Post-Game Talk: Game #32: Canucks 3, Avalanche 1 - #BlameJohnGarrett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
@DavidEbner4m
The redemption of Bobby Lu plays on: Luongo named third star of the week by NHL: 3-0-0, 1.30 GAA, .960 save percentage.

@msitkoffNHL14m
#Canes Jeff Skinner, #Oilers Taylor Hall and #Canucks Roberto Luongo have been named the NHL's 'Three Stars' for the period ending Dec. 8

Finkle is Einhorn

Oct 13, 2003
Visit site
Luongo needed to be better, he recieved critism and a wake-up call from the coach and the fans. He's playing better and low and behold the team is winning. It's no surprise, this is what we need from him, game in and game out. As long as he provides that, there are no problems with him.

I don't see much of a difference in his play as of late, still seems to be the solid - save for an iffy goal or two - he's been all season. Good, not great.

What I have seen as of late is the Canucks score 3+ goals in 5 of the last 6 games. That's why the team is winning.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I don't see much of a difference in his play as of late, still seems to be the solid - save for an iffy goal or two - he's been all season. Good, not great.

What I have seen as of late is the Canucks score 3+ goals in 5 of the last 6 games. That's why the team is winning.

Agreed. We actually played pretty well on the previous homestand but just couldn't put the puck in the net. I thought that we weren't quite as good on the road trip but managed to start scoring and won three out of four.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
You're not looking hard enough then.

EV strength SV% was one of the first things discussed in this PGT. The fact that is even part of the discussion, shows there is some complaining.

And really reign, do you see much different in Luongo in the last 4 games. I think he's been playing well ALL YEAR. Now we're just getting some results and aren't in a losing streak.

Winning cures all.

Yes, he's making more saves. In fact, his overall save percentage has been excellent in all our wins, which is what we need from him. Stop lots of pucks. Seems fair.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley

We've been getting more saves... so we haven't been behind as much... which makes it easier to score.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I disagree with this. Currently gold is trading at about $1313 per ounce. Santorelli weighs about 3024 ounces. You're suggesting that Santorelli is a better than $4M player? Well, based on his production so far maybe it's not exactly that far fetched...

Well - Santorelli is currently clicking at a 20-goal, 50-point pace. In today's NHL, that certainly seems to merit that kind of money for a lot of guys. Given that he's making the league minimum, he's certainly shooting above his paygrade, and is producing at a level consistent with players earning higher paygrades so...yes? :D

arsmaster*

We've been getting more saves... so we haven't been behind as much... which makes it easier to score.

blah blah blah.

Looks the exact same to me.

Making "lots" of saves affects sv%, too many people care too much about that number.

He's been good enough to win with in just about every start this year.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
Posted this the last time we got into the whole 3 goal thing - San Jose has already lost 5 times after scoring three. Chicago has lost 4 times. So no, it's not applicable to every team in the league.

Sorry - I didn't mean to sound like I was claiming you can end the game once a team reaches three goals because they are guaranteed to win, or that the 7 teams averaging 3 goals or more are at 1.000 right now.

My point is that the vast majority of teams, in the majority of their games, score less than three goals.

If your opponent is one of those teams and they're having one of those games (ie. in most situations), score three goals and you'll win.

Finkle is Einhorn

Oct 13, 2003
Visit site
You answered this for me...

I think somehow in all of this I've gotten woven in with the "defend Lu at all costs" camp, when in reality I'm almost doing the exact opposite. I'm not sure he can get back to the dominant, top 3 goaltender he used to be. What I am still sure of is that, more often than not, he'll get you a win with a little bit of run support.

Lundface*

blah blah blah.

Looks the exact same to me.

Making "lots" of saves affects sv%, too many people care too much about that number.

He's been good enough to win with in just about every start this year.

It's just such a mystery that now that he's making the extra save the team is winning games. People might not understand this but when a goalie is able to make an important stop it can help the team at the other end and completely change the outlook of the game.

The numbers apparently make your head spin so I won't mention sv% (magically, he's posted very good numbers recently) but the extra save is leading to less goals against....less holes to dig out of...but no, he's playing exactly the same

Finkle is Einhorn

Oct 13, 2003
Visit site
The numbers apparently make your head spin so I won't mention sv% (magically, he's posted very good numbers recently) but the extra save is leading to less goals against....less holes to dig out of...but no, he's playing exactly the same

Should I go through the last week of GDT's and pick out all the posts about him letting in a weak one, or do you want to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad