GDT: Game #32| Mar. 26, 2013| Rangers at Flyers | 7:30 p.m. ET

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Lavi looked completly deflated in his presser..

he is a man out of ideas, and knows the axe is coming...

He's a forcheck-heavy coach trying to coach a more defensive system, from what we've seen lately. Washington seriously JUST tried that with Boudreau and it failed, yet here we are trying it again.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
He's a forcheck-heavy coach trying to coach a more defensive system, from what we've seen lately. Washington seriously JUST tried that with Boudreau and it failed, yet here we are trying it again.

agreed..

clearly Lavi is not coaching to his strengths anymore..

his 1st n second year he was in his element, but thats all gone now..

all thats left is a husk of a man who's been drained of his fire and his players to make HIS system work.

i dont hate Lavi, i just think his time has come.. it happens in hockey. or any professional sport for that matter.

WeekendAtBernies

Jun 27, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
For a long time, I blamed Laviolette. I still don't think he's a great coach... I hate his failures to adjust in the NJ series for example. That being said, he's not to blame for this season.

As a GM, you cannot in good conscience give your aggressive forechecking offensive minded coach only ONE PUCKMOVING DEFENSEMAN... and a 38 year old one at that... and expect him to have success.

This is what happens when you have an old, impatient owner, you're always chasing the mistakes that plagued you in prior seasons.

Lose the cup because of goaltending? Trade away your franchise forwards and acquire a big money goalie.

Big money goalie under-performing because he was a product of Phoenix's defensive system? Acquire a bunch of big, slow, hulking defensive defensemen to try and create a defensive system.

The only question to ask now isn't "will the Flyers make another big move this offseason?", the question is "how far back will this move set us?"

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Can people stop suggesting Lindy Ruff as a replacement for Lavi. This ****y season is already too much to handle. I couldn't tolerate looking at the jack*** behind our bench.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
For a long time, I blamed Laviolette. I still don't think he's a great coach... I hate his failures to adjust in the NJ series for example. That being said, he's not to blame for this season.

As a GM, you cannot in good conscience give your aggressive forechecking offensive minded coach only ONE PUCKMOVING DEFENSEMAN... and a 38 year old one at that... and expect him to have success.

This is what happens when you have an old, impatient owner, you're always chasing the mistakes that plagued you in prior seasons.

Lose the cup because of goaltending? Trade away your franchise forwards and acquire a big money goalie.

Big money goalie under-performing because he was a product of Phoenix's defensive system? Acquire a bunch of big, slow, hulking defensive defensemen to try and create a defensive system.

The only question to ask now isn't "will the Flyers make another big move this offseason?", the question is "how far back will this move set us?"

He also signed Fedotenko, who's defensively solid but can't do the whole "hard, fast forechecking" thing...at all. The team is a mix of players and coach that doesn't add up.

5 4 Fighting

Registered snoozer
Feb 13, 2013
Bk all day
Rangers fan here coming in peace, just wanted to let you guys know that I really don't think you should blame Bryzgalov for this game. He made some outstanding saves to keep your team in the game since the first period. That first Nash shot was unstoppable, but he got everything else. I was incredibly frustrated that he kept making these crazy saves, his first save of the game, not even a minute in, he robs Hagelin on a breakaway. When a team gives up a breakaway in the first minute, I don't think you guys should be blaming Bryz. He's a top 20 goaltender who stands on his head more often than not. I think the problem is that your forwards need more support from their D-men, and no offense, you guys got rid of Carle, and basically only have 1 PMD in Kimmo. Schenn is big and physical, but he can't do much else. Coburn is also stuggling. You guys need more offense-minded Defensemen, and before you know it you guys will be back at the top of the conference next year. Don't sweat it guys, you have a tremendouse group of young talent, just need to develop some of the D and you will be golden.

WeekendAtBernies

Jun 27, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Rangers fan here coming in peace, just wanted to let you guys know that I really don't think you should blame Bryzgalov for this game. He made some outstanding saves to keep your team in the game since the first period. That first Nash shot was unstoppable, but he got everything else. I was incredibly frustrated that he kept making these crazy saves, his first save of the game, not even a minute in, he robs Hagelin on a breakaway. When a team gives up a breakaway in the first minute, I don't think you guys should be blaming Bryz. He's a top 20 goaltender who stands on his head more often than not. I think the problem is that your forwards need more support from their D-men, and no offense, you guys got rid of Carle, and basically only have 1 PMD in Kimmo. Schenn is big and physical, but he can't do much else. Coburn is also stuggling. You guys need more offense-minded Defensemen, and before you know it you guys will be back at the top of the conference next year. Don't sweat it guys, you have a tremendouse group of young talent, just need to develop some of the D and you will be golden.

We definitely shouldn't blame Bryz tonight. Only 2 of the 5 goals were bad, which is an improvement for Bryz.

And even the softies weren't that bad...

I knew Nash had a good shot, but wow that laser from Richards @ the point was absolutely unexpected. Guy's got a cannon. No way Bryz could've stopped that one.

The Nash wraparound was just another great play by Nash too. When I watched that goal, I was just so in awe of Nash and his greatness that I completely ignored the horrible positioning of Bryz and the fact that it should've been easily stopped.
:sarcasm:

Seriously though, you guys played a great game and completely deserved the win. You outplayed us in a 3 ends. And your goalie certainly outplayed ours.

StandingCow

May 15, 2010
It isn't bryz, I agree.

I think it's the system with the personnel we have. The system needs to change.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA

He tried to and I bet nearly did get weber. Also tried to get suter. Didn't happen but that's not his fault I bet he's inquiried about every pmd d in the league and heard the price and walked away like he should have. Did you want Matt carle back here? Sometimes **** happens and you get just go out and sign it back to bring better. Only thing to do now is wait and draft what we need or trade for it later but nothing's doing right now.

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
This is supposed to be a desperate team. They start a 5 game homestand. Against a heated divisional rival. A team that lets face it has been struggling to put the puck in the net. They could only get 1 against Florida at home. and they got 5. Inexcusable.
Wonder what Snider and Holmgren were thinking watching this game tonight? Still think we are a playoff team? LOL.
What a joke.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA

And bryz was a vezina finalist. Everyone was at least happy we were going to have goaltending finally here. Didn't workout, **** happens. Not homers fault. Only thing now is to look fwd and I'm hoping that is bernier and bryz and briere buyout or briere trade and timonen buyout.

Gibbs18

Apr 28, 2011
Elmer, NJ
We definitely shouldn't blame Bryz tonight. Only 2 of the 5 goals were bad, which is an improvement for Bryz.

And even the softies weren't that bad...

I knew Nash had a good shot, but wow that laser from Richards @ the point was absolutely unexpected. Guy's got a cannon. No way Bryz could've stopped that one.

The Nash wraparound was just another great play by Nash too. When I watched that goal, I was just so in awe of Nash and his greatness that I completely ignored the horrible positioning of Bryz and the fact that it should've been easily stopped.
:sarcasm:

Seriously though, you guys played a great game and completely deserved the win. You outplayed us in a 3 ends. And your goalie certainly outplayed ours.

This. I watched it live and I literally thought Coburn straight up missed the pass and it went straight to Nash's stick, then they showed the slow motion replay and I was in shock that Nash pulled that off. Coburn literally had body position and everything and Nash skates behind him and lifts his stick so quick it was barely noticeable and just stole the puck and then the rest is history.

I was just like holy **** he really pulled that off.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
And bryz was a vezina finalist. Everyone was at least happy we were going to have goaltending finally here. Didn't workout, **** happens. Not homers fault. Only thing now is to look fwd and I'm hoping that is bernier and bryz and briere buyout or briere trade and timonen buyout.

Timonen shouldn't and won't be bought out. It's not just a matter of taking the highest salaries and flushing them. Timonen is one of the few players who looks like he gives a crap out there and can actually make and receive a pass. There's a huge indictment factor in being bought out, and buying out the unofficial captain of this team would send a ridiculous message to the many, many underachievers on this sad sack squad.

Bernie Parent 1974

Sep 29, 2009
Start of the year, he was told to be more defensive I believe?

I thought he said he was not gonna change & the best D is keeping the puck in the O zone. I'm certain he said that.

found it from 3 days before the season started:

Peter Laviolette conceded that the Flyers can give goalie Ilya Bryzgalov more support this year, but made it clear he does not plan to change the team's modus operandi: attack, attack, attack.

And attack some more.

Laviolette likes to talk about playing with "jam," and his 2013 edition will not be different.

"I think teams always want to play good defense; they always want to take care of their own end," he said after another fast-paced practice. But . . . "I can tell you that the first thing I said to my team is that we're going to attack. We're going to put pucks behind and we're going to go after it."

http://articles.philly.com/2013-01-17/sports/36376090_1_peter-laviolette-claude-giroux-sidney-crosby

so, when did he start coaching against this philosophy ??

Last edited:

Bernie Parent 1974

Sep 29, 2009

thats what the Flyers do: come out flat in the biggest game of the year, give up high % chances & you guys had twice the attack zone time as we did.

what you will hear from some around here is the bad 4th goal is why we lost around & Bobrovsky got a shutout. and Bryz gets paid too much.

not many around here will admit that, yet again, the team comes out flat & floats for the first 34 minutes or so.

this team should have come out flying .... and they didn't. that's not on the goalie.

even you said Bryz was the reason we were in it.

but the focus will be on goal #4 [which was another example of how you outworked us & a poor play by Coburn, even though mostly Bryz's fault]

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Timonen shouldn't and won't be bought out. It's not just a matter of taking the highest salaries and flushing them. Timonen is one of the few players who looks like he gives a crap out there and can actually make and receive a pass. There's a huge indictment factor in being bought out, and buying out the unofficial captain of this team would send a ridiculous message to the many, many underachievers on this sad sack squad.

There are plenty of other messages they should be paying attention to. I'm not sure timonen wants to be a part of a rebuilding process. I'd rather give that slot and a few others to some of our AHL guys. I think you have to start giving them better looks to see what we have. And timo may be our pseudo captain but he has lost a step and a lot of his penalties show that. There are better UFA out there this offseason that I would take over him.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
thats what the Flyers do: come out flat in the biggest game of the year, give up high % chances & you guys had twice the attack zone time as we did.

what you will hear from some around here is the bad 4th goal is why we lost around here & Bobrovsky got a shutout. and Bryz gets paid too much.

not many around here will admit that, yet again, the team comes out flat & floats for the first 34 minutes or so.

this team should have come out flying .... and they didn't. that's not on the goalie.

even you said Bryz was the reason we were in it.

but the focus will be on goal #4 [which was another example of how you outworked us & an poor play by Coburn, even though mostly Bryz's fault]

Others refuse to admit that Bryzgalov hasn't been anywhere close to the goaltending solution he was meant to be over the course of this season and last.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I'm rewatching the 2nd period right now, where the Flyers actually had pressure on the Rangers. Time and time again, they had the puck with momentum, but then made a pass to complicate the play. Couturier could have slid right into the high slot with the puck, but tried to force a pass through 2 Rangers. It's probably a confidence issue right now, but they are making such awful puck decisions.

And when they did try to shoot on net, a significant number missed the net completely.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Philadelphia Flyers Playoff Chances
Lost to NY Rangers 2-5, playoff odds down 4.5 to 2.7%

shipwreck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sep 7, 2011
Texas
I'm rewatching the 2nd period right now, where the Flyers actually had pressure on the Rangers. Time and time again, they had the puck with momentum, but then made a pass to complicate the play. Couturier could have slid right into the high slot with the puck, but tried to force a pass through 2 Rangers. It's probably a confidence issue right now, but they are making such awful puck decisions.

And when they did try to shoot on net, a significant number missed the net completely.

Yes, the team routinely passes instead of just shooting the puck. All of them do this all the time

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad