," Bergeron said.

Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy, whose team holds a three-game winning streak, will have to manage a tweaked lineup with Bergeron apparently going strong upon his return.

"It's more about it's an opportunity for someone to get going offensively," Cassidy said of updates to the line combinations.

But with Bergeron back, it "makes us that much better," the coach said. "We've been playing well lately without him, but he just gives an emotional boost. ... It's a guy that you can throw out there any time and you know he's going to get the job done."

Plus, the Bruins don't want to disrupt rhythm developed by some young players recently promoted. Winger Ryan Donato said he's becoming more comfortable.

"All those habits you get when you're playing in every situation," Donato said.

After three consecutive starts for goalie Jaroslav Halak, Cassidy indicated that it will be Tuukka Rask in the net against Carolina.

In the last two games combined, Carolina has a total of 78 shots but only one goal.

The Hurricanes used goalie Curtis McElhinney, who was coming off an injury and in game action for the first time since Dec. 5, in Saturday night's loss to the Pittsburgh Penguins. That figures they'll turn to Petr Mrazek for Sunday's game.

Boston beat Carolina 3-2 on Oct. 30 in Raleigh.

Last edited:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Photos: Remembering the Hartford Whalers - Hartford Courant

It was one of the saddest sporting events I have ever covered.

Karmanos did not trust the Governor of Connecticut and for good reason, as he would ultimately wind up in jail. His plan was to move the Whalers to Auburn Hills, Michigan but the NHL said no way but you can go anywhere else that doesn't have a team and he picked Raleigh.

Moving to North Carolina cost Karmanos millions in the end as had he stayed in Connecticut his cable TV revenue would have exploded. The Whalers were allowed to televise in Boston as NESN did not want to be blocked in Connecticut.

SI's hockey writer explained the mess in 1997 and some of you will be surprised who the author is.

NATURAL DISASTER THE HURRICANES HAVE STORMED INTO NORTH CAROLINA, BUT THEY HAVEN'T BLOWN ANYONE AWAY

Deleted

Nov 11, 2017
They are starting to find a groove now over the last couple of weeks. 6 wins in 8, injured players coming back, younger guys starting to put their hands up. Hopefully another 2 points tonight.

Also these GDT's are fantastic, I've never seen such detailed info like that on any other sports forum. Thanks Fenway and the others who put the effort into producing them.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I remember watching Whalers games on Sportschannel when the B’s were off.

I played as they aor in NHLPA 93 on Genesis because I liked the uniforms, but the team sucked.

Mixed feelings about the Canes wearing the Whalers unis.

They’re not the Whalers.

Didn’t realize that when they and the Nordiques relocated, they released the retired numbers into circulation. Edwards said yesterday he’ll go on a rant if Dougie Hamilton comes out wearing #19.

Reactions: Alicat and gumgum

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
they need to get rick peckham to fly to carolina to do this game. tampa is off anyway.
should be a fun game, went to a lot of whalers games as a kid and that song is smokin.
canes are like an injured young fawn right now. staal out again. aho is dangerous and
svechnikov is the real deal, but get the first goal and mow them down.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
If Carolina is going to insist on wearing these jerseys, I wish they'd play a couple of their home games in Hartford. Having lived in the Hartford area for a few years, I know it's mean a lot to a lot of people to see them back in the city.

Alas, that is not the case, and no sense in actually fussin' about it. I'll enjoy seeing the whale again, and hope the Bruins kick the living **** out of the Whalercanes.

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
Well I don't get to watch the Pats today but at least I have this to kick back and enjoy! Mixed feelings on the Whaler sweaters as well. Just, I don't know. Seems more cruel than nostalgic. Maybe it's just me. I remember that brawl in 1990, I was nursing my first born when it happened and let's just say I found out he was teething the hard way when I jumped up yelling LMAO

Let's go B's!

Reactions: Fenway

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
feels like the b's are ready to roll like they did last year when all their bodies started coming back.

Reactions: TCB

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
If Carolina is going to insist on wearing these jerseys, I wish they'd play a couple of their home games in Hartford. Having lived in the Hartford area for a few years, I know it's mean a lot to a lot of people to see them back in the city.

Alas, that is not the case, and no sense in actually fussin' about it. I'll enjoy seeing the whale again, and hope the Bruins kick the living **** out of the Whalercanes.

I agree. Hartford games would be great on the schedule

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Amazing GDT as always. Thank you!

Can't wait to see the old Hartford Whalers tonight. Go Bruins!
It’s so easy to take for granted the high quality of our Game Day Threads because it’s what we’ve come to get used to.

I’ve been doing a lot of lurking on other teams’ pages and many of them have what we’d consider to be bare bones GDTs.

Furthermore, a glance at some teams’ pages reveals mostly a list of GDTs from recent days even weeks and not much else discussion.

We have a good little community around here and some individuals who work so hard to provide something that we can enjoy and also be proud of.

hrdpuk

Fossa
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
Kentucky
They are starting to find a groove now over the last couple of weeks. 6 wins in 8, injured players coming back, younger guys starting to put their hands up. Hopefully another 2 points tonight.

Also these GDT's are fantastic, I've never seen such detailed info like that on any other sports forum. Thanks Fenway and the others who put the effort into producing them.

What he said .

Reactions: northeastern

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I`ll be working during this one, not a fan of the Canes doing the Whaler tribute today. Bloody team has been there since 97 and are just now doing this? BS

Hope the B`s wipe them out hard and I think they will

5-2
Bergy again with all goals, primary and secondary assists

Boston Bandit

Aug 2, 2005
It’s so easy to take for granted the high quality of our Game Day Threads because it’s what we’ve come to get used to.

I’ve been doing a lot of lurking on other teams’ pages and many of them have what we’d consider to be bare bones GDTs.

Furthermore, a glance at some teams’ pages reveals mostly a list of GDTs from recent days even weeks and not much else discussion.

We have a good little community around here and some individuals who work so hard to provide something that we can enjoy and also be proud of.

So true! These GDT's are the elite talent of these HFBoards. They are in a league of their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad