GDT: Game 35: Leafs @ Avalanche | Monday, Dec. 21st, 7PM MT | We're Going Streaking!

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Jesus, they were tied going into the third period. What's with all this they got cocky ****, really? A team not currently in the playoffs is going to get cocky? It's like every loss everyone can just make up whatever **** they want.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
Well, toss that one in the garbage and forget about it. December has still been great for the Avs.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Looks like this was a good game to miss; such a bummer given that they went into the 3rd tied.

Still can't help but feel good about the avs heading into the holiday though given their recent run of form. Plus now I can hope for a Duchene and Soderberg line that lets MacK and Landy play with Comeau or Biffkaka.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Lost of visitors showing up on the Guest/Member counter. Hey Leafs fans!!

NateTheGreat

Mar 19, 2012
Winnipeg
Big picture: The Colorado Avalanche are 5 points out of the playoffs at Christmas break after starting the season horribly. Rantanen is going to the WJC's and he's probably gonna tear it up.

It's all about perspective people.

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015
The break would be a great time to negotiate MacK's extension

I don't hear too many people clamoring for an 8 year--$8 million/yr.deal for Mack anymore either. I think the kid has potential out the yazoo, but his hockey IQ can be legitimately called into question when you see him do the same fruitless stuff on the ice game-after-game-after-game---and seemingly never learn from it.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Lol Berra

So how'd we play? Worked throughout the game, listened on the radio but it isn't the same when you miss bits and parts of action. Were the goals on Varlamov?

bromando

Jun 4, 2013
Just watched highlights. The Leafs have scored some nice looking goals against us this year and wow their power play destroyed us. Bummed for Varly as I was hoping he'd have no off nights this month but what can you do. I'm really hoping for a rebound win after this... can't give up the momentum of that win streak.

FALAPARK17

Colorado Avalanche
Jul 10, 2015
Winnipeg
So Mackinnon hasn't scored much in awhile... and he keeps trying the same thing. I think he'd learn how to be effective again if he was given a smart player to work with(Tanguay) and someone fast but also has a good shot and plays a simple game, one that could also keep up with Mackinnon.(Skille)

Same for Iginla, his point production froze up during that run, and I think he needs to be tried with Landeskog and Duchene. Sure he's slow. But those 2 need a sniper to play with. They're good with the puck possession game but they lack a great shot.

The third I'd go with Mitchell - Soderberg - Comeau
One is skilled in that line, the other a steady presence, and the last grit and experience.

With the fourth line I'd go with a tough line in McLeod - Wagner- Martinsen.
Even though I want Grigorenko to play, I also feel he isn't effective right now. Martinsen on the other hand is tough and could protect the puck better. This line, I honestly feel could win us games if they play into their strengths.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
So Mackinnon hasn't scored much in awhile... and he keeps trying the same thing. I think he'd learn how to be effective again if he was given a smart player to work with(Tanguay) and someone fast but also has a good shot and plays a simple game, one that could also keep up with Mackinnon.(Skille)

Same for Iginla, his point production froze up during that run, and I think he needs to be tried with Landeskog and Duchene. Sure he's slow. But those 2 need a sniper to play with. They're good with the puck possession game but they lack a great shot.

One is skilled in that line, the other a steady presence, and the last grit and experience.

Even though I want Grigorenko to play, I also feel he isn't effective right now. Martinsen on the other hand is tough and could protect the puck better. This line, I honestly feel could win us games if they play into their strengths.
Grigorenko was really good tonight, just didn't bury his chances. He was like a 92% possession player.

I do wish we could find a way to get Wagner in the lineup though.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

That would be gross. Skille's an awesome 4th liner but has no business playing with MacK, and Tanguay's way to slow and ineffectual for that. And saddling Landy & Matt with Iggy would be just as painful. The old guys & Malkin kind works because they all play at a similar pace and Roy can be very careful with their minutes. Putting them with guys who're that much faster than them would only make their slow skating more obvious.

If we shake up the lines I hope they put Duchene on Soderberg's wing. Those are our two best forwards atm and roy could ease up on Landy-MacK's minutes until they recovered

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Grigorenko-MacKinnon-Duchene
Landeskog-Soderberg-Comeau
Tanguay-Mitchell-Iginla
McLeod-Wagner-Skille

It's what I've been wanting for a while now. MacKinnon needs a smart, slow-the-game down player on his line. Grigorenko is exactly that, and he excels at a give-and-go offensive game.

MacKinnon is way, WAY too predictable with the puck. I'd argue he's one of the most predictable players in the entire league with the puck. He needs to get rid of it and start using his legs, and have confidence that the player he gave the puck to will give it back to him. Grigorenko can do that.

Get Landeskog on the 2nd line with Soderberg and Comeau, give them all the tough match-ups. At this point Landy's scoring won't concern me too much if that line can effectively shut down other teams' top lines.

FALAPARK17

Colorado Avalanche
Jul 10, 2015
Winnipeg
That would be gross. Skille's an awesome 4th liner but has no business playing with MacK, and Tanguay's way to slow and ineffectual for that. And saddling Landy & Matt with Iggy would be just as painful. The old guys & Malkin kind works because they all play at a similar pace and Roy can be very careful with their minutes. Putting them with guys who're that much faster than them would only make their slow skating more obvious.

If we shake up the lines I hope they put Duchene on Soderberg's wing. Those are our two best forwards atm and roy could ease up on Landy-MacK's minutes until they recovered

The only way I see the Mackinnon line working is if Tanguay gets to coast, while Mack and Skille deal with the hands-on offensive and defensive assignments. Leaving Tangs to get himself in position early on, with the breakout, or a good spot in the ozone where he could pass or even shoot.

With Iginla it'll basically be the same thing. He pinches early on, gets himself in a good spot to shoot, or help out in getting a physical presence for those 2.

We have those 2 for this season and while they're slow, they still do have some qualities that they bring into this team. We might as well use it.

The third I imagine as our shutdown line. Considering we'll be leaving with Landy-Dutch and Mack-Skille with a lot of assignments. They'll most likely make a mistake here and there. And this third line should make things easier for them.

Last edited:

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Well I'm 0-1 at games this season :cry:

That was such an amazingly garbage third period. So bad. Have to just forget about that one and start going on another roll after christmas.

Is Jack Skille not something else? Dude is a straight up stud.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I guess only one player can be fixed at a time. Now MacKinnon has disappeared. Strange.

Anyhow, I still get very frustrated and disappointed when Roy's only response to Babcock seemingly picking apart his systems is "switch up the lines every time the opposition scores." This was not just the result of Varly having a bad game, the Leafs and their coach just really know how to exploit the Avs. They were quite good at keeping pressure on the points and getting in passing lanes, they knew in most cases the Avs' D was going to be too slow to get back in the event of a breakaway.

Anyway, not a fun game to watch. Gotta give Babcock credit--he's somehow turned Leo Komarov into a legit scorer (for now at least) and gotten the most out of guys like Gardiner and Phaneuf after previous coaches have failed. The Leafs will be a very, very good team once they get some players.

FALAPARK17

Colorado Avalanche
Jul 10, 2015
Winnipeg
Grigorenko-MacKinnon-Duchene
Landeskog-Soderberg-Comeau
Tanguay-Mitchell-Iginla
McLeod-Wagner-Skille

It's what I've been wanting for a while now. MacKinnon needs a smart, slow-the-game down player on his line. Grigorenko is exactly that, and he excels at a give-and-go offensive game.

MacKinnon is way, WAY too predictable with the puck. I'd argue he's one of the most predictable players in the entire league with the puck. He needs to get rid of it and start using his legs, and have confidence that the player he gave the puck to will give it back to him. Grigorenko can do that.

Get Landeskog on the 2nd line with Soderberg and Comeau, give them all the tough match-ups. At this point Landy's scoring won't concern me too much if that line can effectively shut down other teams' top lines.

The problem that I have with Mack and Grigs, is that Grigorenko plays a too safe of a game the kind where he doesn't wanna make a mistake. I think that would actually burden Mackinnon with his play, considering that he loves to do things, use his speed and shoot.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Forget about this game and start another streak. A loss was coming sooner or later. If this team can bounce back then that's important. Bounce back and start another streak. We have the players and the goalie to do it, so lets do it.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Anyway, not a fun game to watch. Gotta give Babcock credit--he's somehow turned Leo Komarov into a legit scorer (for now at least) and gotten the most out of guys like Gardiner and Phaneuf after previous coaches have failed. The Leafs will be a very, very good team once they get some players.

Babcock doesn't have anything to do with Komarov, he was just used in a bottom-6/4th line role under Randy Carlyle. He's always been capable of being this type of player with his skill-set, speed, hockey IQ, and tenacity.

Gardiner and Phaneuf, however, he can take plenty of credit for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad