GDT: Game 31: Coyotes @ Rangers - 5PM - FSAZ

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Not taking into account contracts, who should they have replaced?

Kempe and Archibald.

Archibald has been force fed minutes and doing some stuff with them but he was terrible early on and was terrible last year.

Reactions: Jakey53

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
According to this extremely in depth scientific analysis (a bar graph)

upload_2018-12-14_14-47-10-png.165141

We should obviously win.

Little touch and go there for about 2 and a half periods but it held true :laugh:

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
That’s the most insane OT I’ve seen in a long time.

Every time I see a 3 on 3, I wonder how more of that can be put into the 5 on 5. The rinks must be to small for the bigger, more skilled player in our world, compared to the players when the game was invented.

Was the original hockey closer to this?

This 3 on 3. It was like it was in slo-mo, but not.

Yeah, insane.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Every time I see a 3 on 3, I wonder how more of that can be put into the 5 on 5. The rinks must be to small for the bigger, more skilled player in our world, compared to the players when the game was invented.

Was the original hockey closer to this?

This 3 on 3. It was like it was in slo-mo, but not.

Yeah, insane.

It'd be really easy. Just get rid of being offside. Make defense possession based and then you won't have a ton of dump & chase or teams stacking five at the blueline. The flow of the OT is largely due to how easy it is to enter the zone.

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
Great comeback win!!!! Stepan with the GWG is the cherry on top

I actually said to my wife, when the score was 3-0, that they were going to come all the way back. Just had this feeling....

Hill has to keep playing, he is unreal. Kept the score from getting out of hand.

Hope this win is the start of something good.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Thought Keller had it wrapped up there in over time. Good to see Step bury that beauty to win it.

Reactions: RABBIT

Name Nameless

Apr 12, 2017
So, what did we learn? Something like this?

1. Hill is still fabulous.
2. Defencemen needs to wind up, and actually hit the net when they shoot.
3. Goligoski is...?
4. Really miss Grabner.
5. RR callups are good. At least Bunting and Garland.
6. ..?

Reactions: CNYCrunchfan1

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I'm really glad to be wrong about Bunting and Garland. They're certainly not established NHL quality players yet, but I thought the best case scenario for both was really good AHL player, terrible NHLer.

Reactions: DoanStopBelievin

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Hey first game we fight we win! That's all I'm saying... Jk haha.

Glad the yotes were able to squeak out that gsne! Weird one and I will take it! Good OT once it got rolling!

Hogan20

Leader of the JJ Moser Fan Club
May 1, 2016
Maine
I think Fischer has figured out Brian Regan's play half game get whole snowcone thing.

Also I'm glad we'll get to see the great Coyotes 6 on 5 game again.
I don't think anyone got that. Grape is favorite, but cherries good too

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
It was nice to finally hear McConnell and nash start complaining about the player not shooting the puck. You could actually hear the frustration in their voices.

It is frustrating, but is it true. Below is an update of the shot stat chart.

For comparison sake I also worked up averages for the Coyotes and compared them to the best team in the league, the Tampa Bay Lightening.

The Coyotes average 3.3 shot attempts per player each game, and 1.7 of those reach the net.

The Lightning also average 3.3 shot attempts per player each game, but 1.8 reach the net, almost two more SOG per game than the Yotes.

TB leads the league averaging 4 goals per game, while we are stuck at 2.58. Obviously, an average TB SOG is not equal to an average Coyote SOG.

So is the "not shooting the puck enough" criticism fair? Maybe we just need more skilled shooters. :dunno:

NZYlVKi.png

Note: To make this chart fair to the players I should adjust for minutes played. You could also adjust for special team minutes, but now we are talking real work. :eyeroll:

Last edited:

Name Nameless

Apr 12, 2017
It is frustrating, but is it true. Below is an update of the shot stat chart.

For comparison sake I also worked up averages for the Coyotes and compared them to the best team in the league, the Tampa Bay Lightening.

The Coyotes average 3.3 shot attempts per player each game, and 1.7 of those reach the net.

The Lightning also average 3.3 shot attempts per player each game, but 1.8 reach the net, almost two more SOG per game than the Yotes.

TB leads the league averaging 4 goals per game, while we are stuck at 2.58. Obviously, an average TB SOG is not equal to an average Coyote SOG.

So is the "not shooting the puck enough" criticism fair? Maybe we just need more skilled shooters. :dunno:

NZYlVKi.png

Note: To make this chart fair to the players I should adjust for minutes played. You could also adjust for special team minutes, but now we are talking real work. :eyeroll:

Sorry for stupid question, but is this per 60 minutes played for each player?

And yeah, Garland got great numbers :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad