Post-Game Talk: Game # 30 Rangers @ Capitals 03/20/2021 - 7pm EST - MSG

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
It's not a secret. If our PP can produce like we know it can and our goalies aren't playing like Georgiev has... we can make a run.

We just hung with the best team in the league in 2 playoff style games. These games had meaning and it's great experience for all players even if they had limited minutes.

What I don't get is why they are not letting them fail... Isn't that the point? Let them fail now so they can grow and learn? 'develop the kids' and 'ride the vets' are two completely different mindsets.... where are we right now?

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Kakko had a great chance in front and he tried to triple deke. He has to just tap that in as soon as it hits his stick.

He wanted to shoot from the right but saw a defenseman coming from this side and changed his mind. At this time while the puck was on his right he should have just passed “west” to his left to oncoming Chytil (I think) but instead decided to pull it left for himself and that tiny bit of time lost resulted in wasted opportunity. He will learn to pull the trigger just a moment earlier and points will start coming.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
pretty sure that was coming out of the box ... double shifted Kakko the rest of the game
I saw that. But I thought he came right out for a regular shift after. I was thinking ‘glad he’s not in the doghouse’. Maybe I’m mis-remembering. Anyhow I certainly hope he doesn’t get benched. We need as much energy and sandpaper as possible.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
It's not a secret. If our PP can produce like we know it can and our goalies aren't playing like Georgiev has... we can make a run.

We just hung with the best team in the league in 2 playoff style games. These games had meaning and it's great experience for all players even if they had limited minutes.

What I don't get is why they are not letting them fail... Isn't that the point? Let them fail now so they can grow and learn? 'develop the kids' and 'ride the vets' are two completely different mindsets.... where are we right now?
Yeah. Seems the FO and coaching staff is trying to walk a tightrope. Get the kids experience while still being in contention.
Which I understand.
As fans were a bit more extreme, right? We are either ‘play the kids!!!!’ Or we’re like ‘win at all costs’.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
So glad this game has one goal with Tommy Boy laying on his face while his man scores and the other features that tool bag fake tough guy Dillon getting pushed over like a clown and costing his team the game. Screw both those guys.
Dillon is that indeed...at least Wilson can play when he’s not trying to ruin careers. Dillon is mistake-prone and cranky. Glad we didn’t sign him. I remember he was a topic of conversation here for a minute.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Hajek is great at making the 1st pass. We need that
I’m pleasantly surprised with Hajek. I think he has won a spot for the foreseeable. He and Smith are a fine third pairing, in my book.
Thought I miss ADA, having a Smith-Hajek third pairing might be better overall.

Reactions: kovazub94

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Put Gauthier in against Buffalo. Kid needs a chance to play; I’d sit Lemieux or Howden.

Kreider-Zibanejad-Buchnevich
Panarin-Strome-Kakko
Lafreniere-Chytil-Gauthier
Rooney-Howden-Blackwell

If Kakko cannot start scoring while playing with a guy like Panarin then there’s nothing else the team can do to get him to score.
I’d sit Blackwell and keep Lemieux. I know Blackwell has been solid but I really like what Lemieux brings. It’s almost a loyalty play for me. If I’m the coach, I’ll take the mistakes in exchange for the guy going through a wall for me when the going gets tough.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Thanks Zib

so Lemieux will be benched won’t he . Short leash
This Rangers team doesn't tolerate penalties in the offensive zone. Been like that all season. Lemieux crosschecking an opponent behind the net in the O zone is uncalled for, especially in a tight game. He deserved to sit.

It's just a lesson learned. He'll be back next game, he's playing well.

Hell, Zibad got bench like 4 or 5 games ago, don't read too much into it. It's just a message sent to the players. And look what Mika is doing now!

Last edited:

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Shayna's chart pretty much fit my eyes tonight. Kakko was our best forward start to finish. Frankly, Chytil and Laf have been a drag on him since that line was constructed.

I didn't think we 'deserved' to lose that game at all, Samsonov made at least three phenomenal saves in the first two periods. Sure goals that he stole. Kinkaid played well, but never had to make a save comparable to several Samsonov made. Caps ramped it up in the 3rd, but we could've easily entered that period 3-0.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
I don’t know why hajek got benched he’s been very solid

we’ll pass the flyers if this is the Mika we’re getting the rest of the way and Shesterkin comes back. It’ll be pretty much impossible to catch the bruins I just hope the last 10 to 15 games our coaches turn to the kids to get ready for next year.

Playing pp1 for 2 mins at a time is ridiculous

Creating a kid line so you don’t have to play them is really ridiculous

oh and creating a kid line then being surprised that a 19 20 and 21 year old might struggle together so you can justify not playing them is even more ridiculous
I actually like the kids together. All in the fox hole together, learning to trust one another. After all this is what the Rangers of the future is gonna look like. They got enough role models on this team to look up to. It's better they grow together and form a unit. They have the skill and talent, they just need to mature and focus on the play directly in front of them. I don't think sticking them with veterans is gonna help them in those areas. They need to figure that out on their own.

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008
I'm just hoping kakko can improve his offensive game next off-season the way he has improved his defensive game this past off-season. He has become such an amazing player without the puck. We just need barb underhill to work her magic on his skating. Kakko has a chance at becoming an absolute 200ft all situations monster.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
Play the kids.

Give them a chance to play their game.

Make it so they don't fear being benched if they don't play like Brett 'wunderkind' Howden.

It's not rocket science.

This coaching staff/FO are difficult to live with.

Reactions: Tob

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Does Mika look like Daron Malakian of System of the Down to anyone else?

DaronMalakian-GregWatermann-2019.jpg
I see it. Like Daron with normal sized eyes.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Shayna's chart pretty much fit my eyes tonight. Kakko was our best forward start to finish. Frankly, Chytil and Laf have been a drag on him since that line was constructed...

Disagree about Chytil in general and last night’s game specifically. The Czech was good. If anything Kakko (and Lafreniere) caused Chytil not getting on a scoresheet last night.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Kakko still can't finish for his life but at least he's getting involved. Laf has been a joke since that short hot streak ended. Kakko should replace Blackwell, he can do the grinding Blackwell does and maybe he'll pick up some cheapo points.
Agreed, and I will tell you why. Blackwell misses many opportunities and kills the great set up or loses the puck.
He's great at getting the puck and battling, but Kakko seems even better. So yeah, I am with you. I guarantee he gets on the scoreboard (even cheapos) its going to mean soooo much to the "kid", that his confidence will get to another level.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
1. ZIb
2. Kinkaid
3. Fox

4. Kakko - He didn't score but was really effective. Needs to be out there to help defend close games.
As soon as we lose Howden, Kakko will be a great 4th liner. Back checks very well, and relentless. Howden is better with empty netters though. Has time to improve. :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Liked the in game coaching
That Zib goal was brutal
Howden scoring puts me on Rapture watch
3 very nice games completed in 4 nights.
THis will be a MONSTER team when the dust settles
Wait and watch
And most of all, try and enjoy the ride. Its really becoming unbearable here, with all the negativity.
Didn't we all "expect", a little roller coaster season? We're (mostly all) are all acting like we're bi-polar.

Disclaimer; if Kakko and Laf were resembling anything like we thought they would produce, we would really be in the thick of things, regardless the unforeseen disappearance from Zibby.

Reactions: egelband and ohbaby

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Now that Howden has passed Kakko in points, only Hajek remains less of an offensive force than him.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
This win along with the high probability that I will never have to see JJ in a Rangers sweater makes it a good day.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
We got outplayed but we're owed one. More than one, actually.

I like a lot of what I see. We're learning how to play with structure. Then we'll take the reigns off.

We're following the Torts to AV arc where we play tight and then drop the bass when the time is right. Except this time we'll have more natural talent.
Seems that way, just hope that doesn't mean we only have a 1-2 year window. Roller coaster, like I said.

Remember your 1st roller coaster ride? You wanted it so badly, yet were scared/anxious. Weren't sure if you would throw up or not. Even scared that the cars would fall off the tracks.
But still, you took the chance and wanted it seen through.

Thing is, we don't know where this roller coaster will take us this year, and it's killing those that are not bothering to enjoy the great wins, and not accepting the tough losses.
I look at it this way.......we are NOT getting blown out 9-0.
And thats a good thing.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I might be in the minority but I like the idea of the kids on one line, they can grow together and its possible that this is our first line in 2 or 3 years, they may as well build some chemistry together. I found they were each defering to the vets too much anyway so maybe this way they just play their game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad