GDT: Game 31: Avs @ Blues | December 13, 2015 | 4 PM MT | Emergency Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Varly gave up 5 goals in 35 minutes one game. 50 minutes is too small of a sample size.

Varly has also played like crap for the majority of the season.

Out of the last 5 games that Picks has played with the Avs... only 1 has been good (it was great). It doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things, but he has a long ways to go before he can be a starting goalie in the league. It is one thing to look good for 10-12 games out of 16... totally different thing to do that 55 out of 65-70 games.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Much as I believe and maintain that goaltending is horribly, horribly overvalued by NHL teams, I don't think for an instant that trading Varlamov is a good idea. First, the return won't be ideal at all. Second, moving Varly would essentially mean you can't build around him, which is absurd.

The upside would be the Avs Twitter feed would at least stop trying to make #VarlyVarly a thing.

But VarlyVarly is a thing. People chant it at games. Hell, they even chanted it as he came down the red carpet. It's not like they invented it.

Yes, Iggy had some jump. Now of only he could give that to Tangs we'd be ok.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Iggy definitely looked faster cgf.

Glad my eyes were not deceiving me. It could be interesting if that's something that holds up and it turns out that he's finally shaken off the early season rust, or whatever other diplomatic phrasing for getting-his-****-together you prefer. With a little more pep in his step Iggy could bump the 2 out of every 10 puck battles that he wins to 3 or maybe even 4 out of 10. If his shot got hot again to boot, then we might be able to get some nice production out of that third line in a sheltered/offensive role while the top 6 did the heavy lifting.

Plus we could platoon Tangs and Greg on the left side of that line to try and preserve whatever Tanguay has left, while also having a spot for Misha to play with some better talent whenever he convinces Roy to promote him again, if he doesn't go straight back up to the MacKinnon line. We could scratch Tanguay here and there for "maintenance purposes" while vacillating between

Tanguay - RealMalkin - Iginla
McCleod - Grigorenko - Skille

&

Grigorenko - RealMalkin - Iginla
Cody - Skille/Wagner - Tanguay

and watching his minutes very carefully on the nights that he does play.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Glad my eyes were not deceiving me. It could be interesting if that's something that holds up and it turns out that he's finally shaken off the early season rust, or whatever other diplomatic phrasing for getting-his-****-together you prefer.

Or maybe the head coach FINALLY realized something Iginla's previous coach already knew--that he's no longer a top line player capable of big minutes, and hasn't been for at least 2-3 years. I'm still looking at stats for comparison but it wouldn't be any surprise at all if he showed some more jump after being limited in terms of ice time and matchups.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
a. No one said Pickard was a starter. He has starting potential, though.

b. The Avs didn't spend a decade looking to replace Roy. The four years of turmoil were '05-'06 through '08-'09.

c. No, I'm not insane.

Starting potential means nothing. Martin has starting potential but you won't see anyone asking for Varly being traded because of Martin.

Avs haven't have a long term starter since 2003. Varly became that in 2013.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Or maybe the head coach FINALLY realized something Iginla's previous coach already knew--that he's no longer a top line player capable of big minutes, and hasn't been for at least 2-3 years. I'm still looking at stats for comparison but it wouldn't be any surprise at all if he showed some more jump after being limited in terms of ice time and matchups.

I'm almost 100% certain that Iginla played with David Krejci and Milan Lucic on the Bruins. Claude Julien didn't realize anything about Iginla needing limited minutes

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Pickard hasn't been exposed upon hitting NHL ice, and he's been excellent in the AHL.

He hasn't and I wasn't claiming he has in anyway but to trade a bonfire star goalie in the hopes you have something that can replace him is not smart.

Back to this thread - the Blues have a carousel in net, but are significantly better than Colorado. Have they won a cup yet? No. Could they this season? Of course.

They could in the same sense the avs can make the playoffs in theory they can but it won't happen with that goaltending

Dallas has a carousel in net. As do the Red Wings. As do the Islanders.

The better goalie won last night, but the better team will usually win out.
Usually the better goalie wins the playoff series. Which is the only thing that matters.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Pietrangelo is a pine tree moving at 40km/hr. He tends to get levelled a lot.

Trinstin

Oct 30, 2009
Denver, CO
We spent a decade...a DECADE looking for the answer in net since Roy retired and now that we have the answer we want to trade him away? ARE YOU INSANE?

I remember those years. Abby, Theodore, Sauve, Budaj, Anderson... Anderson was actually really good but we all know how that one went. Yeah trading Varlamov before finding someone who can fill his shoes would be something I doubt Roy would do.

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
Can we all stop with the trading Varly talk? this exactly sounds like the Duchene talks a few weeks back. Unlike Duchene in October he's playing out of his mind as well. Can't believe all these posts about suggesting to trade varly. Does he need to get like 3 shutouts in a row to satisfy people here?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I wouldn't characterize it as "he sucks, trade him!" knee jerk crap. More as if the Avs feel like they have to shuffle the core at some point the reality is something unpleasant might have to happen. There's the horrifying and then the well if there is logic behind making this sort of move. But no, the Avs should not be in a position for life without Varly for at least a couple years.

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
I remember those years. Abby, Theodore, Sauve, Budaj, Anderson... Anderson was actually really good but we all know how that one went. Yeah trading Varlamov before finding someone who can fill his shoes would be something I doubt Roy would do.

Seriously we made the playoffs on the back of Theadore no? lost to Detroitski due to him having flu? There is always a team aspect to winning and yes.. we should keep Varly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad