GDT: Game 35: Blackhawks @ Coyotes - 7PM

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Anyone else in favor of getting a new goal song? This black keys one is hot garbage now.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
If it was a coyote on hossa it would have been match penalty and suspension. I could see the league explanation now. "Watch as he stops playing the puck and intentionally lowers his shoulder then drives it through hossas head. Then immediately goes to the bench to celebrate, giving all the players and coaches high fives and turns toward the crowd and flips everyone off".

Lol so true, those videos, especially under shanaban always made me chuckle.

If his tailbone was broken there's no way he could skate off and sit on the bench.

Probably true, and it was a good sign that he did.

Anyone else in favor of getting a new goal song? This black keys one is hot garbage now.

I've hated it ever since we started it. I think we truly have and have had for some time now the worst arena music and in game presentation in the entire league.

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
I'm not saying it's all linbacks fault, he was screened on those shots but still not looking good with 3 goals on 5 shots.

It doesn't matter what the stats were. Crawford sucks despite winning that game. He plays for an all-star team. Quick is a good goalie but he gets overated because of the team he plays for. One of the reasons our goaltending has been "poor" the last few years is the atrocious defence. That's the antiquated thinking our coach displayed when he pulled him. Fire Playfair before we blame Lindback.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Wouldn't matter if Lundqvist is back there. High quality chances, in large numbers, lose you games.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
It doesn't matter what the stats were. Crawford sucks despite winning that game. He plays for an all-star team. Quick is a good goalie but he gets overated because of the team he plays for. One of the reasons our goaltending has been "poor" the last few years is the atrocious defence. That's the antiquated thinking our coach displayed when he pulled him. Fire Playfair before we blame Lindback.

I think he changed goalies to try and change momentum. 3 goals on 5 shots though? I kind of agree. If you give up 3 goals in one period, your out, simple as that.

Duclair took a dumb penalty, did the same thing a game or so ago, cut his minutes. Their PP was better then ours and their goalie sucked way less then ours. I think we outplayed the hawks, pretty sure we out chanced them. We took some dumb penalties, their PP was on, and our goalie's were bad, end of story.

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona

I've hated it ever since we started it. I think we truly have and have had for some time now the worst arena music and in game presentation in the entire league.

I like "Howlin' for you" but I'm open to a new goal song if it doesn't suck. Maybe someone can make a new thread with suggestions.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
I like "Howlin' for you" but I'm open to a new goal song if it doesn't suck. Maybe someone can make a new thread with suggestions.

Absolutely not. We are literally the only team in the league that can pull it off.

Besides the song is really for the kids. We can all admit they're the reason the building has any sort of crowd noise most nights. Haha

Keep the song. The crowd chant with the fake crowd audio was way, way worse.

Roy Baby*

Sep 28, 2015
Phoenix,AZ
Lol so true, those videos, especially under shanaban always made me chuckle.

Probably true, and it was a good sign that he did.

Not sure if serious ? You're telling me it's worse than Dallas' Nickelback marathons ?

Ice Fight

Nov 4, 2015
Doan is irreplaceable as far as I'm concerned and deserves way more respect. As far as this season goes his value has way exceeded what Toews brings. Congrats on that empty netter I guess? Really overrated when he's arguably the 5th best player on his team and gets paid a ridiculous anount.

Doan definitely deserves more credit and is an absolute stud but the bit about Toews is wrong on many levels.

Roy Baby*

Sep 28, 2015
Phoenix,AZ
Doan definitely deserves more credit and is an absolute stud but the bit about Toews is wrong on many levels.

Haha no sir ! :)

Doan: .63 PPG
Toews: .61 PPG

That's with almost 5 mins less ice time, half the cap hit, weaker supporting cast, and coming off a bad injury

If you're about "the intangibles", look at what happened without Doan in the lineup - wasn't pretty at all lol clearly

I'm not saying Doan is a better player, but from a "what have you done for me lately perspective" (which is fair considering Toews has a cap of 10.5 mill) , Doan is providing better value in relation to dollars spent.

Kane, Panarin, Keith, Seabrook, and Crawford are outplaying Toews this season too.

For relative value, Kane is earning his 10 mill.

So where are these many levels ? Lol

I could make the same argument for a lot of players so be easy on Doan alright ? ;) point is Toews is underwhelming and Shane is doing more for his team with very little recognition

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Photo Finish! Ugh, our crew can be so freaking annoying. Nash should have Walsh's job, and Walsh should stick with baseball. Let Heeter and Boynton do simulcasts.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
So where are these many levels ? Lol

I could make the same argument for a lot of players so be easy on Doan alright ? ;) point is Toews is underwhelming and Shane is doing more for his team with very little recognition

Toews plays Selke level defense, in all situations. He has three cups for a reason. Doan hasn't "way exceeded" him. :facepalm:

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
Photo Finish! Ugh, our crew can be so freaking annoying. Nash should have Walsh's job, and Walsh should stick with baseball. Let Heeter and Boynton do simulcasts.

This x 1000. I love our radio guys. Our TV guys are absolutely terrible and make watching it unbearable.

Ice Arizona, save yourself some money and significantly upgrade the quality of the TV broadcast.

Also, what's with Tyson lately? So many dumb double entendres and everything is a pepperoni pizza to him.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Benching Duclair when he took a penalty battling for the puck was a big overreaction and threw the lines off.

No it wasn't. He did the same thing last game and DT still played him. I would have reduced his minutes last game and not wait till this game.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Futures looking really bright...not mad at this at all iah.

Congrats to Doaner too...tied for most franchise goals in history

not even upset about this game. The team up front played really well. Fought to the end. Our goalies sucked. I'm going to say it. We need smith. He usually finishes the second half of the season well.

You know the Hawks can't be to happy about this win.

I'm with you guys. We are seeing why Lindback has always been a back up and why the Yotes were willing to let Domingue walk.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think he changed goalies to try and change momentum. 3 goals on 5 shots though? I kind of agree. If you give up 3 goals in one period, your out, simple as that.

Duclair took a dumb penalty, did the same thing a game or so ago, cut his minutes. Their PP was better then ours and their goalie sucked way less then ours. I think we outplayed the hawks, pretty sure we out chanced them. We took some dumb penalties, their PP was on, and our goalie's were bad, end of story.

You hit the nail on the head. :)

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
First

Fire Playfair

Second

Go find suitable replacements (actual NHL dmen) for Grossman/Dahlbeck/Z

We won't go anywhere if we have to play those guys.

OEL/? (although Murphy there is growing on me)
Yandle/(Stone or Murphy)
? / ?
Dahlbeck (Dahlbeck can be the 7th defender, but he's not an NHL quality Dman)

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Not sure if serious ? You're telling me it's worse than Dallas' Nickelback marathons ?

Yes it is, nickel back is terrible but they play a variety, and they have funny and original things on their board. We play loud blaring club music almost the entire game and do the same lame things over and over on the board.

I'm in the minority I think but I like dahlbeck, I think he's at least a capable third pairing guy, maybe a second pairing guy in the future.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
First

Fire Playfair

Second

Go find suitable replacements (actual NHL dmen) for Grossman/Dahlbeck/Z

We won't go anywhere if we have to play those guys.

OEL/? (although Murphy there is growing on me)
Yandle/(Stone or Murphy)
? / ?
Dahlbeck (Dahlbeck can be the 7th defender, but he's not an NHL quality Dman)

Tip is a pretty defensive minded coach, so there must be a reason they are keeping Playfair. I don't think it is Playfairs fault, just our lack of talent. Last year brown was the PP genius, until this year he is not. Turns out Yandle was the genius.

On D we have a number 1 in OEL, thankfully. Z/Grossman get exposed because of their lack of speed but they are actually fine in other situations. Dahlback is fine as a 5/6 D, still young. We need to sign Yandle and pick up a top pairing RHD, in the process we likely lose stone or Murphy. I think most would agree that having Smith back would be better then our current goalie tandem for now but I am not sure what the solution will be in net next year.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
^^

Agree on some change with Playfair, although the players are making mistakes that other teams are capitalizing on.

Yandle was neither problem nor solution. We actually are getting some good shots and passing on the PP. Boedker is definitely shooting far more now. Our issue is that we take too much time and let the opposition clog the lanes (both shooting and passing) and that affects our abilities. Teams are going to be more active against OEL to take him out of the PP. We do expose ourselves a lot when we try to get too cute on PP.

Right now, still not 100% sure on Grossmann, but let's say we do not resign him and all RFAs will sign their tender offers:

OEL-Murphy
XXXXXX-Stone
Dahlbeck-Michalek
Samuelsson-Elliot

Stone could legitimately go, but we have to bring back either a top right pairing or a 3/4 left in the trade or in free agency. While I don't think Stone has hit his true peak, it is clear that this is about what the limitations of his body are - he is not going to get much faster, quicker, or bulkier. He doesn't look great right now, but still could net a decent return.

Short list of unrestricted free agents that could make Stone expendable:
Byfuglien
Polak
Schenn

I don't see how we could afford both Yandle and a #1 RHD without shedding some salary in the form of selling Boedker, Doan, or Hanzal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad