GDT: Game 31: Avs @ Blues | December 13, 2015 | 4 PM MT | Emergency Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I know +/- is pretty much stupid but I think the extreme ends are interesting. Without looking, any idea who is our highest and lowest? I'll give a hint that two are tied for the highest.

Iginla is our worst and I know Grigorenko is our highest, but the player he's tied with I'm not sure of... he's played all over the place too so I have no clue. Beauchemin?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Iginla is our worst and I know Grigorenko is our highest, but the player he's tied with I'm not sure of... he's played all over the place too so I have no clue. Beauchemin?

McLeod but good job, you must have recently looked. MacK was up there for a while

When Iggy hits his 25+ goals it will be "it's a shame he's stuck in Colorado, he tried to do what he could for them"

Oh and fun fact Grigo has more points than Stastny. I know he was out for a bit so it's not entirely fair but it's not like he's played 5 games either.

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015
I don't doubt he'll find his way to 25 goals this season like he always does. Then the mainstream media will gush about him "Oh my goodness Jarome does it again, the ageless wonder hitting 25/30 goals on the season looking like a good fit in Colorado" when we all know he's absolutely brutal here.

The thing that sucks is he doesn't need a switch to get all those goals. Imagine if he played like he actually cared.

I think Iginla DOES care....about scoring more goals to bolster his HOF credentials. I don't think he's overly motivated to do the grunt work nescessary to help the team overall however. Maybe if the Avs were legit Cup contenders it's possible he might consistently play harder, but on a rebuilding team like the Avs he's gonna coast as much as he can get away with.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
McLeod but good job, you must have recently looked. MacK was up there for a while

When Iggy hits his 25+ goals it will be "it's a shame he's stuck in Colorado, he tried to do what he could for them"

Oh and fun fact Grigo has more points than Stastny. I know he was out for a bit so it's not entirely fair but it's not like he's played 5 games either.

I keep track of this stuff on my own when I watch the games so I had a rough idea of who it was, I was 100% certain Iginla was our worst though for a while it was Soderberg.

I think Iginla DOES care....about scoring more goals to bolster his HOF credentials. I don't think he's overly motivated to do the grunt work nescessary to help the team overall however. Maybe if the Avs were legit Cup contenders it's possible he might consistently play harder, but on a rebuilding team like the Avs he's gonna coast as much as he can get away with.

I don't think Iginla is the type of player who puts individual statistics above the team winning. I just don't think he wants to play very hard anymore. In a way, I don't blame him. He spent a good 15 years being arguably the best power forward in the league and a one-man show in Calgary, that takes a toll on your body eventually. On the other hand, he signed the contract. He wanted the long-term deal, he got 3 years from us. He also wanted to be paid quite well, and he got nearly 6M from us. Him coasting should be unacceptable but Roy has too much respect for Iggy to bench him, though I'm also starting to question that given he took him off the 1st unit PP and has lessened his minutes recently.

I don't even think Iginla would be any different if the playoffs started tomorrow and we were in them. I just think he's lost a little bit of passion for the game and hence, the lackluster effort.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
So to all the people who wanted to trade Varly a month ago and let Pickard become the #1 guy, you still sure that would be a good idea? I'm so glad that many of you are not the GM of the Avs or we'd traded Varly 15 times by now and been screwed.

This is exactly why you don't make rash decisions about elite level players. Varly is straight up one of the best in the business, and is showing all of us why. He has the ability to bail out teams when they play poorly, like we did tonight. We had no business winning this game, but because Varly went all world we walk out of St Louis with a totally undeserved win.

As for my thoughts about tonight:

-Why can't this team play well with a lead? We go out and play a solid first period, only get out shot by 2 but we made our scoring chances count and lead by 2. But overall it was a solid period for us as we only allow 8 shots against. Then we give up 17 shots in the 2nd and 18 in the 3rd. Why can't we just continue the same type play that we were able to produce in the 1st period? I get the team that is losing is going to make a strong push, but that is when you just have to step up your play too. I think this is concept that is lost on our players. We have to get better at accepting there is going to be a push and elevating our game to match our opponents at that point in time so that we don't just get bombarded.

-Tanguay and Iginla, man do they just look beyond bad. Tanguay can't move anymore, thank god he still has some hands or it would be really ugly. Iginla also just looks old. Has some energy sometimes, but often times he just looks like the game has passed him by.

-Holden deserves credit, he has taken a lot of flack on here. But the guy has played very well for us this year, and has shown that he is capable of playing in the top 6 on a nightly basis.

-Still not big on Martinsen, thought he was pretty meh tonight. Realistically he is a 4th line winger that should be playing no more than 5 minutes a night, but Roy keeps putting him in a role that is too big for him.

-Grigorenko continues to produce in very limited action. If he ever gets an extended chance with some offensive guys his game could take off

-It's time for the MacK line to disband, it's not clicking anymore and I think we need to spread out the lines to get some more depth to our scoring, it's getting too easy for other teams to just roll their top d-pairing out against them

I'd like to see these combos next game:

Grigorenko-MacK-Duchene
Landy-Soderberg-Iginla
Tanguay-Mitchell-Comeau
McCleod-Skille-Martinsen/Wagner

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
Although the production of the top line has faltered (especially mackinnon) they still have several shifts a night where they absolutely dominate in the offensive zone and generate tons of chances. Let em be. The last thing I want to see is dutchy getting the dutchy treatment again. He deserves the best line mates this team has to offer. If he gets stuck with iggy again I might lose it

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I don't know if you can take Malkin off the old guy line yet. They have actually contributed and seem to need him to do all the skating and crashing. Just limit them to 10-13 minutes and give the extra minutes to the 4th line if they are playing well.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Anyone have a gif of Mackinnon steamrolling Pietro?

bike-crash-test-o.gif

Quality is a bit poor, but MacK is on the left

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
It's a win win. Either we're gaining ground in the Central, or Winnipeg just sucks.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I'll play lineup wizard, this is what I would do

Landy-Soderberg-Duchene
Grigo-MacK-Tanguay
Comeau-Mitchell-Iginla
McLeod-Martinsen-Wagner-Skille

Keep Duchene on the wing for now, that line can still play heavy minutes. MacK gets a little bit easier matchups and he can carry that line, Grigo and tangs will feed him all day. Comeau and Mitchell can try to drag Iggy around. Play whoever on the 4th line.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Did anyone else watched the game with the Blues feed? Hitchcock talking about how they knew they would get a lot of scoring chances against us?

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
So to all the people who wanted to trade Varly a month ago and let Pickard become the #1 guy, you still sure that would be a good idea? I'm so glad that many of you are not the GM of the Avs or we'd traded Varly 15 times by now and been screwed.

This is exactly why you don't make rash decisions about elite level players. Varly is straight up one of the best in the business, and is showing all of us why. He has the ability to bail out teams when they play poorly, like we did tonight. We had no business winning this game, but because Varly went all world we walk out of St Louis with a totally undeserved win.

Even with Berra and now Varlamov playing well this season, Colorado is 4 points out of 30th place. And the clubs behind them have games in hand.

I would say they are pretty screwed.

I can only speak for myself but my feelings haven't changed. Colorado probably won't trade him, but I think it's worth exploring if the nose dive continues and the value is there.

A team like Edmonton has nothing going on in net. If the Avs finish in the bottom five, I think they'd be positioning themselves better long term if they have two top-10 picks in the upcoming draft.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
It isn't just the offensive zone either. In the defensive zone he's very good, on breakouts he always seems to be in the right place or makes the correct pass with ease, tape-to-tape. And he's very adept at carrying the puck into the zone from the neutral zone with a change of pace to throw defenders off.

Thank god we have him on our team. In terms of pure centermen he's the best we've got. MacK and Dutchy both excel at a lot of things on the ice but in terms of overall, 200 foot play Soderberg is a blessing for this team.

If he was a 53/54% face-off guy he'd be one of the most talked about centres in the league.

Hes excellent in all three zones. I thought he was our best forward last night. I really do wish he was better on the dots though. Thats still something you can improve on. He should go ask Adam Oates for some help in the dots.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Did anyone else watched the game with the Blues feed? Hitchcock talking about how they knew they would get a lot of scoring chances against us?

A stat popped up at the end of the third stating the Blues had something like 75 shots directed at the next (includes blocks and misses). The Avalanche were in the low 30's.

Colorado simply doesn't play a possession game. They didn't under Sacco and don't under Roy. That's an indictment of both the talent level and coaching.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

Yah I was laughing because its true. For the most part the guys did a good job of getting in the shooting paths and clearing the front of the net well except on the goal where everyone looked lost and confused. Its a simple game plan for teams. Dump the puck into Guenin's corner, forecheck a little, get the puck from Guenin, cycle for 20 seconds, shoot the puck, go for the rebound.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
A stat popped up at the end of the third stating the Blues had something like 75 shots directed at the next (includes blocks and misses). The Avalanche were in the low 30's.

Colorado simply doesn't play a possession game. They didn't under Sacco and don't under Roy. That's an indictment of both the talent level and coaching.

Exactly what i think.

A better coach could probably hide some of our rosters limitations, but that D is still awful after all these years.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Even with Berra and now Varlamov playing well this season, Colorado is 4 points out of 30th place. And the clubs behind them have games in hand.

I would say they are pretty screwed.

I can only speak for myself but my feelings haven't changed. Colorado probably won't trade him, but I think it's worth exploring if the nose dive continues and the value is there.

A team like Edmonton has nothing going on in net. If the Avs finish in the bottom five, I think they'd be positioning themselves better long term if they have two top-10 picks in the upcoming draft.

So are 10 other teams. The standings can be spun any way you want to. No things aren't great but literally a third of the league is in the exact same position. There is just no separation at all.

I don't consider Varly absolutely untouchable but a damn lot more than a draft pick better be coming back.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

I would say both have been pretty inconsistent. Varly is FINALLY playing well, but for his first 10-15 games he ranged from below average to very bad. Berra has had stretches very good and very back play.

At the same point of the Avs being 4 points out of 30th place... they are also 6 points out of the playoffs (sadly only 1 point back of being in the playoffs in the Pacific). While dropping a couple games that shouldn't have been dropped (season opener vs Wild and Pens).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad