Pre-Game Talk: GAME 36 1/18 7:08 PM Whalercanes - The B's honor Willie O'Ree - NESN, ESPN+, SN, TVAS, 98.5 WBZ-FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
cut.jpg

upload_2022-1-17_15-7-3.png

upload_2022-1-17_15-7-55.png

upload_2022-1-17_15-8-51.png

When Boston hosts the Carolina Hurricanes on Tuesday night, the Bruins will retire the No. 22 of Hall of Fame wing Willie O'Ree -- 64 years to the day since he broke the NHL's color barrier.

O'Ree suited up for the Bruins in 1957-58 as a 22-year-old wing out of New Brunswick. O'Ree, who is now 86, totaled four goals and 10 assists in 45 career games with Boston -- first on Jan. 18, 1958, and then the following night, and then in 43 games during the 1960-61 season.

The Bruins originally had planned to retire his number last season, but with the pandemic limiting attendance, the date was pushed back to commemorate the date of his entry to the NHL. O'Ree was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in the "builder" category in 2018.

The streaking Bruins will look to continue their winning ways as they host the Hurricanes, who are looking to start a winning streak of their own.

Boston is playing its best hockey of the season after Taylor Hall's goal 1:41 into overtime Saturday gave the Bruins a 4-3 victory over Western Conference powerhouse Nashville.

Hall's tally gave the Bruins a season-best fifth consecutive victory and their eighth triumph in nine games since emerging from the league's coronavirus pause.

"Right now, when you're winning, it's always more enjoyable for everybody," said Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy. "That's what we take pride in is representing the Bruins' crest and playing good hockey."

Brad Marchand scored his team-leading 20th goal and had an assist, Craig Smith and Mike Reilly also scored and Linus Ullmark stopped 26 of 29 shots in the Boston victory.

It was a different environment on the ice for the Bruins, who were outhit 46-45 in a physical battle with the Predators.

"A lot of guys on our team are starting to feel comfortable, myself included, playing that type of game," Hall said.

The Hurricanes won for the sixth time in eight games Saturday when Vincent Trocheck had a goal and an assist in a 4-1 home win over the Vancouver Canucks.

The win broke up a two-game losing streak -- which included a 6-0 rout by the Columbus Blue Jackets on Thursday.

"You don't want to have another (game like that)," Carolina coach Rod Brind'Amour said of the loss to Columbus. "There weren't any lulls in how we played (on Saturday) and that's what we needed. That's how we need to play."

Martin Necas recorded his 100th NHL point by recording a goal and an assist against Vancouver. Sebastian Aho and Steven Lorentz also scored and goalie Frederik Andersen recorded 30 saves in the win.

"It was a great start by our guys," said Andrei Svechnikov, who logged two assists. "We just played a physical game. We moved the puck really well up and down the ice. We tried to beat them on the rush and that's why I think we were successful today."

The Hurricanes will be without Necas against the Bruins after the team placed him in the NHL's COVID-19 protocol on Monday. The center is Carolina's fifth-leading scorer with 21 points (eight goals, 13 assists) on the season.

Show Less

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
I am looking forward to continuing good play from the Boston Bruins tomorrow.

As a Taylor Hall fan, it is good to see him be so productive after getting rid of Coyle as the center and the flip of Smith and Pasta. I am also glad that Smith is doing well with Marchand and Bergeron. Moving Coyle out of the top six seems to be the fix. He plays better with the 3rd line, where he appears to be at home.

Go Bruins

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Another tough contest coming up for the Bruins. They managed to prevail over the Preds, but the Canes are probably another step up again. Should be a good and different challenge. Awful lot of talent and speed on this Carolina team, and of course a very familiar goalie in Freddie Andersen. I suspect whichever team does better at shutting down the top forwards of their opponent will get the points. Boston has the advantage of last change and Cassidy needs to put that to good use here to get some favourable matchups.

The Bruins have shown some great progress since the break, hopefully they can keep it rolling here. A win over the Canes would feel quite significant.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
View attachment 499206

Feels like an eternity since we lost at Carolina earlier in the season but we are a different team now. Thanks to the genius who thought of putting Pasta and Hall together!
that picture still get me, too funny

O`Ree should have been honored long ago but nothing I can do about it

Let`s hope the Spoked B train keeps chugging tonight, another week of tough opponents

Reactions: Ladyfan

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
I wonder if they will show any of the ceremony on tv? I hope so. Thank goodness for unlimited plans that allow for ability to watch first periods at work/while driving home on your phone lol

Lets Go Bs. Just win!

Reactions: BMC

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Another tough contest coming up for the Bruins. They managed to prevail over the Preds, but the Canes are probably another step up again. Should be a good and different challenge. Awful lot of talent and speed on this Carolina team, and of course a very familiar goalie in Freddie Andersen. I suspect whichever team does better at shutting down the top forwards of their opponent will get the points. Boston has the advantage of last change and Cassidy needs to put that to good use here to get some favourable matchups.

The Bruins have shown some great progress since the break, hopefully they can keep it rolling here. A win over the Canes would feel quite significant.
key for me is the B`s not allowing the Canes easy lanes through the neutral zone allowing them to use that speed to attack in the O zone. I watched pieces of a game vs the Flames a little over a week or so ago and the Flames were horrific through the neutral zone and by the time the Canes reached the Flames blueline, they were flying and in full control. The team shoots more than I do on XBox

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
This is a measuring stick game for the Bruins. I'd even say this next 5 game stretch will really show you what you have with this team.

Carolina - 2nd best P% in the NHL
Washington - I know we've had success recently, but it still Washington (tons of firepower)
Winnipeg - Bit of a down year, but still battling for a WC spot
Anaheim - 3rd in the Pacific, but has cooled off a bit in recent weeks
Colorado - One of the top 3 teams in the league, loaded with talent

upload_2022-1-18_9-21-33.png

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Any of you Bruins fans have an idea how long the O'Ree ceremony will be and what time puck drop will be? Going to the game and kinda pressed for time so would like to know what to expect if anyone here has some insight.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Any of you Bruins fans have an idea how long the O'Ree ceremony will be and what time puck drop will be? Going to the game and kinda pressed for time so would like to know what to expect if anyone here has some insight.

Starts at 7pm, but I don't know how long it'll be. I'd think at least 15-20 minutes.

Reactions: AhosDatsyukian

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Big test against a top opponent.

Don’t have the recent stat line between both teams but seems like Bruins have not have good success against Canes.

Go Rask! Keep the train rolling!

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
If they pull this one off I’ll start believing they can do damage in the playoffs. That’d be a string of great teams they’ve beaten in a row (w some shitty teams mixed in)

Reactions: Gordoff
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad