Post-Game Talk: Game # 30 Rangers @ Capitals 03/20/2021 - 7pm EST - MSG

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
I’m pleasantly surprised with Hajek. I think he has won a spot for the foreseeable. He and Smith are a fine third pairing, in my book.
Thought I miss ADA, having a Smith-Hajek third pairing might be better overall.
On defense yes....on offense and especially the PP....not even close . Hopefully Miller eventually will pick up some of the offensive rushes and PP shots and scoring chances . Fox does not think the PP fast enough and has no shot or does not want the shot .

Reactions: Cmox

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods
If someone came to you at the start of the season and said “ I know the Rangers future” and told you all the things that happened this season and also said “by mid season Kinkaid is leading in GAA and Buch is points leader” you’d laugh them out of existence but I think stats part would be most unbelievable.

Don’t look now...

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
On defense yes....on offense and especially the PP....not even close . Hopefully Miller eventually will pick up some of the offensive rushes and PP shots and scoring chances . Fox does not think the PP fast enough and has no shot or does not want the shot .
Ooof, that's an awful take.

Reactions: Miamipuck

LetsGoRangers2021

Jan 25, 2021
I'm absolutely dumbfounded how you sit a 6'4 225lb fast goal scorer.

I don't care if he accidently high sticks someone. What he has can't be taught, get him back on the ice.

Three times. And singlehandedly lost them the game. How would you feel if you were on the team and someone did that? He deserves to sit for a few.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I’m pleasantly surprised with Hajek. I think he has won a spot for the foreseeable. He and Smith are a fine third pairing, in my book.
Thought I miss ADA, having a Smith-Hajek third pairing might be better overall.

it is when you are absolutely riding these top 2 pairs as we should.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I might be in the minority but I like the idea of the kids on one line, they can grow together and its possible that this is our first line in 2 or 3 years, they may as well build some chemistry together. I found they were each defering to the vets too much anyway so maybe this way they just play their game.

It’s not that I don’t like the kid line. I do. My issue is with putting them together because you don’t have a development plan and don’t want them playing in a bigger spot.

Then taking mins away when they of course struggle at times.

if you are saying we like them together ok fine but then live with their warts and play them real mins. Don’t put them together so you have an excuse to bury them

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods
You know what’s sorta sad. JMFJ is finished for the season, most likely with the Rangers too and there’s barely a peep about it. It was like he was never here. I wonder if retirement is on the horizon?

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Ooof, that's an awful take.
How so ? He is not DeAngelo when it comes to dishing off the puck much quicker and he absolutely refuses to shoot the puck . Yes I know he is great at the rest....but those two things are what DeAngelo was absolutely better at . I don't see where it could be a bad take....more like the correct take . We'll see how the PP performs now the rest of the season with a healthy Zibs and Panarin back and whether our numbers increase with Fox as PP QB versus Tony last season....I'm sure there will be a stat line on that .

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
How so ? He is not DeAngelo when it comes to dishing off the puck much quicker and he absolutely refuses to shoot the puck . Yes I know he is great at the rest....but those two things are what DeAngelo was absolutely better at . I don't see where it could be a bad take....more like the correct take . We'll see how the PP performs now the rest of the season with a healthy Zibs and Panarin back and whether our numbers increase with Fox as PP QB versus Tony last season....I'm sure there will be a stat line on that .

Let it go, AHL teams don't want him, its over.

Reactions: LetsGoRangers2021

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
It’s not that I don’t like the kid line. I do. My issue is with putting them together because you don’t have a development plan and don’t want them playing in a bigger spot.

if you are saying we like them together ok fine but then live with their warts and play them real mins. Don’t put them together so you have an excuse to bury them

We are in a murky situation where they are trying to win now and get a playoff spot and as well build for the future. I think it has less to do with teaching them a lesson or burying them than it does with trying to win the game at hand and mixing them into lines only muddies the other lines at this point. I think when we play buffalo, NJ, and especially in home games etc they will get their mins, games vs boston or Washington will be leaned on the vets especially on the road, Washington was trying to match the ovie line against them all night last night, its basically why their mins dropped.

Reactions: ohbaby and will1066

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods
If they were offensive zone hooking, lazy trips or slashes I wouldn't have as much a problem. He was battling and the stick came up accidentally, these things do happen.
And the first penalty was complete video review horseshit and Giroux acting like he got his eye taken out only helped the dumbness of it all. If you can act injured and get video reviews for missed calls then the Rangers have been missing out. Last night alone I saw a handful penalties not called. It happens constantly. The reffing was atrocious last night and in that OT loss game. Voracek should’ve been tossed that game but of course he goes on to score the game winner in ot.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
We are in a murky situation where they are trying to win now and get a playoff spot and as well build for the future. I think it has less to do with teaching them a lesson or burying them than it does with trying to win the game at hand and mixing them into lines only muddies the other lines at this point. I think when we play buffalo, NJ, and especially in home games etc they will get their mins, games vs boston or Washington will be leaned on the vets especially on the road, Washington was trying to match the ovie line against them all night last night, its basically why their mins dropped.
My thoughts too. Not a textbook rebuild. Hybrid rebuild on the fly. They are being broken in slowly.

Reactions: egelband

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
If they were offensive zone hooking, lazy trips or slashes I wouldn't have as much a problem. He was battling and the stick came up accidentally, these things do happen.
He's a victim of the numbers game to me, like PDG. Unless we have more Covid absences or injuries, there's more players than spots.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
They happened twice in one game though.

He’ll make it back into the lineup soon I’m sure. But ultimately, I think he’s an asset they’re going to trade. He looks good on paper and drives to the net, but doesn’t have much playmaking ability.

I’d like them to keep him. But I just have a feeling they won’t.

Sayba

Dark Schneider
Jul 7, 2009
They happened twice in one game though.

He’ll make it back into the lineup soon I’m sure. But ultimately, I think he’s an asset they’re going to trade. He looks good on paper and drives to the net, but doesn’t have much playmaking ability.

I’d like them to keep him. But I just have a feeling they won’t.

I see Alex Tuch potential (not saying he will be that but a version of), we have a team full of playmakers, we need some size, speed and scoring to go along with it.

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly
I might be in the minority but I like the idea of the kids on one line, they can grow together and its possible that this is our first line in 2 or 3 years, they may as well build some chemistry together. I found they were each defering to the vets too much anyway so maybe this way they just play their game.

I think the kid line just needs a few more games. Up to this point, they had looked like three players playing next to each other. Last night, they started showing signs of coming together as a line. Hopefully, it’s a turning point for them as a unit.

Reactions: LetsGoRangers2021

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly

I agree with the general idea of what you are saying. However, I think that after a demoralizing loss in the previous game, the coaching staff wanted to lock this one down as much as possible, so they shortened the bench significantly.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Let it go, AHL teams don't want him, its over.
No...you should let it go . Your reply only serves to incite and for no other purpose . My reply was hockey/Ranger/DeAngelo related . Some of us actually can still talk about his good and bad points as a Ranger without knocking him at every opportunity when his name is mentioned . Maybe you should just skip any reply where his name is mentioned ...most of us know he is gone and we also know of the Cup win in 94 but we still discuss it .

Reactions: Larrybiv

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Aside from the way the Chytil line was handled and the Howden fest, I'm very, very, very pleased with the way this team played in Washington as a whole.

I said before the series that every time this team looked like they were about to turn a corner this year they fell flat, this time they didn't. Now of course it means nothing if they lose to Buffalo tomorrow but at least it looks like there is some light at the end of the tunnel even if the playoffs are a pipe dream at this point.

Just close out the season as strong as you can and let this be a stepping stone towards next year where hopefully there will be some semblance of normalcy and a stronger group to make a significant push.

They really need to get this PP figured out though. Shuffle shit around until you find something that works because it can't get a lot worse than its been.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad