Post-Game Talk: Game #34: Canucks 4, Oilers 0 - Kassian hurt Edmonton's feelings. Suspension looming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The more I watch that Kass video, the more it appears he was asking Hall where he can get one of those Horseface masks.

I'd like to know as well. I'd definately get a hall jersey and wear that for Halloween.

TacitEndorsement

Jul 2, 2009
It's a flat, cold surface where the game is played. Seriously.

You've got no idea what led up to Kassian's gesture, and even if we agree that it was directed at Gagner (which we don't), we have no idea what was said to precipitate the whole event.

You and many others are making out like Kassian skated out of no where and started mocking Gagner for his injury while he wilted on the Oilers bench. Seems to me that after a player tried to run Kassian in the dying minutes, Grazdik seemed to find his toughness and wanted to engage Kassian, and Gagner had something to say about it as well.... from the bench.

What is it with people who refuse to contextualize events?

You know, it is possible that after all the threats directed his way, Kassian was merely gesturing to his own face that it was still doing just fine. I mean, who really knows? Why the rush to assume something and then judge the player for that?

Because Canucks.

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Show me where he makes fun of Daniel's concussion, please.

Not regretting the play that caused an injury is entirely different than making fun of the player for actually having an injury. I don't really care whether or not Kassian regrets the play that caused Gagner's injury(well, I do, but only because it was a really terrible play regardless of injury). But if he was making fun of Gagner because of his injury then that doesn't seem right to me.

I'd feel bad for Gagner if he didn't gallop over when there was a scrum and start running his "wired" mouth. He asked for it pretty clearly by doing that.

I'd say it's about time we had a player who didn't give a **** instead of always doing the right thing

skyo

Benning Squad
Sep 22, 2013
CanucksCorner
canuckscorner.com
lol that Kassian chirp thread in hockey talk already having more posts in a few hours compared to most of the threads that have been there for 2-3 days. :amazed:

The Power Forward story in the making!

Well we're gonna need more of that tough play tonight at 7!

bsjezz

Nov 28, 2011
Is it just me or did Daniel punch/elbow RNH in the head there?

pretty much

sedinrnh-o.gif

McLlwain

Trevor Forever
Jun 9, 2005
Cologne/Germany
Ive got it figured out!

Torts has been keeping the Sedins and Kass split up so he can put them together tomorrow and theyll surprise the Bruins by potting points while keeping the Twins protected!

I hope

I wouldn't be surprised, and was thinking the same thing. Regardless if he starts with the twins, I won't be surprised if he ends up finishing with them.

Wasn't it mentioned during the first period that Torts said, Kassian needs to be more defensively reliable before he can put him with the Twins? Don't remember the exact wording but it was something along those lines.
Hansen sure isn't the perfect match for the Sedins, either, but with Burrows out and all the other lines finally starting to gel, he's probably the best option.

And, yes, me too liked the Torts presser. He'll have the boys ready for the Bruins. Can't ask for anything more from him.

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
Watching these pressers, im liking Torts more and more...
On the team's rep in media, post that run to the final: "it makes me sick. Guys taking potshots and they dont have a clue."

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Wasn't it mentioned during the first period that Torts said, Kassian needs to be more defensively reliable before he can put him with the Twins? Don't remember the exact wording but it was something along those lines.
Hansen sure isn't the perfect match for the Sedins, either, but with Burrows out and all the other lines finally starting to gel, he's probably the best option.

And, yes, me too liked the Torts presser. He'll have the boys ready for the Bruins. Can't ask for anything more from him.

I agree with this. The Sedins play an insane amount of ice time against top tier players. Their winger has to be able to handle those minutes, and frankly, Kassian isn't right now imo.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Times are so tough in Edmonton they are really losing it. Their team starts by mugging Kassian, chirping him, chirping him from the bench and then gets upset he chirps them back. I could understand the extent of the anger if Kassian skated by and just randomly started chirping Gagner, but Edmonton started it.

Perron wanted a piece of Kassian when Kassian was just trying to play out the game with incident. When he saw Kassian turn around Perron clenched so hard his disappeared up his own ass, then waited until he was behind the ref before reappearing - exact opposite of tough or heart. If you are going to start **** to make a point, hang around don't ***** out like Perron. Perron's a rat, dives, cheap and never fights - like more skilled more cowardly Burrows at his worst.

Kassian still didn't react, he just wanted to let it blow over even with Perron and Gazdic chirping him, took Gagner and the bench full of the Edmonton to continue chirping him to goad a reaction, then the cry and get indignant when they get one? Sad.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Torts really should put Kassian with the Sedins already.

Broadcast said yesterday he won't until Kassian improves defensively which is fair. I do think he should get some shifts with them though. His play is back on an upswing the last few. Hansen can't hit the broad side of a barn right now.

On Kassian "not stepping up"...the Oilers didn't even say/do anything until 30 second left in the game and when they did it was their resident goon and another guy who would have turtled as soon as Kassian took a step towards. And it was the middle of a scrum. No way should anyone expect Kassian to drop them at that point. If they really wanted him to answer some sort of bell it should have been in the first. If they really want to get their underwear in a twist it ought to be over the fact that know one on that bench even thought to challenge Kassian or make it a rough night for him until the end of the game at a meaningless time. I suspect the lack of challenging has some to do with the Oilers lineup being soft to begin with but I can't help but wonder if a large part of it was also witnessing the Eager KO first hand AND the stick swing...they're scared of him.

And I say good for Kassian in not being brought into that crap with 30 second left. There was nothing in it for him or the team except possible injury and he drew a penalty which allowed the 4th line to get their reward.

Tanev...guess I was wrong. I never expected him to be more than a 4/5 type of guy. A solid one but not a top pairing guy. While he hasn't fully proven he is a top pairing guy yet (you need more than a quarter of a season to prove that), the potential for it is clear as day right now. I still think his offensive numbers will be low enough that a huge money extension is unlikely but if he keeps this up the canucks are likely looking at a 3 to 4 mil a year.

Last edited:

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Times are so tough in Edmonton they are really losing it. Their team starts by mugging Kassian, chirping him, chirping him from the bench and then gets upset he chirps them back. I could understand the extent of the anger if Kassian skated by and just randomly started chirping Gagner, but Edmonton started it.

Perron wanted a piece of Kassian when Kassian was just trying to play out the game with incident. When he saw Kassian turn around Perron clenched so hard his disappeared up his own ass, then waited until he was behind the ref before reappearing - exact opposite of tough or heart. If you are going to start **** to make a point, hang around don't ***** out like Perron. Perron's a rat, dives, cheap and never fights - like more skilled more cowardly Burrows at his worst.

Kassian still didn't react, he just wanted to let it blow over even with Perron and Gazdic chirping him, took Gagner and the bench full of the Edmonton to continue chirping him to goad a reaction, then the cry and get indignant when they get one? Sad.

Ive only seen the gif so I still have no idea what is going on with that.

But if he did out of the blue to Gagner its "classless" etc would prefer he didnt get into type of stuff. Hardly worth the outrage though.

But no one seems to be clear on who he did it to or what he was actually doing.

I find that thread totally confusing.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Meh. If it was a taunt so what? Might be the tamest thing someone said on the ice all night. For some reason that's not OK but some guy calling Kassian (allegedly) an alcoholic is good clean fun? Yeesh. It happens in beer league! And in fact happened in my beer league a couple weeks ago. Last time we played a team there was a pretty good, intentional slash that forced one of our guys from the rest of the game. Played them the last time and he was constantly ridiculed and mocked and asked how the arm was etc. **** happens ON THE ICE in hockey. It is far from the worse thing ever done and likely wasn't even the worst thing said last night. What gets said out there isn't please and thank yous and sorrys. It's clearly vulgar and offensive on the ice so I wonder why people are always surprised it's vulgar and offensive. As mentioned before, staying away from racial slurs is about the only trash talk rule (and the only rule the league will enforce. edit: homophobic slurs as well now or soon I'm guessing). The other one that many feel violates the code is talking about wives/girlfriends/family. In the tradition of trash talking code "Kelly, she's a nice gal" goes over the line far more than what Kassian supposedly did.

Gagner took pictures of his injury and some of his recovery and posted them to twitter...Kassian was probably just wondering what he was wearing around his face because Gagner hadn't tweeted that look yet.

And to be honest this is what I want Kassian to do. Being the focal point for opposition fury and having the opposition lose focus because of it isn't a bad thing.

Above all the biggest rule when engaging in trash talk....THERE'S NO CRYING IN TRASH TALK. Looks like a fan and media base has forgotten that.

Last edited:

SergioMomesso

Mar 8, 2011
What's Gagner still wearing that jaw protecter for. Don't broken jaws heal within 6-8 weeks. Be a man rake it off or don't play until you are ready.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I though Kassian played great last night. Nice goal, and about a half-dozen short good passes. I really like him and Booth together, and Richardson is playing great with them as well.

As for the end of game stuff, Gagner got pretty messed up from that high-stick so it would be an odd thing for Kassian to make fun of. Really strange how the Oilers waited 58 minutes to even attempt to do anything about Kassian, though. They essentially let him off the hook.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
What's Gagner still wearing that jaw protecter for. Don't broken jaws heal within 6-8 weeks. Be a man rake it off or don't play until you are ready.

It might be a confidence thing. Even if physically healed he might wear it just to feel more comfortable playing.

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
There have been sad sack franchises in the past...but mostly that was expansion teams.

I don't think I have ever seen such an organization as broken down as the Oilers.

They have no heart. Their coach seems to be curiously uninformed in terms of what his players are capable of. Their skill players float, give the puck away or try the same tired dangles over and over.

The management represented by KLowe is the worst in all of sports. Giving sweetheart contracts to guys who have done exactly nothing in the NHL and then hiring a rookie coach to try and teach them how to play NHL hockey.

And their fan base has moved on from anger to apathy...well maybe some of them are still angry about Kassian :)laugh:)...but really, this is the most broken down useless (non expansion) team I have ever seen.

I use to say that the Oiler fan base deserves better. But really, they put up with this crap (and sell out game after game while Katz gets public money to build a new arena) so the truth is, they deserve the team they have.

MrShift4

GRRRR.......Babe
Aug 17, 2011
Calgary
There have been sad sack franchises in the past...but mostly that was expansion teams.

I don't think I have ever seen such an organization as broken down as the Oilers.

........... (space saver)

All well said ddawg
Talk about a team that needs a total rehaul.

Dare I say I am to the point of actually feeling sorry for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad