GDT: Game 31: Sharks @ Avalanche - Not An Emergency Thread (Unless We Lose) - 6PM

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
McDavid has no heart, or "will to win," in nearly the same manner as MacKinnon.

Bonus! Makar >>>>> McDavid.

Malinski is making Girard obsolete, especially since he is a RHD. The more Sam plays the better he gets, and he is already doing a lot of small things that are necessary as games get more important.
He definitely isn’t… this teams transition game is desperately missing Girard right now. Malinski is definitely growing into his role, but he’s not ready for 20 and a PK role right now. Him stabilizing the bottom pair with JJ on a fully healthy defense would go a long ways though and he’s looking like he could do that though.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
McDavid has no heart, or "will to win," in nearly the same manner as MacKinnon.

Bonus! Makar >>>>> McDavid.

Malinski is making Girard obsolete, especially since he is a RHD. The more Sam plays the better he gets, and he is already doing a lot of small things that are necessary as games get more important.
It’s not that McDavid has no heart to win. I’m sure he wants to win, he just doesn’t do everything it takes to win. Putting up points isn’t everything

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Overall good game, would have liked to see more on the first PP, but at elast they got one. PK needs work, or different personnel...missing Makar and Samwise for sure. I am rather unimpressed by Jones, but Malinsky has potential. Byram is either trying too hard, or has mush for brains....I think the injuries really hurt his development, and hopefully he can get past it. RyJo is on pace to match his second best goal scoring season, but cannot set up others to save his life. He has always looked slow and often lazy, so his optics are no different this year, but the playmaking should be better. Nice to see Drouin getting comfortable and settle into his skill, and love to see the hustle.
The two main issues I see with Byram this season are those:
1. His decision makings: I find he is slower than he is in making decisions. He holds on to the puck a tad too long which allows the defenders to get on him and turnover the puck.

2. His skating: This issue ties in with #1 above. Byram is known for his skating but IMO his skating is overrated. The edges are there but his explosiveness in his first few steps and his straight line speed are overrated. He tends to hold on to the puck too long trying to out skate the forechecker but he doesn't have the explosiveness in his first few steps to get away from a fast forechecker. He then turns over the puck by making a late attempt to get rid of the puck but by then it is too late.

Malinski on the other hand tends to look better at the moment because he gets rid of the puck quicker and therefore appears to be more reliable. Byram has more potential obviously but Malinski makes less mistakes right now because he has quicker decision makings in moving the puck.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
Sam Malinski and his 15 mins TOI a game are not making Girard obsolete. Even with Girard out, Malinski is barely breaking 16 mins TOI a game. Far cry from the 20-21 mins TOI that Girard was providing.
Malinski is a rookie who just hit double digits in NHL games played, of course his TOI numbers are not yet comparable. But with Toews and Bo as the top 2 LHD- where does Sammy G play? Third pairing LHD making $5mil- with a cap crunch?

Last edited:

dmac7719

Apr 27, 2018
Ontario
Malinski is a rookie who just ht double digits in NHL games played, of course his TOI numbers are not yet comparable. But with Toews and Bo as the top 2 LHD- where does Sammy G play? Third pairing LHD making $5mil- with a cap crunch?
I think you are massively underestimating the difference in level between a 20-21 TOI dman vs a 15 TOI dman. Malinski looking better since his really shaky start, but thinking he is anywhere near replacing Girard on the second d pair is asinine.
As for where Girard plays, he'll continue to play on the Avs 2nd pairing, be it on the right side with Byram or on the left side with some other other dman if Byram were to ever be moved.

If Malinski was actually in any sort of position to make Girard obsolete, his ice time would have risen given the injuries on the Avs d at the moment. Bednar has never shied away from giving players, even if they are young, the ice time that they earned.

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
We beat a trash team, the Avs ain't back until they actually beat a good team.
1702925655915.png

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
It’s not that McDavid has no heart to win. I’m sure he wants to win, he just doesn’t do everything it takes to win. Putting up points isn’t everything
In my view the behavior (not doing everything it takes to win), is an expression of not having the heart to win. Or there is a block he needs to get through so his behavior is congruent with his desire.

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
I think you are massively underestimating the difference in level between a 20-21 TOI dman vs a 15 TOI dman. Malinski looking better since his really shaky start, but thinking he is anywhere near replacing Girard on the second d pair is asinine.
As for where Girard plays, he'll continue to play on the Avs 2nd pairing, be it on the right side with Byram or on the left side with some other other dman if Byram were to ever be moved.

If Malinski was actually in any sort of position to make Girard obsolete, his ice time would have risen given the injuries on the Avs d at the moment. Bednar has never shied away from giving players, even if they are young, the ice time that they earned.
Bo and Manson have cemented themselves on the second pairing, and Sammy is not 1st pair material. Big Sam is taking over the 3rd pair RHD, and has shown better than Caleb Jones on the 3rd pair. Where does Sammy G fit with his cap hit?

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
In my view the behavior (not doing everything it takes to win), is an expression of not having the heart to win. Or there is a block he needs to get through so his behavior is congruent with his desire.
Not necessarily. He wants to win but his game or what he thinks he should be doing is scoring as many points as possible. Players like McDavid will always sacrifice defense to score points in bunches. Doing other stuff that takes to win like back checking, shot blocking, being physical etc.. are just not in his DNA

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
We beat a trash team, the Avs ain't back until they actually beat a good team.
When was the last time the Avs beat a good team? Vancouver? I dont even consider Vancouver to be all that good but they are better than the Avs points wise so I guess thats a good team.

Lol. Prepare yourself from now my friend. The Avs are going 3-2-0.

They're losing one game to Arizona, and either the Ottawa or St. Louis game.
They probably lose to Zona and Sens and beat the Blues.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
When was the last time the Avs beat a good team? Vancouver? I dont even consider Vancouver to be all that good but they are better than the Avs points wise so I guess thats a good team.
I am not sure if it needs to be a good team, even if the team lacks a lot of talent, they can make up by having a very good coach that is implementing a lot of structure. Avs have pretty much lost to every well-structured team except DeBoer's Stars.

The only thing going for us is that after Tampa's first Cup win, they looked very average as a regular-season team and turned it up in the playoffs. I am not convinced because they had Vasi and we got, well, McDonald's employees in net. One who strives to be the best Mcdonald's manager and one who knows he's good-looking and gets away with half-arse effort lol.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
The two main issues I see with Byram this season are those:
1. His decision makings: I find he is slower than he is in making decisions. He holds on to the puck a tad too long which allows the defenders to get on him and turnover the puck.

2. His skating: This issue ties in with #1 above. Byram is known for his skating but IMO his skating is overrated. The edges are there but his explosiveness in his first few steps and his straight line speed are overrated. He tends to hold on to the puck too long trying to out skate the forechecker but he doesn't have the explosiveness in his first few steps to get away from a fast forechecker. He then turns over the puck by making a late attempt to get rid of the puck but by then it is too late.

Malinski on the other hand tends to look better at the moment because he gets rid of the puck quicker and therefore appears to be more reliable. Byram has more potential obviously but Malinski makes less mistakes right now because he has quicker decision makings in moving the puck.

Byram's main issue is he has a habit of not moving his feet enough, and he doesn't play at a fast enough pace. Which is somewhat normal for a 22 year old defenseman.

When he does this, and plays on his toes, he's an all world defenseman. When he doesn't, he gets caught reaching with his stick, taking penalties, or losing position.

He's got the wheels to play much faster than he often does. You can see it when they're trying to come back in games and he switches up his style to be more aggressive. He'll back defenders up as much as any D in the league not named Makar.

He's always held onto the puck longer than pretty much everyone, to draw the forechecker to him, and open up time and space for his teammate he's passing to. It's why he was getting hit too much earlier in his career along the boards taking hits to make plays.

They should be trying to get him to play at a high pace, and looking to rush the puck more often, instead of outlet passing all the time. When he plays at a higher pace, he gets into the game mentally, and he plays better offensively, and defensively. When he plays a passive, overly safe defensive game, he gets in trouble, and he becomes a bigger target for hits.

That said, I will continue to emphasize that Bo hasn't played nearly as bad as some think here.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Byram's main issue is he has a habit of not moving his feet enough, and he doesn't play at a fast enough pace. Which is somewhat normal for a 22 year old defenseman.

When he does this, and plays on his toes, he's an all world defenseman. When he doesn't, he gets caught reaching with his stick, taking penalties, or losing position.

He's got the wheels to play much faster than he often does. You can see it when they're trying to come back in games and he switches up his style to be more aggressive. He'll back defenders up as much as any D in the league not named Makar.

He's always held onto the puck longer than pretty much everyone, to draw the forechecker to him, and open up time and space for his teammate he's passing to. It's why he was getting hit too much earlier in his career along the boards taking hits to make plays.

They should be trying to get him to play at a high pace, and looking to rush the puck more often, instead of outlet passing all the time. When he plays at a higher pace, he gets into the game mentally, and he plays better offensively, and defensively. When he plays a passive, overly safe defensive game, he gets in trouble, and he becomes a bigger target for hits.

That said, I will continue to emphasize that Bo hasn't played nearly as bad as some think here.
My comments were regarding when he is moving his feet.

I don't see it...certainly not "much faster".

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
My comments were regarding when he is moving his feet.

I don't see it...certainly not "much faster".

He hasn't really been playing at that pace this year, that migth be why. When he skates, he's putting like 30-40% into each stride, and when he's in the D zone, sometimes even less.

His comfort zone is to slow the pace down, like Forsberg, or other playmakers, because he's a distributor (even though he also likes to be a shooter). He's trying to draw the opposition closer to him, then hit his teammates with a pass to catch them flat footed, and give them more time and space.

Not too dissimilar to Toews actually. As opposed to how Cale or Girard play trying to use their speed to out pace the opposition.

He almost always starts new situations, playing an overly safe game too. He starts every season like this and he starts tournaments like this. He's alluded to it before as well, saying the defensive reads are the last thing for him to come back after a layoff.

It's actually dragged on longer than normal this year, and he's been playing at a slower pace than usual, because he had a slow start, and he's probably worried about making mistakes. It's the same motivation.

He also tends to favor the outlet pass much more than rushing the puck, even though he's good at rushing the puck. But in the games where they're down a couple or few goals, and he's trying to push the play, he plays at a noticeably faster pace, and rushes the puck more often. It's entirely different.

I just wish he would play like that all the time, instead of just when they're trying to come back, because it can be so effective. The way he played trying to win gold at the WJC was phenomenal, and it was because he played on his toes, at a high place the whole game.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
He hasn't really been playing at that pace this year, that migth be why. When he skates, he's putting like 30-40% into each stride, and when he's in the D zone, sometimes even less.

His comfort zone is to slow the pace down, like Forsberg, or other playmakers, because he's a distributor (even though he also likes to be a shooter). He's trying to draw the opposition closer to him, then hit his teammates with a pass to catch them flat footed, and give them more time and space.

Not too dissimilar to Toews actually. As opposed to how Cale or Girard play trying to use their speed to out pace the opposition.

He almost always starts new situations, playing an overly safe game too. He starts every season like this and he starts tournaments like this. He's alluded to it before as well, saying the defensive reads are the last thing for him to come back after a layoff.

It's actually dragged on longer than normal this year, and he's been playing at a slower pace than usual, because he had a slow start, and he's probably worried about making mistakes. It's the same motivation.

He also tends to favor the outlet pass much more than rushing the puck, even though he's good at rushing the puck. But in the games where they're down a couple or few goals, and he's trying to push the play, he plays at a noticeably faster pace, and rushes the puck more often. It's entirely different.

I just wish he would play like that all the time, instead of just when they're trying to come back, because it can be so effective. The way he played trying to win gold at the WJC was phenomenal, and it was because he played on his toes, at a high place the whole game.
I'm fine with him doing that. He is just waiting a bit too long which causes him a lot of troubles.

I still think his skating is a bit overrated. By skating I mean speed. We'll see how he evolves during the season.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
What is this nonsense in here about not beating good teams? Have you really reviewed the schedule or do only the last 5 games count? And it's December for goodness sakes and the Avs are in first in the Central. The nonsense everything is shit projection that goes on in here is just insane. The regular season is a grind and everyone in the organization knows it. No one goes 82-0 for a reason. Reinforcements will come and some guys will play better, others will return from injury.

As some of us seem to remember you don't win a Stanley Cup during the Christmas break.

Reactions: SirLoinOfCloth

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad