GDT: Game 35: Penguins @ Coyotes - 6PM - FSAZ+

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Sounds like a number of people missed the game. Here are a few highlights, Coyotes style. The arena was about 60% full, over half of them Penguins fans who love their city so much that they moved out of it. The Pens enjoyed four consecutive power plays in the first half of the game. With a first unit that has Letang, Crosby, Malkin, and Kessel, you'd think they would toy with the Coyotes, but the PK unit was excellent, killing them all. The Pens didn't realize that the secret was to commit a penalty of their own. The Yotes panicked to even hold the zone on the PP, which led to an easy 2-on-1 goal against. The next Pens goal could be seen coming when it was deep in their own zone. One thing you wouldn't get from watching on TV was Malkin perfectly anticipating the transition, and streaking up the left side as the turnover happened.

With the Coyotes down 2-0, and us threatening to leave at 3-0, none other than Nick Cousins scored a beauty very late in the second while wearing one glove. Walsh had a rare good moment in the interview when he called it a video game goal. Midway through the third, Max Domi partly atoned for his three penalties by scoring an easy one from between the circles. In another typical Coyotes moment, they almost went ahead when the goal sat in the crease for two seconds, and everybody by Murray knew where it was. The rest of the third period was actually entertaining, and the Pens didn't carry play until the fire drill that was the last minute. Malkin took everyone on a tour of the zone until putting a pass on Olli Matta's stick. He put a harmless shot wide of the short side from the point, and Raanta managed to deflect it into the net. This, after another solid game. Coyotes hockey.

Three stars:

3) Concession stand behind Section 215 - the entire upper bowl has become trash, with their baked potato with pulled pork being the exception
2) Equipment manager Stan Wilson - never gets the attention he deserves
1) Patrick Lauder - always a perfect rendition of the Anthems, whether American or Canadian

cobra427

May 6, 2012
That is probably true to an extent, but rebuilding teams are not usually at the top of the salary chart. When the time comes though, I'm not sure if we can afford to pony up with this ownership.
Pony up for who besides OEL? We have no worries about anyone else at this time. This game was like many the last few years. Our goalie stood on his head and almost got us a point when we were thoroughly outplayed. A few key mistakes hurt us. Why do we have so many players way under achieving this year?

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Outplayed most if the game, but hung in to tie it up.

Positives:
- Domi's goal will hopefully lead to more
- Keller adds to his Calder case
- Raanta is a stud. Best acquisition in years.

Man. I was sure this would be horrible. Pens coming from a loss, needing points, being the Pens. I'm not allowed to use the f-word here, but the ... Pens. And it was so close. Sad to see the team lost another in the last minute, but it was that close. Fun for Cousins to get a really good goal.

Now the team has had the hottest team in the Bolts, and the defending champs in the Pens. The next opponents _will_ be easier.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Pony up for who besides OEL? We have no worries about anyone else at this time. This game was like many the last few years. Our goalie stood on his head and almost got us a point when we were thoroughly outplayed. A few key mistakes hurt us. Why do we have so many players way under achieving this year?

We have never ponied up for anyone. OEL will command BIG $'s, Raanta will want a big raise as will Wedgewood. Hammer also. Every one coming of their ELC will get a raise and we will still be paying through the nose for Stepan, and now there are rumblings that our great ownership can't make payroll after next month, even though we are last in team salary. The salary cap has been good for us, but now the cap is starting to grow with the better economy. Why we are underachieving is the 64 thousand $ question.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Man. I was sure this would be horrible. Pens coming from a loss, needing points, being the Pens. I'm not allowed to use the f-word here, but the ... Pens. And it was so close. Sad to see the team lost another in the last minute, but it was that close. Fun for Cousins to get a really good goal.

Now the team has had the hottest team in the Bolts, and the defending champs in the Pens. The next opponents _will_ be easier.

It was close because of one player, and that is Raanta. Same as the Tampa game.

Reactions: zz

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
We have never ponied up for anyone. OEL will command BIG $'s, Raanta will want a big raise as will Wedgewood. Hammer also. Every one coming of their ELC will get a raise and we will still be paying through the nose for Stepan, and now there are rumblings that our great ownership can't make payroll after next month, even though we are last in team salary. The salary cap has been good for us, but now the cap is starting to grow with the better economy. Why we are underachieving is the 64 thousand $ question.

Very scary to hear the owner can't take it anymore. That means moving the team, unless a miracle happens. I don't have any miracle recipie, sorry.

Regarding the team, I start to think they should try trading OEL to someone willing to give an unprotected first in 2018 for him. Someone who believes they will make the playoffs, and then fails. The habs possibly.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Now that was also a rough game to watch. The Yotes were lucky to be in it... but I knew that they would blow it with less than 20 seconds left. Just felt like that would be the Coyote way to end that game.

I was also mad that Stepan had a couple wide open looks in the slot and decided to pass it off... poorly. What kind of decision making is that?! Down in a game with a pathetic amount of shots taken, need to get a goal so let's try to do an impossible pass when already in THE prime shooting area.

Good news it that Raanta had another good game. He and Wedgewood have been solid choices by the team, so far. Now, he just needs to stay healthy and the Yotes have something going on that front. And I guess the Yotes haven't done horribly defensively last several games, either. Just absolutely horrendous on offense though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad