GDT: Game 34 - CBJ at DRW - 17 Dec, 7:30pm

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
Well put....we got the win, that's the most important stat.

I noticed when they win, certain posters disappear....but when they lose, they're out to tear up the goalies.

Reactions: thebus88

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Tired of every GDT turning into a referendum on our goalie situation.

Well deserved win by the team. Good job boys. Go get the next one.

Well put....we got the win, that's the most important stat.

I noticed when they win, certain posters disappear....but when they lose, they're out to tear up the goalies.

Full disclosure: Korpi did have a .857 save % last night. Offense bailed him out...:popcorn::sarcasm:

Reactions: 213 Sentinel

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Torts gonna Torts but after watching the game it felt like Stenlund played more than 8:34
Torts later said Stenlund (and Dano) weren’t benched, rather they didn’t play because Wennberg got hurt and he didn’t want to mix lines (trying to use 11).

Reactions: CPTN71

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
Full disclosure: Korpi did have a .857 save % last night. Offense bailed him out...:popcorn::sarcasm:

Quality, not quantity - don't rely solely on stats otherwise I'll throw the most important stat back to you: the W. That's what counts.

1st goal: one timer into the top corner
2nd goal: bad/lucky bounce to wide open DRW player who has open net
3rd goal: tipped shot through a screen

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Maybe Elvis actually gets a home game if Korpisalo is tired at this point. A home game against the worst team in the West. Well, they were the worst until they beat Boston tonight.

I’d like to see him play either Thursday or Saturday. Thursday probably makes more sense from managing Korpi’s load (prevents 3 in 4 days) and it’s not like LA’s great, but a Taylor Hall-less NJ...

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Tough break for Peeke. Torts made it clear by scratching Harrington that Harry is now our...what...10th best Dman in the organization? You don't hand your 10th best Dman in the organization a 3-year, 1-way deal but Jarmo did. Now I'm worried about having Harrington play. Word last week on Nuti was that he had something else happen that is causing him to stay on IR longer?

If Torts doesn't trust Elvis at all (and he doesn't), why isn't the club sending him to Cleveland and either calling up Matiss to open the door or signing a cheap veteran? Al Montoya is still available lol. Keith Kinkaid went on waivers not long ago. I place most of this mess on Jarmo - he hyped up Elvis as the "best non NHL goalie" last summer and made no contingency plans to bring in another goalie. If you look at the xGA vs our actual GAA the goalies have allowed in 22+ more goals than expected based on the shot quality and quantity they've faced. The D is allowing the second-lowest xGA in the entire league -> they're doing an amazing job in front of the net. But it's also not on Jarmo to start Elvis - and if Torts isn't going to roll him out there on the second night of a B2B, on the road (where Torts has him set up to become a random Elias statistic of most consecutive road starts to begin a career) against the worst team in the league, and he's not going to put him in after Korpi allowed 3 goals on 6 shots (a courtesy not extended to Elvis, apparently), then why is Jarmo not making moves? He needs games - he's said it, the organization has said it. Heck, they sent him to Cleveland twice to get games in November and have just...stopped? They're really bungling Elvis's development. Watch him get traded on the cheap and become our Bobrovsky (where he explodes with a new team).

Back to .500 - the mark in November when Torts wanted the team to find their identity. Maybe they can ride this momentum over two more bad teams and close the gap on WC2. We'll see.

Btw, Stenlund is the latest forward to likely have passed Wennberg on the depth chart. Good we have other options down the middle, bad that we're still on the hook (for now) for Wennberg's salary for 3+ more years.

Team shooting % is up to 7.7% -> no longer last in the league. Cam is back up to 8% and maybe rounding into form finally? Bjorkstrand looking like he could post a 25-25-50 season.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Tired of every GDT turning into a referendum on our goalie situation.

Well deserved win by the team. Good job boys. Go get the next one.

I haven't been very active, so I really don't know the status of our GDT. Wins are wins (always happy when we get one) and our goal tending situation is currently trash (the situation not the players. Korp is Korp, but he's not trash). That might change tomorrow, next week, next season, or 4 seasons from now. We knew there was going to be, at least, a short term hit. Shouldn't be a surprise. It's on JK.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Tough break for Peeke. Torts made it clear by scratching Harrington that Harry is now our...what...10th best Dman in the organization? You don't hand your 10th best Dman in the organization a 3-year, 1-way deal but Jarmo did. Now I'm worried about having Harrington play. Word last week on Nuti was that he had something else happen that is causing him to stay on IR longer?

If Torts doesn't trust Elvis at all (and he doesn't), why isn't the club sending him to Cleveland and either calling up Matiss to open the door or signing a cheap veteran? Al Montoya is still available lol. Keith Kinkaid went on waivers not long ago. I place most of this mess on Jarmo - he hyped up Elvis as the "best non NHL goalie" last summer and made no contingency plans to bring in another goalie. If you look at the xGA vs our actual GAA the goalies have allowed in 22+ more goals than expected based on the shot quality and quantity they've faced. The D is allowing the second-lowest xGA in the entire league -> they're doing an amazing job in front of the net. But it's also not on Jarmo to start Elvis - and if Torts isn't going to roll him out there on the second night of a B2B, on the road (where Torts has him set up to become a random Elias statistic of most consecutive road starts to begin a career) against the worst team in the league, and he's not going to put him in after Korpi allowed 3 goals on 6 shots (a courtesy not extended to Elvis, apparently), then why is Jarmo not making moves? He needs games - he's said it, the organization has said it. Heck, they sent him to Cleveland twice to get games in November and have just...stopped? They're really bungling Elvis's development. Watch him get traded on the cheap and become our Bobrovsky (where he explodes with a new team).

Back to .500 - the mark in November when Torts wanted the team to find their identity. Maybe they can ride this momentum over two more bad teams and close the gap on WC2. We'll see.

Btw, Stenlund is the latest forward to likely have passed Wennberg on the depth chart. Good we have other options down the middle, bad that we're still on the hook (for now) for Wennberg's salary for 3+ more years.

Team shooting % is up to 7.7% -> no longer last in the league. Cam is back up to 8% and maybe rounding into form finally? Bjorkstrand looking like he could post a 25-25-50 season.
I wonder if he gave Korpisalo the back to back because it was Detroit and he wanted to see what he gets with him in that situation. Plus it gives him a chance to give Elvis a home start. We'll find out Thursday.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I wonder if he gave Korpisalo the back to back because it was Detroit and he wanted to see what he gets with him in that situation. Plus it gives him a chance to give Elvis a home start. We'll find out Thursday.

Maybe, though at this point I'd rather they just send Elvis to Cleveland to start playing there regularly. Kid needs North American games and he's had, what, 10 total appearances so far this season? It makes no sense to keep him with the big club to play once every two weeks.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Maybe, though at this point I'd rather they just send Elvis to Cleveland to start playing there regularly. Kid needs North American games and he's had, what, 10 total appearances so far this season? It makes no sense to keep him with the big club to play once every two weeks.
I would too, but they would need to sign a 3rd goalie for when he is in Cleveland. That way you may be able to play him more in Cleveland and still maybe get him time with the big club.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I would too, but they would need to sign a 3rd goalie for when he is in Cleveland. That way you may be able to play him more in Cleveland and still maybe get him time with the big club.

They can send VV or Matiss up. Or just sign, I don't know, Chad Johnson, Michal Neuvirth, or Al Montoya to a league minimum.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
They can send VV or Matiss up. Or just sign, I don't know, Chad Johnson, Michal Neuvirth, or Al Montoya to a league minimum.
Adding a veteran backup to the CBJ to then have three goalies in Cleveland seems pointless. If Elvis goes down for some PT then either Kiv or V2 should be elevated to backup Korpi.

That said, our schedule is really condensed over the next month, I would hope Elvis gets his share of starts (maybe as many as five of the next sixteen depending on how he plays) including the next one at home vs the LA Kings.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
...We knew there was going to be, at least, a short term hit. Shouldn't be a surprise. It's on JK.
Among goalies with 15+ starts...

Korpi: 14-10-3 record, 2.64 GAA (13th in league) and .908 Save Percentage (24th in league)
Bobs: 12-9-4 record, 3.06 GAA (34th in league) and .903 Save Percentage (31st in league)

Yes I know supposedly the CBJ protect their goalies more than Florida but that's hard to believe when you see how many odd man rushes this team has given up this season (though they've been much better lately).

This is not a Korpi vs Elvis thing. But hard to argue that in the short term we have taken a hit in net going from Bobs to Korpi.

Reactions: thebus88

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
No other logical place to put this so I am putting it here. Nearly 25% of all conference finalists since 2005-2006 were non-playoff teams on Dec 20th.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad