GDT: Game 35: Red Wings at wild 8:00 pm et 12/27/23 (ESPN+, BSD)

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
I think the team philosophy has changed from defense to offense. Sure we are scoring more but giving up bushels. We have become goal hungry. Forwards and dmen are at fault equally.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
I will say this about this wild game:

Berggren showed up with defense. He dogged the opposition on back checks. He made a couple nice saucer passes that we know he can do consistently, and he showed up. Great for him. If he is able to do that two games in a row, I think it would be time to trade someone to make him stay on the team permanently or just trade the guy and be done with it. I think that is literally the only option because he would have to go on waivers if he plays one more game (right?) and someone would definitely pick him up.

Good on him for bringing that defense. That is literally the only thing lalonde and yzerman wanted him to do. This is great news.

Reactions: RedHawkDown

Chris Langlois

Jan 31, 2022
I sure hope Ed's not sent back down. He was shaky his first game but looked good last night. I'd definitely prefer him over Holl but unfortunately Holl's a righty.
I'm done watching this team until they actually give their youth a chance. They have been sucking for a month now with the same glaring problems. Might as well let Ed develop at the nhl level. He has been gaining confidence and is getting used to things here and then sent back down to waste his time and learn nothing. I am so sick of this team stuck I'm the past with useless veterans while the rest of the league plays their youth.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'm done watching this team until they actually give their youth a chance. They have been sucking for a month now with the same glaring problems. Might as well let Ed develop at the nhl level. He has been gaining confidence and is getting used to things here and then sent back down to waste his time and learn nothing. I am so sick of this team stuck I'm the past with useless veterans while the rest of the league plays their youth.
Raymond off the top power play and getting like 14-16 minutes the last few, Seider rarely gets over 23 minutes a night, and now Edvinsson is getting sent down.

If you’re gonna be a mid team be a mid team that plays your young players a ton and let them sink or swim.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Great. Now we get to see Maatta shit the bed and lose anyway!

Agreed. Back to draft watching for me. I’ll make my yearly list of players that they won’t take in favor of 2way high character guys and then watch as other teams pick up the skill players that end up stars. Like clockwork.

Reactions: Realgud
Oct 18, 2006
Just finished watching this.

Seider SG. Absolutely brutal showing by him, and I’m actually starting to lose confidence in him. Makes a lot of stupid braindead moves.

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
I finally watched the Wild highlights from last night. What a comedy we are defensively. And that’s our forwards and defensemen. We didn’t have a guy within twenty feet of their guy in front of the net on the last one. One of our guys was losing on the ice feeling sorry for himself. I think it was the third goal where they had two guys in front of the net playing with the puck and we had no one there. This is slapstick comedy

I finally watched the Wild highlights from last night. What a comedy we are defensively. And that’s our forwards and defensemen. We didn’t have a guy within twenty feet of their guy in front of the net on the last one. One of our guys was losing on the ice feeling sorry for himself. I think it was the third goal where they had two guys in front of the net playing with the puck and we had no one there. This is slapstick comedy

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
You used +/- to state that Ghost and Chiarot have been scored on just as much.

I'm guessing you know how the stat works. Plus-minus doesn't account for whether a player had anything to do with a play or not yet you're using it to try and equate Chiarot and Ghost's play during the game with Walman and Seider's.

I've also said nothing about the veterans being some "bastion" of defensive play.

As I've said several times now, those veteran defenseman may not be the greatest but they haven't been the leading reason for this tailspin. This whole team is a dumpster fire defensively, including the forwards. Tons of blown coverage. They are not trusting their teammates. They are trying to play goalie in front of their goalie. They're puck watching. In the case of Seider he's making uncharacteristically bad plays by forcing things. Continuing to pinch when he should retreat. Trying a long bomb pass from beside his own net that is easily picked off.

What I'm saying is this isn't a "Chiarot and Petry suck" problem. This is a team problem.

I dunno, that -4 each for the Ray/Compher/Fabbri line tells me that line needs to be separated, and it was in practice today with Perron taking Fabbri's place. Fabbri was as bad as the stats imply.

Seider pinched in and got beat by MarJo because he decided to use the stick instead of crushing him into a pancake, Chiarot screened his own goalie, these guys like to check their own teammates instead of the opponent, the stats indicate Seider and Chiarot both sucked as well as the goalie. I think the stats reflect what happened, at least in this game.

Here's the recap:

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I dunno, that -4 each for the Ray/Compher/Fabbri line tells me that line needs to be separated, and it was in practice today with Perron taking Fabbri's place. Fabbri was as bad as the stats imply.

Seider pinched in and got beat by MarJo because he decided to use the stick instead of crushing him into a pancake, Chiarot screened his own goalie, these guys like to check their own teammates instead of the opponent, the stats indicate Seider and Chiarot both sucked as well as the goalie. I think the stats reflect what happened, at least in this game.

Here's the recap:

If you want to believe that a -2 stat for Seider, Walman, Chiarot and Ghost means they all played equivalently, then you do you. Because that was the argument being made.

And the larger point I was making is the Wings aren't in a tailspin right now simply because of their veteran Dmen. It's not down to a few players. It's the cohesiveness and responsibility of most of the team.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
If you want to believe that a -2 stat for Seider, Walman, Chiarot and Ghost means they all played equivalently, then you do you. Because that was the argument being made.

And the larger point I was making is the Wings aren't in a tailspin right now simply because of their veteran Dmen. It's not down to a few players. It's the cohesiveness and responsibility of most of the team.
You watch those plays and Seider actually sucked worse than Chiarot.

I watched less than half the game, but at no point did Seider look significantly better than Chiarot, and on the scoring plays, he looked worse.

Watch the replays. Like I said, the stats reflect the play. I understand that's not aways the case, but it is in this game.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin

If Yzerman wants any chance of making the playoffs this season - a new coaching staff is needed right away.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Disagree. He has looked pretty good all season, even though it doesn't show in his stats.
Has not looked all that great the last 2 or 3 weeks, he doesn't have enough hockey IQ to play with Kane or DBC. He's also still just a split second too slow with his puck decisions.

He's been demoted to 4th line again, but I don't mind because Burger and Sprong are on his wings. Not to mention Czarnik is weak sauce, lost a net front battle that resulted in a goal against.

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
Has not looked all that great the last 2 or 3 weeks, he doesn't have enough hockey IQ to play with Kane or DBC. He's also still just a split second too slow with his puck decisions.

He's been demoted to 4th line again, but I don't mind because Burger and Sprong are on his wings. Not to mention Czarnik is weak sauce, lost a net front battle that resulted in a goal against.
Him being demoted is news to me. I know he is skating on that line in practice now, but he is not going to play tonight.

Reactions: Filppula

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017

Sorry for the double post. My phone was acting up last night and somehow it doubled up my message

Reactions: Zetterberg4Captain

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
Larionov, very good with kids
And David berkowitz was very good with the dog!!😅 But, seriously, love Igor, but I think that ship has sailed. And I am also not sure how good he was with the young. His brief time with the national junior team was sadly short. Perhaps political, but also unsuccessful. So....🤷‍♂️

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00