GDT: Game 31: Columbus vs. NY Islanders | 12/12 7PM EST

Cash for Nash

May 13, 2012
Just got home.. not a terrible time but certainly disappointing..

Call me crazy but the review was entirely too long - and I didn't see enough evidence to overturn. Just too close, especially when it was ruled a goal on the ice.

Regardless, no excuse for OT lapse.

At this point I'm expecting the franchise to move to Cleveland. Half kidding

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Wonder why no one ever brings this up. He certainly put Howson in a good position. Wasn't there a rumor that the league suggest we bring him on?

I believe it was strongly encouraged by the league, yes. Sorta like what the NBA just did for the 76ers.

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
The atmosphere in the arena...yikes

:shakehead

I'm surprised as many people come to these games as they do. Fifteen years of pretty much dysfunctional bottom feeder hockey and most nights the arena is at least 3/4 filled. I can't think of too many American cities that would have that many fans in attendance if they had to watch what we've had to watch over that time.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Tired of this nonsense comparing Monsters crowds with CBJ crowds. That is comparing Apples to Oranges. The only similarity is it is the same sport. From costs on down everything else is different. I realize that Dan Gilbert makes it as professional an atmosphere as possible, but there is still a big difference. Not to mention that the Monsters are doing well, while we have the same old Jackets.

I have said it before, there were nights the Clippers outdrew, or came close to outdrawing the Indians, but I doubt anyone fears the Tribe will be moved to Columbus. Cleveland is also a three major pro sports team town. Adding a fourth with major league pricing puts even more pressure on that market, and one team or all would suffer. The Monsters are exactly what that market needs. A good hockey league, with affordable pricing that doesn't force them to have to pick and choose more carefully where they are spending bigger money for sports entertainment.

Everyone, including Portzline knows that this town would fill that arena if this franchise would ever get it's head out of it's ass. People are tired of being told how great things will be only to have their expectations crash and burn. The CBJ would be struggling in any market after 15 years of suckage, especially if that market was Cleveland.

As for the game, CBJ were helter skelter in the first, strong in the second, and sort of in between in the third. They are not a good OT team. Thought they played hard defensively, though. If they ever get their scorers going we will see better hockey. Forget the play-offs, though. That aint happening this season.

JacketFanInFL

Brick by Brick
Mar 27, 2006
Central FL
I'm surprised as many people come to these games as they do. Fifteen years of pretty much dysfunctional bottom feeder hockey and most nights the arena is at least 3/4 filled. I can't think of too many American cities that would have that many fans in attendance if they had to watch what we've had to watch over that time.

Ohioans unlike any other are gluttons for terrible sports. Look at Cleveland, they still somehow put butts in seats in a,l their sports.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
His record is 11-10-3. After an 0-7 start with XHCTR. I think he is making progress. I think you are wrong.

The record under him is better, but historically that's generally true any time a coaching change has happened, and there's not yet enough data to distinguish between those two possibilities. And given my own ambivalence towards his hiring, I'm personally not prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt w/r/t credit for a turnaround. Not yet, anyways.

Speedy Sanderson

Jan 29, 2012
I've noticed a fairly distinct difference in the Jackets before and after Torts' arrival. They are doing a much better job in the defensive zone taking away shooting lanes and they've drastically cut down on odd-man rushes against. The offense is still pretty bad, but that's not going to change until Jarmo gets some d-men that can play in the offensive zone or at least get the puck through to the net.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
If you like professional sports, who else can you follow in Columbus? Soccer is growing but I don't think it will have the following that the NFL/NBA/NHL/MLB have

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad