GDT: Game 31: Sharks @ Avalanche - Not An Emergency Thread (Unless We Lose) - 6PM

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I've got to say, Drouin is actually really fitting in here. We all worried that he would be really incompatible with Bednar because of his defensive deficiencies, but he is skating his ass off and working hard on the other side of the puck. You'd like to see more raw offensive production from him but he is at least playing Bednar's way.
His play the last 15 games or so has been much improved and he is putting in a great effort. Good for him to realize that he needed to be better of he wanted his NHL career to continue. I hope he keeps it up, that could be a nice boost for the team.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Lives and breathes hockey. It’s easy to say that but he’s the epitome of it. Has always been like that. He feels blessed to take every single shift in a National Hockey League game.

He was a high pick to if I remember right? He was supposed to be a star at some point.

I hope he gets the credit he deserves. That Ironman streak is just impressive, and then the cup. He's the most impressive 4C I think I've ever seen.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
The McDavid vs MacK debate will always be favoring McDavid because most people just see the points and ignore the other parts of the game. Mack cares more about winning and will do more of what it takes to win where all McDavid cares about is cherry picking to pick up points. I’ll take MacK who might score 20 points less than McDavid but will do a lot more to help the team win including the desire to actually win which seems to be overlooked in this debate

BrickNHL

Feb 25, 2019
The McDavid vs MacK debate will always be favoring McDavid because most people just see the points and ignore the other parts of the game. Mack cares more about winning and will do more of what it takes to win where all McDavid cares about is cherry picking to pick up points. I’ll take MacK who might score 20 points less than McDavid but will do a lot more to help the team win including the desire to actually win which seems to be overlooked in this debate

What about the Mackinnon from the first 20 games of the season?

Reactions: dahrougem2

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
He was a high pick to if I remember right? He was supposed to be a star at some point.

I hope he gets the credit he deserves. That Ironman streak is just impressive, and then the cup. He's the most impressive 4C I think I've ever seen.
Mid-1st pick. He was part of the Oilers original rebuild when their hopes rested on Ales Hemsky, Sam Gagner, Andrew Cogliano, Robert Nilsson, Jeff Petry, and Devan Dubnyk.

Every single player there besides Hemsky was miscast lol.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Reminds me of the Jagr vs Forsberg debates I used to have in high school.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
He’s seen as an elite goal scorer but only has 2 of 10 seasons netting 30+ goals. Throwing him a 8 year deal for 8mill when he’s already 30 is the sharks trying to have a bright spot in the lineup.

Term isn’t the boogeyman, that contract just sucks.
If he's the difference between making a few more runs or not, you take the term. Straight up. Their pensiveness since Kadri walked is what's killed their chances so far. Just get the f***ing guy.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Cogs is a monster, I don't know how you play like he does in a 4th line role and have as many games played as he does.

It's nuts, and he's a pretty unique 4th liner

Dude is getting older though. This might need to be his last year. I bet he'll be special in the playoffs if they can keep him healthy though.

Lives and breathes hockey. It’s easy to say that but he’s the epitome of it. Has always been like that. He feels blessed to take every single shift in a National Hockey League game.

I think it's got to be either

Screenshot 2023-12-17 220528.png

or

balls.jpg

He had 18 goals each of his first two seasons in Edmonton and even managed a 21G/21A season with Anaheim... but that was a decade ago 2013/14. I didn't watch him much before he got to us, was he always good defensively or did he develop into this as a way to extend his career?

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Watched this one a bit late, and read through the GDT all at once.

The fallacy that the Avs are a bad second period team: GF = 36 (5th most in league), GA = 26 (11th fewest in league).

The idea that so many seem to have that there is such a thing as a double minor for Boarding. There is not. The is a minor, a major (based on severity), and a match. A Game Misconduct is automatic with a major if there is as injury to the face or head.

As for other penalties, only high-sticking, butt-ending, spearing and head-butting have double minors. For high-sticking, it is automatic with injury, and there is no single minor for the other three. For the Game Misconducts, most majors carry the automatic GM, with some only automatic if case of injury. Note, illegal check to the head does not have a major. It is minor or match, nothing in between. Kicking and Slew-footing only have Match penalties. Roughing does not have a double minor, but it can be assessed twice (or more I suppose) at the same stoppage, for the same scrum, generally as an instigator plus punching below the level of a fighitng major (this is likely the case for MacD and the idiot that went after him....not enough to warrant an instigator + major, but have to call MacD for dropping gloves when the idiot did not, so both get minors, and the idiot get an extra for being an idiot).

Overall good game, would have liked to see more on the first PP, but at elast they got one. PK needs work, or different personnel...missing Makar and Samwise for sure. I am rather unimpressed by Jones, but Malinsky has potential. Byram is either trying too hard, or has mush for brains....I think the injuries really hurt his development, and hopefully he can get past it. RyJo is on pace to match his second best goal scoring season, but cannot set up others to save his life. He has always looked slow and often lazy, so his optics are no different this year, but the playmaking should be better. Nice to see Drouin getting comfortable and settle into his skill, and love to see the hustle.

Need to do the same to Chicago, and would like to see them do it to some top teams as well.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Nice to get a W but honestly just fits the pattern of beating bad teams and getting destroyed by good ones. Without some changes and without some guys getting healthy, hard to get too excited about it
Our GM is cooking something. Cutting losses with Tuna Tartar and moving on to bigger fish.

That's exactly what we should do. If the summer gambles don't work, react quick to fix the situation. Only problem is RyJo. That was the biggest risk and looks like it failed. Tougher to replace and move.

I agree that we beat the terrible teams but struggle vs the good. I think it's our level with this super top heavy team, unless our top players have a great day, but that's way too inconsistent way of playing.. to rely on couple players to play their best games. Not sustainable or won't bring us the cup. We need the whole team firing on all cylinders.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Our GM is cooking something. Cutting losses with Tuna Tartar and moving on to bigger fish.

That's exactly what we should do. If the summer gambles don't work, react quick to fix the situation. Only problem is RyJo. That was the biggest risk and looks like it failed. Tougher to replace and move.

I agree that we beat the terrible teams but struggle vs the good. I think it's our level with this super top heavy team, unless our top players have a great day, but that's way too inconsistent way of playing.. to rely on couple players to play their best games. Not sustainable or won't bring us the cup. We need the whole team firing on all cylinders.

What do you think comes out of the oven once it’s done cooking?

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
What do you think comes out of the oven once it’s done cooking?
Replacement for Tatar and RyJo(if he keeps playing badly), also we need to look at defenseman if Girard is out longer.

First replace Tatar. We cant go till the trade deadline with this forward depth.

Basically insert better player to Tatar and RyJo spots and then replace Girard if needed.( Find players who fits this team better, quick/fast/hard work/some goal scoring etc. that's a good start. Tatar and RyJo both missed those.) We need Bednar type of players.

Then add Landy and Kovalenko.. that would make a good team.

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
Replacement for Tatar and RyJo(if he keeps playing badly), also we need to look at defenseman if Girard is out longer.

First replace Tatar. We cant go till the trade deadline with this forward depth.

Basically insert better player to Tatar and RyJo spots and then replace Girard if needed.( Find players who fits this team better, quick/fast/hard work/some goal scoring etc. that's a good start. Tatar and RyJo both missed those.) We need Bednar type of players.

Would you do this trade?

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
I don't think Calgary would use two of its retention slots, but yeah. I would easily.

You’re probably right. There are several other Avs - Flames proposals there though. Wouldn’t mind Tanev at all.

Capfriendly has the Avs at 4.85 of cap space. Lindholm makes 4.85. So alternate scenarios are possible involving a trade for him. You can keep Johansen and simply do picks/prospects. Or you can ship Johansen out in the deal. Personally, the only way Ritchie is involved is if they also take Johansen. Otherwise, it’s the 2024 1st, Behrens and maybe something else.

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
McDavid has no heart, or "will to win," in nearly the same manner as MacKinnon.

Bonus! Makar >>>>> McDavid.

Malinski is making Girard obsolete, especially since he is a RHD. The more Sam plays the better he gets, and he is already doing a lot of small things that are necessary as games get more important.

dmac7719

Apr 27, 2018
Ontario
McDavid has no heart, or "will to win," in nearly the same manner as MacKinnon.

Bonus! Makar >>>>> McDavid.

Malinski is making Girard obsolete, especially since he is a RHD. The more Sam plays the better he gets, and he is already doing a lot of small things that are necessary as games get more important.
Sam Malinski and his 15 mins TOI a game are not making Girard obsolete. Even with Girard out, Malinski is barely breaking 16 mins TOI a game. Far cry from the 20-21 mins TOI that Girard was providing.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Occasionally? If by occasionally, you mean at a higher rate than MacKinnon then sure. Occasionally.

Yeah, that's why McDavid has 177 even strength points over the last 3 seasons and MacKinnon has 167.

I know we love our stars, I love them too. But people will look for anything to take away from Connor McDavid being the best player in the world.
Games played?
1702911405649.png

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad