Post-Game Talk: GAME 36 - 2022 Adieu- Sabres 4 BRUINS 3 F/OT

bruinsfan1970

Global Moderator
I did not see the game live because of work but I saw the highlights and that third Buffalo goal was a very soft goal to give up. Swayman's game seems off, maybe it was the injury earlier in the year not sure, but he does not seem to be playing the same. Was glad we got the point as it rounds it off to an even number 60.

Reactions: Gordoff

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
1672574779521.png

1672574956519.png

• Love

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
The concern to me isn’t so much the loss in isolation but the slow creep of bad habits forming. That’s what I’d be focused on if I were Monty. Due for a lull at some point but be aware of it and crank up the focus.

Well as Dennis Willams ( coach of Canada's junior team) would say you win or you learn. Not so sure it is a case of learning or a reminder you have to play 60 minutes to win in this league. It is hard to bring the intensity required each shift necessary to win ,but each time you let a game get away it is a reminder that you must

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Eh, I call it as I see it. Only about 50% of the NHL games I watch involve the Bruins so I see plenty of other star players. My analysis, for better or worse, is what it is.

Most of what we're talking about here is not quantifiable statistically, but Pasta does turnover the puck a lot. Amongst forwards, he ranks 5th in the league for average number of giveaways per game since the start of the 2020-21 season. You're right, star players have a higher risk-reward threshold for their play, and that inevitably results in lots of giveaways - the players above Pasta in giveaways are Jack Hughes, Draisaitl, Malkin and Marner, and Matthew Tkachuk, Kucherov and McDavid aren't far behind. And all the best players still make their share of mistakes, even really silly ones. Pasta is not exceptional in either case.

But still, I see Pastrnak as unique in just how bad be can look out there sometimes. Part of it is largely appearance - he's not a strong skater by NHL standards, and he can sometimes tend to look sketchy, unbalanced and too easy to beat or knock off pucks as a result. But much of the time when he looks disjointed and lackadaisical it doesn't mean that he actually is, or that he's not being effective. It's kind of just his style. However beyond that there are genuinely are plays he makes that can only be described as brain-dead. Really baffling stuff that would embarrass a first-year rookie, and some things that simply look - and the key word again is look - lazy. I don't think he's actually lazy, it's just not in his nature. I think it's more a product of his hands working faster than his mind such that you get situations where better/smarter options are available but he hasn't had time to process them and pure instinct doesn't always fill the void.

He's a terrific player. He's going to get $10+ mil p.a. and he'll be worth it. I don't think his bad play is in reality any more damaging than anyone else - his mistakes don't hurt his team any more than any other top-tier forward. But my view of him remains that I'm not aware of another player who quite has the ability he does to look so good and so ordinary, sometimes in the space of the same shift. There's something about him, something almost mercurial I guess you'd call it, that's unmistakable for any other player. It's not really a criticism, more an observation or perception, and while some of his individual plays can frustrate me, I take the whole package for what it is and it's great. There are things he can work on and hopefully continue to improve, for sure, but if any of the fundamentals changed he would not be the unique athlete and person that he is.
This is So good

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Because it’s a business measured and judged in wins and losses, there were many long faces at the Garden Saturday afternoon when the home team filed off the ice, shoulders slightly slumped, after a 4-3 overtime loss to the Sabres.
Alex Tuch, once among the resident shooters at Boston College, ended it with a quick shot by Jeremy Swayman from the low slot, finishing a play in which the puck twice ticked off Patrice Bergeron near his own net — first on a pass from left wing, then on the shot from the middle.
The chances of that happening to Bergeron, of course, are about the same as getting hit twice by lightning in the Public Garden on New Year’s Eve. But, you know … hockey.

In a season when they rarely lose, the Bruins, and their fans, find it nearly impossible to believe when another two points don’t get pinned up in the W column. Even with the OT loss, the Black and Gold are 28-4-4 and sitting atop the Original 32 standings with 60 points.

What made Saturday different than most of the first three months of 2022-23 was the delightful amount of loose ice made available throughout the afternoon. Neither team could impose its defensive will, which often made for entertaining, back-and-forth, firewagon, go-kart hockey.

“Not a game we want to be a part of,” said Brad Marchand, who did a great Wayne Cashman imitation with his play out of the corner, setting up Bergeron’s power-play goal that squared it, 2-2, early in the third period. “You know, that’s not typically the games we want to play … we didn’t do a a good enough job overall, limiting their abilities.”

Marchand provided the go-ahead strike a little more than seven minutes after Bergeron’s equalizer. It came with the Sabres all flummoxed amid a line change. Just the kind of big ol’ boo boo that drives coaches crazy. But for those in the stands, it makes for … wait for it … boffo entertainment.

Are we not here to be entertained? Hello? More errors, please.

“They’re a team that’s got a real good transition,” said Bergeron, asked how this game was the midseason anomaly. “I think sometimes that does open it up a little bit when you fall into that run-and-gun type of hockey. There’s a lot of skill on both sides and both teams like to play fast — sometimes there are breakdowns and you are going to have odd-man rushes. That’s what we saw.”

“The type of game that was open on many occasions,” he said in summing up the day.

So, Bergeron was asked, not fun to play?

“Yeah, not my favorite,” he said.

“It can be exciting for fans, a lot of back-and-forth action,” mused Marchand, whose game showed some added jump. “But if games are like that, it means we aren’t on top of our game.”

Successful teams want to stick to the script. The Bruins constantly talk “details.” That’s code for tight play in the back end, smart outs with the puck, intelligent play across the offensive blue line.

Script. Script. Always the script.

“You know, more boring defensive hockey,” added Marchand. “You know, we control pucks down low, make plays at the other end. But we forced it a little bit too much.”

No telling what that means for Monday afternoon, in part because outdoor games come with an X factor — a sheet of ice, even when at its best, that just isn’t up to the standards of smooth, groomed, and cured indoor ice. Passes are harder to execute. Pace of play often has to slow down because the puck can’t keep up the speed.

“The games are always a little different, just because the ice is always really bad,” said Marchand. “Everyone will work hard. There’ll be some bouncing pucks and we’ll battle through it. I wouldn’t expect it to be this loose, because of the team [the Penguins] we’ll be playing. It’ll be bouncing around a lot, and we’ll be chasing it. But that’s part of it.”

It’s outdoor hockey, which means something wicked this way is surely to come.

Let’s hope it’s as wicked good as it was inside Saturday afternoon at the Garden … W’s and L’s be damned.

Reactions: hrdpuk and sooshii

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Eh, I call it as I see it. Only about 50% of the NHL games I watch involve the Bruins so I see plenty of other star players. My analysis, for better or worse, is what it is.

Most of what we're talking about here is not quantifiable statistically, but Pasta does turnover the puck a lot. Amongst forwards, he ranks 5th in the league for average number of giveaways per game since the start of the 2020-21 season. You're right, star players have a higher risk-reward threshold for their play, and that inevitably results in lots of giveaways - the players above Pasta in giveaways are Jack Hughes, Draisaitl, Malkin and Marner, and Matthew Tkachuk, Kucherov and McDavid aren't far behind. And all the best players still make their share of mistakes, even really silly ones. Pasta is not exceptional in either case.

But still, I see Pastrnak as unique in just how bad be can look out there sometimes. Part of it is largely appearance - he's not a strong skater by NHL standards, and he can sometimes tend to look sketchy, unbalanced and too easy to beat or knock off pucks as a result. But much of the time when he looks disjointed and lackadaisical it doesn't mean that he actually is, or that he's not being effective. It's kind of just his style. However beyond that there are genuinely are plays he makes that can only be described as brain-dead. Really baffling stuff that would embarrass a first-year rookie, and some things that simply look - and the key word again is look - lazy. I don't think he's actually lazy, it's just not in his nature. I think it's more a product of his hands working faster than his mind such that you get situations where better/smarter options are available but he hasn't had time to process them and pure instinct doesn't always fill the void.

He's a terrific player. He's going to get $10+ mil p.a. and he'll be worth it. I don't think his bad play is in reality any more damaging than anyone else - his mistakes don't hurt his team any more than any other top-tier forward. But my view of him remains that I'm not aware of another player who quite has the ability he does to look so good and so ordinary, sometimes in the space of the same shift. There's something about him, something almost mercurial I guess you'd call it, that's unmistakable for any other player. It's not really a criticism, more an observation or perception, and while some of his individual plays can frustrate me, I take the whole package for what it is and it's great. There are things he can work on and hopefully continue to improve, for sure, but if any of the fundamentals changed he would not be the unique athlete and person that he is.
It's kinda the hobgoblin of young offensive players who found early success. Taylor Hall used to turn the puck over all the time. Him and especially Eberle, would try to do these superman moves that would get them on the highlights... but usually just had them coughing up the puck. It happens a lot with players. There's a few right now jumping out.

Why it doesn't bother me as much with Pasta as much is because over the past two seasons I was worried he was turning into a one-trick pony with his one-timer and wasn't being as creative. Also helps that he has the body of work behind him and with how good this team is they can handle some high risk plays.
Being a veteran team though, there's only so much hot-dogging they'll accept.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
"No telling what that means for Monday afternoon, in part because outdoor games come with an X factor — a sheet of ice, even when at its best, that just isn’t up to the standards of smooth, groomed, and cured indoor ice. Passes are harder to execute. Pace of play often has to slow down because the puck can’t keep up the speed."

I'm afraid that the ice WILL be worse than the Garden
ice because I'm concerned for the players.
One toe pick, catch a rut, etc and someone can end up
with a knee (etc) injury.
IMO it's way too warm for outdoor ice hockey but they will play!

It's kinda the hobgoblin of young offensive players who found early success. Taylor Hall used to turn the puck over all the time. Him and especially Eberle, would try to do these superman moves that would get them on the highlights... but usually just had them coughing up the puck. It happens a lot with players. There's a few right now jumping out.

Why it doesn't bother me as much with Pasta as much is because over the past two seasons I was worried he was turning into a one-trick pony with his one-timer and wasn't being as creative. Also helps that he has the body of work behind him and with how good this team is they can handle some high risk plays.
Besides the "one-timer" and his goal-scoring prowess, is the fact that he's put on weight/muscle and has learned how to use it.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Pasta has 57 giveaways in 36 games. That's the official total, meaning he probably gives the puck up a lot more than that. Consider Hall had 100 official giveaways in his worst season, Pasta is on pace to shatter that number.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Just finished watching this one .
Wow, however did they find a way to lose that game, incredible?
Bruins were easily the better team , couldn't catch a break. Plenty of great opportunities that didn't pan out.
There are gonna be games like that but nothing to worry about, they looked good.
Swayman would probably like another look at a couple of those goals, especially the 3rd one.
Pasta probably would like another look a few of those scoring chances too, especially in OT.
Lucky bounce for the win.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
Why? Look at how far away other goalies are. I’ve seen players with points like this. Not many goalies have ever been 20-1-1 and leading in game and s%

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
Personally, I think you’re nuts. If Pastrnak walks and signs elsewhere for $9M/yr, I will absolutely lose it.

But I respect your willingness to own your opinion on the matter. :thumbu:
I agree, they paid McAvoy 9.25 a year and at this point and it’s only my opinion he is not worth that money.

He is one of the better players a lot of games. Debrusk and Zacha have been to of my favorites all season. there play away fro the puck has been very good. Both show effort and are willing to play a 200' foot game
Zacha very underrated PK guy

Reactions: JOKER 192

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
It seemed Charlie Mac had a bad game. All offense seemed to die on his stick
Put him out there 3 on 3 but not 5 on 3 is mind boggling.David Krejci killed that powerplay putting everyone to sleep.Do not like the 5 forwards and especially him at point slowing it to snails pace.5 on 3 you get pucks at net and out number them. You want pretty plays,I suggest faster puck movement.Montgomery played a big part in that loss.

Reactions: BBruins

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad