GDT: Game 35: Penguins @ Coyotes - 6PM - FSAZ+

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
My current theory: Rick Tocchet was hired to make it less painful on us when the team moves to Houston.

So far, mission accomplished.

It's possible. Anything is possible with this clusterf*** of an organization.

.. except winning.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I missed this game. Oh no. Not sure why I bought tickets to the panthers game with the potential to see the caps too. It was quite the deal, especially if the coyotes win. But the problem is I have to watch the coyotes, and if they win I have to watch them twice.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Outplayed most of the game, but hung in to tie it up.

Positives:
- Domi's goal will hopefully lead to more
- Keller adds to his Calder case
- Raanta is a stud. Best acquisition in years.

Last edited:

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Looks like I missed a good game for a Christmas Party I was photographing.

For arguments sake, does anybody feel like we are missing Doans leadership?

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014

Probably yeah. To be fair though, we were probably going to miss his leadership regardless of who we brought in.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
The Coyotes way is to operate the team on a shoe string budget. There's an implicit acknowledgment on the part of ownership, past and present, that the intent isn't to win. This is an investment akin to an undeveloped plot of land. You hold on, putting in the minimum resources possible, waiting for the value to accrue so that a profit can be made at the time of sale.

Reactions: AndrewYotes

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I watched the game real close last night and I came away with the same thought, and we are not good enough. Our kids need more time to mature, to gel and find chemistry together which I saw last year but not this. The kids overall are not consistent or more consistent compared to last year, and have not really progressed and that falls on the coach. There seems to be four or five passengers every game, but the bad part, some of those passengers are seasoned vets. Last night our so called #1 center was 39% in the dot, so our top end players are chasing the puck again. We have to stay the course here so I hope the management does not panic and trade a young kid for a so so vet. Rebuilding is hard, but we made it even harder on ourselves with all the changes. I never ever thought we would be where we are this year. I hope we can keep Raanta next year, as we have the cap space to outbid everyone.

Reactions: MIG and Bonsai Tree

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
The only reason that we hung in there last night was that Raanta was playing out of his mind. If the Vezina was more about play than about stats, Raanta would be a strong candidate this year. We tied the game but we were honestly outplayed in every facet of the game save goaltending. Cousins had 1 great play and scored. Domi took multiple penalties yet had a score. The only players who had good games IMO were Raanta and Keller.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Probably yeah. To be fair though, we were probably going to miss his leadership regardless of who we brought in.

Probably, but you take steps so it is a painless as possible, like maybe naming a captain. OEL was mentored by Doan for years as should have been named captain to make it as seamless as possible, but the brain thrust of the organization decided not to name a captain or even keep Doan in some capacity in the organization. No matter how you cut it, we have taken a big step backwards this year.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The Coyotes way is to operate the team on a shoe string budget. There's an implicit acknowledgment on the part of ownership, past and present, that the intent isn't to win. This is an investment akin to an undeveloped plot of land. You hold on, putting in the minimum resources possible, waiting for the value to accrue so that a profit can be made at the time of sale.

That is probably true to an extent, but rebuilding teams are not usually at the top of the salary chart. When the time comes though, I'm not sure if we can afford to pony up with this ownership.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad