Post-Game Talk: Game #32: Canucks 3, Avalanche 1 - #BlameJohnGarrett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
more like laughing about it. why does he get the yips in the last couple minutes of games? :laugh:

As someone who follows advanced stats I'm surprised you believe this.

Advanced stats teaches us shots are essentially the same regardless of where or when they are taken. "Letting in late goals" is simply a fluke instance that isn't provable by shot evidence. Shot 1 had as strong a chance of going is as the last shot.

Last edited by a moderator:

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
*doesn't watch game*
*looks at scoresheet*

Luongo HAS to be better at closing out games.

*analysis concluded*

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Why all of the fixation on Luongo in this thread?
The guy is having another solid year and has probably been our steadiest player game in and game out while shouldering one of the heaviest workloads in the game.
Looking at the stats his save percentage had steadily moved up and surprise, surprise, he's about even with Schneider who has played far fewer games. Sure he lets in the odd bad goal but so does every single goalie in the league. Letting in a goal with 7 seconds left is pretty meaningless in the big picture when the team is up by three goals.

We still have a few rough edges to smooth out on this team, but goaltending is not one of them. Luongo has been steady in net and gives the team a chance to win every night. If we score 3 goals we win.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
ok but he deals with that crap all game long. strange that he suddenly becomes mortal in the last couple minutes.

I don't know if there is a stat for this but over the past few seasons the Canucks have to be right up there with how many times they get scored on with under 2 minutes left to play in the period.

Lou has to take his share of blame for that.

Happened in the Olympics too.....

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
Luongo was good when he needed to be in the 1st period when the Aves were coming in waves.

Santorelli continues to be worth more than his weight in gold. Even if his production falls off I think he's going to continue to be a fan favorite. If we use him well I think he could take some hard minutes off the Sedins and Kesler like Malhotra did. Santorelli, Higgins and Kelser has something nice going but I'd be interested to see a Henrik, Kesler, Santorelli, 1-2-3 combo down the middle. I think we could get the most out of our wingers that way.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Dan Cloutier won 30+ games a season with that goal output from the team.:naughty:

True. Cloutier was a pretty good regular season goalie.
Complaining about Luo letting in a meaningless goal in the last 7 seconds is a bit like compalining about Scarlett Johansson having a mole. Ok, not quite but you get my drift. :)

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
True. Cloutier was a pretty good regular season goalie.
Complaining about Luo letting in a meaningless goal in the last 7 seconds is a bit like compalining about Scarlett Johansson having a mole. Ok, not quite but you get my drift. :)

Totally agree. She is ugly. ;)

sk8er

Nov 8, 2008
I avoid this place after a loss because of all the crap posted in here, and now it's getting depressing to come here after a win as well!
Will we never be happy for a damn win? It's two points, that's the goal of each game, goal accomplished....let's move on:shakehead

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I avoid this place after a loss because of all the crap posted in here, and now it's getting depressing to come here after a win as well!
Will we never be happy for a damn win? It's two points, that's the goal of each game, goal accomplished....let's move on:shakehead

Totally agree. Reading this thread you would never guess that we had won 4 in a row or 5 out of the last 6.
How about some positivity?
Kesler, Santo, Higgins have been a great second line during this stretch.
Garrison is on a real run too as is Luongo who is steadily climbing up the goalie stats.
I'm intrigued to see what the team can do when Burrows and Schroeder are back.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
If we score 3 goals we win.

23 teams in the league allow fewer than 3 goals per game so yes if you score 3 goals you win.

This is a true statement about virtually every single team/goaltender in the league.

Of course 29 teams also score at least 2 goals per game so in general if you don't score 3 you are probably going to lose.

I wish our record in games where we score 2 was better but for that we'd probably need Luongo to be more than "steady" and probably a few other things to change as well.

All of that being said, I am totally happy with the W and don't care about a last minute, mean nothing goal against. Luongo's numbers are improving as the first month disappears in the rearview mirror and I'm happy to wait until at least the halfway point to start drawing conclusions from his numbers.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Luongo was good when he needed to be in the 1st period when the Aves were coming in waves.

Santorelli continues to be worth more than his weight in gold. Even if his production falls off I think he's going to continue to be a fan favorite. If we use him well I think he could take some hard minutes off the Sedins and Kesler like Malhotra did. Santorelli, Higgins and Kelser has something nice going but I'd be interested to see a Henrik, Kesler, Santorelli, 1-2-3 combo down the middle. I think we could get the most out of our wingers that way.

I disagree with this. Currently gold is trading at about $1313 per ounce. Santorelli weighs about 3024 ounces. You're suggesting that Santorelli is a better than $4M player? Well, based on his production so far maybe it's not exactly that far fetched...

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
23 teams in the league allow fewer than 3 goals per game so yes if you score 3 goals you win.

This is a true statement about virtually every single team/goaltender in the league.

Of course 29 teams also score at least 2 goals per game so in general if you don't score 3 you are probably going to lose.

I wish our record in games where we score 2 was better but for that we'd probably need Luongo to be more than "steady" and probably a few other things to change as well.

All of that being said, I am totally happy with the W and don't care about a last minute, mean nothing goal against. Luongo's numbers are improving as the first month disappears in the rearview mirror and I'm happy to wait until at least the halfway point to start drawing conclusions from his numbers.

Agree that we would need a few other things to change. But Luongo has been more than steady. A .918 save percentage. I don't have the stats for the last stretch but it has steadily climbed up to be in the upper half of goalies. Luongo doesn't need to improve. He just needs to keep playing like he has and this team will continue to climb up the standings.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Agree that we would need a few other things to change. But Luongo has been more than steady. A .918 save percentage. I don't have the stats for the last stretch but it has steadily climbed up to be in the upper half of goalies. Luongo doesn't need to improve. He just needs to keep playing like he has and this team will continue to climb up the standings.

We are 1-1-3 in games where we score 2 goals. That one win came in a shootout, the one loss came in a game that was out of reach and we scored our second in garbage time, and two of the OTL's came in a shootout.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
I don't really see anyone complaining about Luongo in this thread... Just people complaining about the people potentially complaining about Luongo...

Luongo needed to be better, he recieved critism and a wake-up call from the coach and the fans. He's playing better and low and behold the team is winning. It's no surprise, this is what we need from him, game in and game out. As long as he provides that, there are no problems with him.

Finkle is Einhorn

Oct 13, 2003
Visit site

Posted this the last time we got into the whole 3 goal thing - San Jose has already lost 5 times after scoring three. Chicago has lost 4 times. So no, it's not applicable to every team in the league.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I don't really see anyone complaining about Luongo in this thread... Just people complaining about the people potentially complaining about Luongo...

Luongo needed to be better, he recieved critism and a wake-up call from the coach and the fans. He's playing better and low and behold the team is winning. It's no surprise, this is what we need from him, game in and game out. As long as he provides that, there are no problems with him.

The team is also winning because we're scoring more lately.

arsmaster*

You're not looking hard enough then.

EV strength SV% was one of the first things discussed in this PGT. The fact that is even part of the discussion, shows there is some complaining.

And really reign, do you see much different in Luongo in the last 4 games. I think he's been playing well ALL YEAR. Now we're just getting some results and aren't in a losing streak.

Winning cures all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad