GDT: Game 32: Seattle Kraken(18-10-3) @ Vancouver Canucks(13-15-3) - 7:00 p.m. PT / 10:00 p.m. ET

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
So...is Olczyk here to take over for Hakstol when the inevitable happens?
giphy.gif

Also, there's a lot of them in our organization.

So., which one?
giphy.gif

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
People don't talk enough about how fighting can be very selfish at times. At times it can be predictable which team stands to gain momentum from a fight.
I don't think the fight really made that much difference. More significantly I think we were out coached. We should have had a better game plan for shutting down their one good player.

So...is Olczyk here to take over for Hakstol when the inevitable happens?
Huh? I mean huh?

Replacing Hakstol wouldn't be a bad idea though. If I'm Francis I'm on the phone to see if Trotz would be interested and if he was I'm all in.

Baszie

Apr 29, 2021
Kraken have the most goals for in the league at 5v5 and are leading in g/60. In 5v5 goal differential/60 the Kraken 3rd in the league. Some improvement in special teams and you have a great team!

Some remarkable individual stats:

5v5 g/60:
1. McCann
2. Sprong
12. Donato

5v5 p/60
1. Geekie
4. Sprong
15. McCann

Since the start of the 2020/2021 season Sprong is 2nd in 5v5 g/60 (minimum 1000 min.) after Matthews.

Reactions: majormajor

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
For having a coach with a stick up his ass we sure seem to have a lax approach to some defense basics.

This sequence would have made Tortorella apoplectic. He is all about stick position.
Aside from stick position, why do they have 3 guys covering the bumper? LOL

I've seen weak puck chasing teams collapse into a tight box but they deliberately stacked into the slot, 2 directly covering the bumper, WTF.

If I'm Francis I'm on the phone to see if Trotz would be interested and if he was I'm all in.
He wants to coach an Original 6 team, but he is available. This roster does not suit his style of play, but the Caps weren't really a good fit either, and he won the Cup....

The other problem is that he's got no connections to anyone in the Kraken organization that I am aware of. Rumor is that he's looking for a front office job after he's done coaching, that could be an enticement.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Kraken have the most goals for in the league at 5v5 and are leading in g/60. In 5v5 goal differential/60 the Kraken 3rd in the league. Some improvement in special teams and you have a great team!

Some remarkable individual stats:

5v5 g/60:
1. McCann
2. Sprong
12. Donato

5v5 p/60
1. Geekie
4. Sprong
15. McCann

Since the start of the 2020/2021 season Sprong is 2nd in 5v5 g/60 (minimum 1000 min.) after Matthews.

Rate scoring can be erratic but the fact that Sprong has been that good for three seasons now and still couldn't get a job over the summer is amazing. That ought to be an indictment of pro scouting around the league - the numbers were right there.

Also, I agree with whoever suggested that Sprong get a shot in 3v3. I think a lot of our 3v3 guys don't really do anything.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He wants to coach an Original 6 team, but he is available. This roster does not suit his style of play, but the Caps weren't really a good fit either, and he won the Cup....

The other problem is that he's got no connections to anyone in the Kraken organization that I am aware of. Rumor is that he's looking for a front office job after he's done coaching, that could be an enticement.

The effort level and the number of good veterans would all be appealing to Trotz. He would see it as his job to take care of the bad defensive play.

He is rumored to want a GM job so it's hard to see anything being an enticement here unless Francis is eager to give up the job.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
The effort level and the number of good veterans would all be appealing to Trotz. He would see it as his job to take care of the bad defensive play.

He is rumored to want a GM job so it's hard to see anything being an enticement here unless Francis is eager to give up the job.
No team is gonna promise him a GM job if that's what he's looking for. I was thinking the Kraken have space for more VPs, lol. Plus he'd have to serve as AGM first, and he's getting up in age. But yeah, he's too close to Francis' age if he is indeed looking to GM. I expect Francis will be here for a decade or so. Not impressed with the ED or coach selection, but he's done well in the draft and free agency.

wewantyoursoul

Oct 14, 2021
Happy Valley, OR
I only brought up Eddie Olczyk because it didn't make a lot of sense why he was injected into the TV lineup. He really feels like the odd-man-out...JF and JTB were developing a really good rapport together. Edzo is contantly interrupting Forslund and always has the "right fix" for the Kraken. It just *sounds* like he's passive aggressively angling for the job.

But keep in mind...I'm not an expert hockey guy. I don't know a lot of the history behind a lot of these guys...so my comment may be waaaaay off base. But it did get some conversation moving <grin>.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
No team is gonna promise him a GM job if that's what he's looking for. I was thinking the Kraken have space for more VPs, lol. Plus he'd have to serve as AGM first, and he's getting up in age. But yeah, he's too close to Francis' age if he is indeed looking to GM. I expect Francis will be here for a decade or so. Not impressed with the ED or coach selection, but he's done well in the draft and free agency.

I don't think it works with his and Francis' respective ages, but I do think some teams would want to bring Trotz on board as both coach and future GM. Edmonton for example has Ken Holland who is old as dirt, and they might need a new coach soon.

I only brought up Eddie Olczyk because it didn't make a lot of sense why he was injected into the TV lineup. He really feels like the odd-man-out...JF and JTB were developing a really good rapport together. Edzo is contantly interrupting Forslund and always has the "right fix" for the Kraken. It just *sounds* like he's passive aggressively angling for the job.

But keep in mind...I'm not an expert hockey guy. I don't know a lot of the history behind a lot of these guys...so my comment may be waaaaay off base. But it did get some conversation moving <grin>.

I'm sure Olczyk was one of the more sought after commentators in the league, he's generically better than JT who has a plodding head voice. The problem is more between Olczyk and Forslund - the chemistry is lacking. I think Forslund really likes to steer the conversation while Olczyk is just not controllable, so they bump heads.

Reactions: wewantyoursoul

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

Firing Hakstol just to bring in Edzo as you coach would be nuts.
Edzo has next to no experience and the little he got wasn't good at all.

1) I don't think they fire Hakstol during the season given the strong start and, unless they fall completely off a cliff, the fact that the team should finish way better than last year anyways.

2) If they would fire Hakstol than guys like Jay Beach or Dave Lowry(who was just brought in this offseason) would make way more sense.

Reactions: wewantyoursoul

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021

I heard that same original 6 thing and that means Toronto if they fail again this year and fire people or Chicago as a build from the ground up deal. Toronto would certainly not be a fit as is but I suppose he might like the idea of building Chicago from the ground up if they gave him term.

idk, I'd offer him money and term but I'm never sure on who is connected to whom. Just don't let Botterill have ANY say in a coaching hire. His Ralph Kreuger move in Buffalo was a historical joke. of legendary proportions.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Rate scoring can be erratic but the fact that Sprong has been that good for three seasons now and still couldn't get a job over the summer is amazing. That ought to be an indictment of pro scouting around the league - the numbers were right there.

Also, I agree with whoever suggested that Sprong get a shot in 3v3. I think a lot of our 3v3 guys don't really do anything.
I was the guy who was pushing for the Kraken to sign Sprong. He also deserves more ice time with more Offensive linemates. Wennberg would be great with Sprong. The playmaker and shooter

Reactions: majormajor

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad