BRUINS GDT GAME 37 5:07 PM - @ WHALERS The Whale Is Back!!! - NESN, SN1, WBOS-FM 92.9

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I remember as a kid listening too many of whaler games when the Bruins weren't on. Chuck Kaiton was a great play by play guy and Ronnie Francis was their Patrice Bergeron. As Classy as they come and a highly skilled all around Great player.

Last edited:

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
Photos: Remembering the Hartford Whalers - Hartford Courant

It was one of the saddest sporting events I have ever covered.

Karmanos did not trust the Governor of Connecticut and for good reason, as he would ultimately wind up in jail. His plan was to move the Whalers to Auburn Hills, Michigan but the NHL said no way but you can go anywhere else that doesn't have a team and he picked Raleigh.

Moving to North Carolina cost Karmanos millions in the end as had he stayed in Connecticut his cable TV revenue would have exploded. The Whalers were allowed to televise in Boston as NESN did not want to be blocked in Connecticut.

SI's hockey writer explained the mess in 1997 and some of you will be surprised who the author is.

NATURAL DISASTER THE HURRICANES HAVE STORMED INTO NORTH CAROLINA, BUT THEY HAVEN'T BLOWN ANYONE AWAY

Those Whalers jersey were really beautiful imo, home and away jersey.

Reactions: Strafer and BMC

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
I agree. Hartford games would be great on the schedule
Can’t agree. Hartford hockey fans are still bitter that the team was uprooted from their city. An appearance in that city arena would only bring back derision.

There are no connections any more between Raleigh and Hartford on any hockey level. Hartford is now a Ranger outlet.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Bruins look ready to go on a long streak. With DeBrusk , Chara and Miller set to return shortly, things are looking good.

Let's put this one away and enjoy the Christmas holiday.

Reactions: Zillah

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I remember watching Whalers games on Sportschannel when the B’s were off.

I played as they aor in NHLPA 93 on Genesis because I liked the uniforms, but the team sucked.

Mixed feelings about the Canes wearing the Whalers unis.

They’re not the Whalers.

Didn’t realize that when they and the Nordiques relocated, they released the retired numbers into circulation. Edwards said yesterday he’ll go on a rant if Dougie Hamilton comes out wearing #19.
I can’t wait for the rant

Reactions: rfournier103

Zillah

Bleed Black and Gold
Apr 4, 2011
West Kelowna B.C.
upload_2018-12-23_10-31-27.jpeg

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I went grocery shopping, and I'm baking and wrapping presents. I am tired and am looking forward to crashing at 5 to watch the B's win.

My daughter is Christmas shopping. I let her take my car....I hope she remembers how to drive stick. :sarcasm:

Another win with no injuries would be sweet.

HERE WE GO BRUINS...HERE WE GO :clap::clap:

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I’m fine hearing Brass Bonanza during the pregame. But once the puck drops, the only brass I want to hear from Carolina is this, courtesy of Ovi’s binge-watchingm

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Photos: Remembering the Hartford Whalers - Hartford Courant

It was one of the saddest sporting events I have ever covered.

Karmanos did not trust the Governor of Connecticut and for good reason, as he would ultimately wind up in jail. His plan was to move the Whalers to Auburn Hills, Michigan but the NHL said no way but you can go anywhere else that doesn't have a team and he picked Raleigh.

Moving to North Carolina cost Karmanos millions in the end as had he stayed in Connecticut his cable TV revenue would have exploded. The Whalers were allowed to televise in Boston as NESN did not want to be blocked in Connecticut.

SI's hockey writer explained the mess in 1997 and some of you will be surprised who the author is.

NATURAL DISASTER THE HURRICANES HAVE STORMED INTO NORTH CAROLINA, BUT THEY HAVEN'T BLOWN ANYONE AWAY

The most hated man in Hartford has mixed feelings about Whalers revival
It does not sound like he has any regrets about the move. The whalers seem to be more popular today then they ever where when they where around. I remember reading when the AHL Springfield Falcons where being sold to Arizona that Bruce Landon said the the Falcons attendance was very poor when they where a whalers affiliate and Springfield MA is in Hartford's Backyard

Last edited:

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
It’s so easy to take for granted the high quality of our Game Day Threads because it’s what we’ve come to get used to.

I’ve been doing a lot of lurking on other teams’ pages and many of them have what we’d consider to be bare bones GDTs.

Furthermore, a glance at some teams’ pages reveals mostly a list of GDTs from recent days even weeks and not much else discussion.

We have a good little community around here and some individuals who work so hard to provide something that we can enjoy and also be proud of.
This is literally the only way I can discuss the Bruins with anybody. I have a few friends who "like hockey" but none of them follow it like I do. So I'm glad the Bruins community is very active here. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad