GDT: Game 36: Seattle Kraken(19-12-4) @ Edmonton Oilers - 6:00 p.m. PT / 9:00 p.m. ET

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
We're at 44 points with several games in hand over the flames, oilers, kings and Vegas. In some cases as many as 4 games in hand. Is there a typical points total each season we should be aiming for magic number wise to clinch a play off spot or is there too many variables that could effect it? I know there's still a lot of hockey to be played but I like where we are at right now and we've taken some lumps recently and then came back and won following games which makes me think it's sustainable.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Good comeback win in Edmonton.

Our PK is absolutely horrible but at least we could make up for it 5on5 in this one.

Next up will be Toronto on Thursday.

Jonesy is our Numero Uno right?

Probably until he gives up six in the next one because no one plays defense in front of him.

I don't get why people went hard after Grubuaer thanks to that Oilers game where absolutely no one helped him and gave up wide open chances to anyone.
So far, since coming back from injury, I think overall Grubauer has still looked better than Jones with neither of them looking like a #1 NHL goalie.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Valid point, certainly neither has looked like a #1 G, yet for whatever reason some still harbor ideas Gru may be the guy. A real #1, who can steal some games would be just dandy. I thought we were due a "good" year for Gru, given his history. Apparently I was mistaken. Regression suggests our winning by above average scoring is not sustainable. Unfortunate, given the capital we've contributed to that position. Maybe Driedger changes things soon? Still nice to watch the Oilers bite it tonight. I'm starting to dislike them more, especially Nurse, but I'd love Nurse on this team.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Classic Kraken bottom 6 player. Between .5 and 1 ppg. I really like what I’ve seen from him so far. Looks like a Contributor.
Like Tolvanen too but Sprong's minutes seem to be diminishing and I'm not keen with that

Valid point, certainly neither has looked like a #1 G, yet for whatever reason some still harbor ideas Gru may be the guy. A real #1, who can steal some games would be just dandy. I thought we were due a "good" year for Gru, given his history. Apparently I was mistaken. Regression suggests our winning by above average scoring is not sustainable. Unfortunate, given the capital we've contributed to that position. Maybe Driedger changes things soon? Still nice to watch the Oilers bite it tonight. I'm starting to dislike them more, especially Nurse, but I'd love Nurse on this team.
Nurse on the Kraken maybe at 4 M not 9 Million that's for sure

Reactions: CascadiaPenguin

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Good comeback win in Edmonton.

Our PK is absolutely horrible but at least we could make up for it 5on5 in this one.

Next up will be Toronto on Thursday.

Probably until he gives up six in the next one because no one plays defense in front of him.

I don't get why people went hard after Grubuaer thanks to that Oilers game where absolutely no one helped him and gave up wide open chances to anyone.
So far, since coming back from injury, I think overall Grubauer has still looked better than Jones with neither of them looking like a #1 NHL goalie.
Sorry but don't agree with you on the Gru vs Jones front. Jonesy is by far the better goaltender and keeps his composure when everything is flying around in front of him. Gru seems to back into his net way too much and gets smaller though he has shown better this year than last

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
We're at 44 points with several games in hand over the flames, oilers, kings and Vegas. In some cases as many as 4 games in hand. Is there a typical points total each season we should be aiming for magic number wise to clinch a play off spot or is there too many variables that could effect it? I know there's still a lot of hockey to be played but I like where we are at right now and we've taken some lumps recently and then came back and won following games which makes me think it's sustainable.
Off the top of my head if things continue the way they are I'd guess 95-98 points get Seattle a Play-off berth. This 7 game road trip will help or hinder I'd say

Reactions: Scomerica

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Sorry but don't agree with you on the Gru vs Jones front. Jonesy is by far the better goaltender and keeps his composure when everything is flying around in front of him. Gru seems to back into his net way too much and gets smaller though he has shown better this year than last

Fair point.

Though, Grubauer was actually solid in most games since coming back(in the ones he gave up a few he didn't get any help and actually kept the team in it for stretches) but nothing special either.

Jones might seem to have more "composure" but he's not stealing you anything and currently trying to stay around .890 before he gets hung out to dry as well.

Like I've said, we don't have a #1 NHL goalie(or anything close to it) and let's be honest, the problem with that is Grubauer's contract.
If it weren't for that he'd have a similar deal to Jones than no one would say much about it.

So unless Grubauer magically turns it around this will be a big strike on Francis Kraken GM CV.

Reactions: CascadiaPenguin

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
That was a true Kraken game. Early lapses but no quit, dug down, charged back and then hung on but still never quit. Regardless of the final season outcome I think it's clear that the culture is firmly in place and that was step one to long term success.

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad