GDT: Game 34: Red Wings at devils 7:00 pm et 12/23/23 (ESPN+, BSD)

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
2-7-1 boys
Congrats to the team!! That high powered offense is really getting us to the promised land. Don't get me wrong it's fun to watch us score like this but only to know the inevitable is coming takes it away at the same time. It's like wreckless abandonedment. We play like a 2 bit hooker on a coke binge.

To be fair it has been a tough month injury/personal issues wise. Larkin and Compher out were huge losses to this team. Perron was also out, though I do believe he isn't even close to a big loss on ice.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Hutch's stats look good from the game, but he looks pretty iffy in goal to be honest. 4 or 5 times he did that thing were he is looking in his pad area not knowing where the puck is. Also, why do our defenders not immediately put a stick behind the five hole area here, that is defenceman 101? The other night, Reimer didn't know where it was, both Petry and Holl don't go check if the puck is loose, and just let a Jet player easily stuff it in.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
It's pretty easy to say that when they've already happened.

the Wings should win more games playing how they did tonight versus that shitshow yesterday

Hindsight 20/20, no doubt.

But the thing is, this team has a better chance of winning a high scoring game than a low scoring game. It is what it is. Reminds me of the Kraken last season, they gave up so many odd man chances, it was hilarious. Still made the playoffs though. Same with the Boudreau era Caps. Chances of advancing in the playoffs is basically the same, but I'd rather at least get there.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Hutch's stats look good from the game, but he looks pretty iffy in goal to be honest. 4 or 5 times he did that thing were he is looking in his pad area not knowing where the puck is. Also, why do our defenders not immediately put a stick behind the five hole area here, that is defenceman 101? The other night, Reimer didn't know where it was, both Petry and Holl don't go check if the puck is loose, and just let a Jet player easily stuff it in.
Pucks get in the goalies pads all the time, remember Hasek's snow angels?

Your point about the D though.... yeah. Team seems to be missing some fundamentals. Speaking of which, I though Hutch had better fundamentals than the other 3. His reflexes... not so much, hence the scrambling sometimes.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Which is fine. They were in a playoff spot in february.
Oh sure. Next you'll tell me that it's important to actually watch the games. Maybe even consider some context. Or nuance even!

No no no, the only way to measure the success of a rebuild is checking how close a team is to The Presidents Trophy and how many Art Ross candidates they have. Everything else is irrelevant - the interwebs told me so.

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
It kind of does, though. Relative to the rest of the league, they're not improving. They're competing against other teams to make the playoffs. Not just against last season's Red Wings. Every year, they're not one of the top 8 teams in the Conference. This would be no different.
Ah. A Statis Pro hockey man.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
I still think Yzerman didn't expect the forward core to be as competent as it was and absolutely crapped the bed on getting some decent defensemen.

Somehow our D is even worse than it was last year.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
I still think Yzerman didn't expect the forward core to be as competent as it was and absolutely crapped the bed on getting some decent defensemen.

Somehow our D is even worse than it was last year.
Offense has improved around the league. Thus, lots of teams are playing worse defensively. Same with goalies. The Wings are just one of the worst unfortunately.

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
We could have more call ups after Christmas. That collision between Fischer and Petry was nasty. Currently showing day to day. I expect Edvinsson could end up staying with us which would certainly be a positive.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
some of the excuses here are ridiculous

"the team is tired"
"there are injuries"

it's the NHL, everyone is tired and has injuries, it's how you deal with them. The excuses need to stop, the team is just not good enough, plain and simple.
I think the forward corps is..

It's the defense and goaltending that is weak/awful

If SY can address that the team will be in a position to play meaningful games this season while continuing to get better in the years to come

Reactions: Realgud

cvaicunas

Aug 25, 2021
I constantly wonder why more people don’t block you.

2nd of a b2b. The team seemed to lose steam after the halfway point in the second. Refs also called 3 straight ticky tack bullshit calls against Detroit. That alone would kill most team’s momentum.

I’m bummed but not super surprised by this loss. Detroit needs some time off to rest and recover and go over film.
Morbid curiosity, hockey's version of watching reality tv, something along those lines

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
I constantly wonder why more people don’t block you.

2nd of a b2b. The team seemed to lose steam after the halfway point in the second. Refs also called 3 straight ticky tack bullshit calls against Detroit. That alone would kill most team’s momentum.

I’m bummed but not super surprised by this loss. Detroit needs some time off to rest and recover and go over film.
i mean you’re still kickin it with ole shanny.

Obe2kenobe

Mar 23, 2014
U.P.
Never done this before but next game I go to if we are losing Im gonna bring a paper bag to wear on my head to display how upset I am with the state of the franchise. We have no rookies full time on the team in a REBUILD and most of yzermans free agent signings like copp suck ass, Grand Rapids is a dumpster fire and our prospects aren’t developing very much. It’s time to actually show our anger and stop saying “trust the yzerplan”. And the team can’t hold a lead ever under lalondes coaching. Better pray we win the lottery for another year in a row.

Y’all act like you never seen a losing streak before.
Jaws all on the floor, Like Cholowski and Svech just burst in the door
First rd picks thrown on the floor. Waived and more
You didn‘t say what I think you did, did ya?
Win the lottery ?
Why so you can waste a year, and drop a mere 4 spots every year
You or Gary Bettman better switch our picks

Reactions: dalem177

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
This team isn't a playoff team as long as we are keeping Lyon buried and one of Chiarot, Petry, or Holl is touching the ice for 40 minutes a game.

If Yzerman kept up Edvinsson, traded for Gibson, and traded for Hanifin we would make the playoffs, but that is a lot of assets going out. Hopefully one of Petry or Holl left Anaheim or Calgary off of their no-trade list.

Kasper and Danielsson don't look super great right now, but our forward group actually looks really good and both guys look like they are going to slot in right where we need them, as middle six centers. ASP looks like he may be the best defenseman of the 2023 draft.

It might be time to start sending assets out to get into the playoffs.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
This team isn't a playoff team as long as we are keeping Lyon buried and one of Chiarot, Petry, or Holl is touching the ice for 40 minutes a game.

If Yzerman kept up Edvinsson, traded for Gibson, and traded for Hanifin we would make the playoffs, but that is a lot of assets going out. Hopefully one of Petry or Holl left Anaheim or Calgary off of their no-trade list.

Kasper and Danielsson don't look super great right now, but our forward group actually looks really good and both guys look like they are going to slot in right where we need them, as middle six centers. ASP looks like he may be the best defenseman of the 2023 draft.

Honestly I'd go after Markstrom and Hanifin..

Husso plus Matta as cap dumps
Wallinder plus
A B prospect or a guy like Rasmussen/Beggren plus
A 2nd rd and 4th rd pick

I think that MAY be enough

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Agreed. He played pretty well but didn't exactly have things locked down. That being said, none of our goalies have.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I think the forward corps is..

It's the defense and goaltending that is weak/awful

If SY can address that the team will be in a position to play meaningful games this season while continuing to get better in the years to come

The defense is average on a good day. Strong goaltending makes any defense look like a world beater though.

Detroit played a 4th string goalie against a team that won 50 games last year and only lost by a goal.
i mean you’re still kickin it with ole shanny.

It’s like watching a train wreck. It’s hard to look away.

• Haha
Reactions: cvaicunas

cvaicunas

Aug 25, 2021
The defense is average on a good day. Strong goaltending makes any defense look like a world beater though.

Detroit played a 4th string goalie against a team that won 50 games last year and only lost by a goal.

It’s like watching a train wreck. It’s hard to look away.
I can't believe we have made it this far after another loss without someone else blaming Kane for this streak

Early reports on the WJC board have Danielson's line looking like one of the best so far.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Just trying to think outside the box. Larkin hasn't been the captain of great rosters, sure, but the teams he leads seem to suffer from mediocre and inconsistent effort.
There's effort, not enough skills and speed. Teammates still confused when Kane with the puck. We haven't have such a player since Datsyuk .

Reactions: DamonDRW

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad