GDT: Game 34: Montreal Canadiens vs Vancouver Canucks 12/17/19 10:00pm EST TSN2, RDS, TSN 690

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
Man, only 2 pages long GDT 2 hours before a game... I would've hysterically laughed at anybody who would've suggested such thing could be possible 14 years ago. We're as boring as the Wild's board.
We're not at "one-man GDT" level yet.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Did they get lucky or did they also make some smart choices too?

They went against the grain on some of those picks. They took Pettersson high and bet on his skill despite concerns about his weight. They did the same with Hughes, who I was anticipating might drop lower despite his talent.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
We really do. I have 0 faith in our amateur scouts though. We have 1 guy that's looking like he's the real deal and we didn't even draft him lol.

Scouting is the one sore thumb that did not get an overhaul when Bergevin was mandated to clean house in the Summer of 2017 -- and I mean both amateur and pro scouting depts.

At some point you have to wonder, hockey or not hockey, there is an executive-type component that is translatable from the business world to hockey management, which is this: was an audit conducted in respect of the competence of both of these departments? And if so, how do we end up with virtually the same people today that were there pre-2017?

The clean up was never complete, somehow these guys got rubber stamped or simply escaped scrutiny -- the GM was somehow able to save their hide. We joke about Larry Carrière and his son Nick still holding positions with the org. but neither of these putzes are really critical components even if they suck. The scouting depts are on a whole other level -- they are the lifeblood of an org.

We need to know that we have on board, the best available on the market, at all times. This aspect, for instance, could have been something that a PHO might have overseen, conduct performance reviews and comparative analysis with other clubs, to ensure that a competitive edge is both secured and maintained.

This not only enables the GM to work on other day to day stuff, but it also allows to challenge his subjectivity relative to any of these appointments, provided the PHO himself is competent, experienced and applies objective standards.

Last edited:

CalgarySnow

Oct 21, 2017
Cool you married a BC boy. Is he a house like Shea? Does he go on fishing trips like Carey and Shea? :)

Some time to kill before the game here... a bit depressive to watch the Leafs play. Sabres are playing well and Leafs were still controlling the play for most of the 1st... they're not so leaky anymore. Tampa will win too. Habs could be next to Detroit and Ottawa in the Atlantic by the end of the night.

We’re English but we were in Vancouver for his first NHL game. Definitely not built like Shea (unfortunately) and definitely no fishing, he’s a wuss and would freak out if he had to hold a fish lol. He was in the Navy though so he likes boats.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
While waiting, I'm watching Bolts Sens game. Tampa is real sloppy, not crisp like we're used to seeing. Serg looks good. Tied at 3 after 2.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
We’re English but we were in Vancouver for his first NHL game. Definitely not built like Shea (unfortunately) and definitely no fishing, he’s a wuss and would freak out if he had to hold a fish lol. He was in the Navy though so he likes boats.

Great stuff. For years now I've collaborated in spots with a Sumner from Leeds who's become a Canadian citizen with his wife, who relinquished a high executive post with the Leeds police to come live in Canada. Awesome people. I'm in the RCAF myself, though haven't dealt with the British Navy directly - my colleagues who work in the secure radio projects do, and I always hear good things.

Cheers.

Reactions: CalgarySnow

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
They went against the grain on some of those picks. They took Pettersson high and bet on his skill despite concerns about his weight. They did the same with Hughes, who I was anticipating might drop lower despite his talent.

Both, obviously.

That word, "obviously" is so loaded.

Our management people are called upon to make similar decisions and yet we can't even come close to this type of result. It's impossible that we can't find a way to replicate that kind of formula.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Scouting is the one sore thumb that did not get an overhaul when Bergevin was mandated to clean house in the Summer of 2017 -- and I mean both amateur and pro scouting depts.

At some point you have to wonder, hockey or not hockey, there is an executive-type component that is translatable from the business world to hockey management, which is this: was an audit conducted about in respect of the competence of both of these departments? And if so, how do we end up with virtually the same people today that were there pre-2017?

The clean up was never complete, somehow these guys got rubber stamped or simply escaped scrutiny -- the GM was somehow able to save their hide. We joke about Larry Carrière and his son Nick still holding positions with the org. but neither of these putzes are really critical components even if they suck. The scouting depts are on a whole other level -- they are the lifeblood of an org.

We need to know that we have on board, the best available on the market, at all times. This aspect, for instance, could have been something that a PHO might have overseen, conduct performance reviews and comparative analysis with other clubs, to ensure that a competitive edge is both secured and maintained.

This not only enables the GM to work on other day to day stuff, but it also allows to challenge his subjectivity relative to any of these appointments, provided the PHO himself is competent, experienced and applies objective standards.
It truly is a joke that the Habs don't have a competent amateur scouting staff. With all the money this team makes, they should have an advantage over almost every other team in the league regarding the non player staff.

I'll give credit to the pro scouts though. They're the only reason Bergevin still has a job.

CalgarySnow

Oct 21, 2017
Great stuff. For years now I've collaborated in spots with a Sumner from Leeds who's become a Canadian citizen with his wife, who relinquished a high executive post with the Leeds police to come live in Canada. Awesome people. I'm in the RCAF myself, though haven't dealt with the British Navy directly - my colleagues who work in the secure radio projects do, and I always hear good things.

Cheers.
Oh dear he’s from Leeds, he can’t help that (I’m from York, he’ll understand)

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It truly is a joke that the Habs don't have a competent amateur scouting staff. With all the money this team makes, they should have an advantage over almost every other team in the league regarding the non player staff.

I'll give credit to the pro scouts though. They're the only reason Bergevin still has a job.

The pro scouts have generally done a better job than they did in the King, Ott and Martinsen days. But, they still dropped the ball badly on Alzner. It's the same people that helped pull off the Pacioretty and Domi deals. What is this Jekyll and Hyde show?

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Oh dear he’s from Leeds, he can’t help that (I’m from York, he’ll understand)

Not your fault, but you just triggered a bit of anxiety (short of calling it fan-PTSD) just now.

I visited York in May of 2012 (Yorkminster was under such heavy renovations) after, I repeat AFTER witnessing my favourite boxer Lucian Bute get killed in Nottingham by Carl Froch. Costly trip, great pictures, surprisingly awesome beer in the pubs, but..... some sad, sad memories. I was in the 12th row on the floor in front of the ring. Let's leave it at that.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
While waiting, I'm ...

Well, yes. As you wait, why not a little bit of entertainment?

It's hilarious. Hope you like it.

Last edited:

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009

At some point you have to wonder, hockey or not hockey, there is an executive-type component that is translatable from the business world to hockey management, which is this: was an audit conducted in respect of the competence of both of these departments? And if so, how do we end up with virtually the same people today that were there pre-2017?

When it come to scouting sometimes I wonder how much the lil guys list gets passed over.

I wonder if the amateur scouting has a good list in hindsight but Habs management chose not to listen. Maybe they wanted Theodore but Bergevin wanted size and went with McCarron.

It is really hard to truly know. Not to mention that very year Habs drafted two guys at the top of 2nd round in terms of games played.

Maybe they’ve listened more to those lists now and that is why guys like Romanov and Norlinder are excelling?

This couldn’t possibly be 100 the case but I am sure there is truth to this.

HTTP 400

Sep 1, 2007
Did you just say that with a team that gives their 3rd overall pick less ice-time than Thompson/Weal/Cousins? Is Poehling playing 4th line wing or am I wrong?

That's an angle. An other one would be to say that team drafted 3rd overall a guy who can't outproduce freaking Nate Thompson despite playing as much 5 on 5 and 2 mins more per game on the PP.

KK has a bright future, but he's having a shity season. You can't blame the organization for everything.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
Not yet 3 pages and it's not surprising
I think we are all in limbo. If this West coast swing damages the teams standings enough to point us in our fate we may start talking about top prospects and which ones we like

CalgarySnow

Oct 21, 2017
Not your fault, but you just triggered a bit of anxiety (short of calling it fan-PTSD) just now.

I visited York in May of 2012 (Yorkminster was under such heavy renovations) after, I repeat AFTER witnessing my favourite boxer Lucian Bute get killed in Nottingham by Carl Froch. Costly trip, great pictures, surprisingly awesome beer in the pubs, but..... some sad, sad memories. I was in the 12th row on the floor in front of the ring. Let's leave it at that.
Jesus I thought you meant really killed :(

Mike Towers

Aug 8, 2019
That's an angle. An other one would be to say that team drafted 3rd overall a guy who can't outproduce freaking Nate Thompson despite playing as much 5 on 5 and 2 mins more per game on the PP.

KK has a bright future, but he's having a ****y season. You can't blame the organization for everything.
Julien is to blame for KK...need to give him ice time just like Florida did with an 18 year old Barkov....let him make his mistakes you are not trying to win anyways.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell

Ok no well sorry about that... I meant getting killed like when Paulie tells Apollo's trainer in Rocky IV that poor Rocky is getting killed in the 2nd round. Then Rocky gets mad, but Lucian never got mad. He walked out to U2, for Pete's sake. Carl Froch, you guessed it, walked out to a Rocky song from Rocky IV -- There's no Easy Way Out. I had chills down my back the whole time.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Not yet 3 pages and it's not surprising

Not much like GDT's on the Leafs board. They instantly get 3 or 4 pages in about 2 minutes from whining about the refs and how the refs and NHL hate them whenever a penalty gets called against their precious Leafs. True story. :)

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell

Getting killed here. Really getting killed here. A ref prevented the actual killing. It was like that for 4 rounds continuous, from round 2 onwards.

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad