GDT: Game 30: Columbus at Detroit | 12/16 7:30PM EST

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
It's based on shoot outs being a skill event non game action... Howard does not get a loss nor a win but he does get a shutout as if the game ended in a 0-0 tie as in the old (pre shootout) days, but Bob does get a win and a shutout... Someone must be a winning goalie if the team gets a win.....

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I'd really like to see the assumptions of the model of the often quoted
"chances of making the playoffs" site. The Jackets still face an uphill battle, but it's almost inconceivable that the team realistically stood only a 1% chance of making the playoffs given the length left in the season and the number of injured players that they were certain to get back.

That site is probably like a lot of political and sports prognosticators. No one ever goes back and actually checks their predictions for accuracy.

7 in a row with significant pieces of the team still missing and the man-games of the goal-less bottom sixers approaching 130. Not bad.

Jackets Fan

Mar 28, 2014
Central Ohio
Oh no, this team can't make a run like last season. McEichel here we come :sarcasm:

In all seriousness, what a hell of a game. To be honest, I was worried about this one. Throughout the whole game, I was on edge. It felt like the Wings were some way, somehow going to find a way to get a goal with how aggressive they were when they were pressuring the CBJ, and it was also frustrating with how they smothered us, not allowing to muster many chances.
But this team showed resiliency again. I was worried in the shootout after Cam failed and Datsyuk scored, but Johansen has been money in the SO. And so has Jenner on the one-on-ones. And it was fitting that Bob made the save on Zetterberg to get us another win. Really glad he finally got his first shutout after getting robbed of it in Tampa.

Only 6 points out now guys! :)

Last edited:

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
"chances of making the playoffs" site. The Jackets still face an uphill battle, but it's almost inconceivable that the team realistically stood only a 1% chance of making the playoffs given the length left in the season and the number of injured players that they were certain to get back.

That site is probably like a lot of political and sports prognosticators. No one ever goes back and actually checks their predictions for accuracy.

7 in a row with significant pieces of the team still missing and the man-games of the goal-less bottom sixers approaching 130. Not bad.

Yeah, it's hard to believe any team can be rated 1% if they have 50 games to play... That said, what are the odds of winning seven in a row with four of those wins being after 60 minutes of play in row as well.... rare...

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
Florida and Washington going to have a 3 point game also

that's why we are closer to 15 points out of the playoffs than we are 7

Then we were closer to 30 points out of playoffs on Nov 30th (Because we were 12 points out at that time). Not bad cutting it in half in 17 days/7 games.

Need to finish around 30-16-6 or better on out. Doable if healthy. Thinking of it as a 30-22 record here on out with a few those loses in OT/SO>

Kashie14

Mar 10, 2011

Goal differential plays a big role in that site's predictions. Our chance to make it likely won't improve significantly unless we start winning a few 4-0, 5-1 type games.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Can't complain about anything from this game, great all around effort from every player. Keep it rolling Thursday, 4 pt game! Bob is on fire. I want nothing more than to go into the game Saturday with an 8 game winning streak against the Grove City Blackhawks fans and shut them up once and for all, we owe them for the last 6 years of beatings...

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Goal differential plays a big role in that site's predictions. Our chance to make it likely won't improve significantly unless we start winning a few 4-0, 5-1 type games.

Short term goals diff. can be misleading. Perhaps the site places too much emphasis on it.

Nonetheless, the Jackets are something like -23 and only 2 games below .500 and that is unusual. Still, some teams have made the playoffs and done well with relatively poor goal differentials.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Well it doesn't help that Joey is always last in on the forecheck. Slowpoke.

I think it will come out at some point that he's been playing hurt, he really looks to pass rather than skate the last 10 games or so, perhaps a little groin pull or something, maybe back.

Jackets Fan

Mar 28, 2014
Central Ohio
About Johansen, I know he hasn't looked great the last dozen or so games, but cut him some slack. Along with Bob, he has been mr.clutch. He's won a few games in the SO for us, and made a great pass to Connauton for an OT winner.

What defines great players is how well they perform in the clutch. Without Joey, there's a good chance we don't win 7 straight. Without him, there's a fair chance we're 10 points out, rather than just 6.

As someone mentioned on here recently, watch out when Johansen starts lighting it up again. The net will be getting filled. In the meantime, it's great we've been winning these tight, low-scoring games, without needing Joey to be lighting up the board game after game.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Boone Jenner's mom ain't bad lookin'

She's really cool too, we went to the Toronto game last March in Toronto and she came up to us because we were the only other Jackets fans at the bar and invited us over and his whole family was there and we drank with them for a few hours. She always comes over to hang out and have a beer when she sees us at R Bar when she's in town. Really great family.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Is it just me or do the red wings use interference and picks more than any one else in the league (and not get called for it)?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Is it just me or do the red wings use interference and picks more than any one else in the league (and not get called for it)?

That's funny, I remember a Red Wings blogger complaining about the Jackets about this, calling them the best cheaters in the NHL.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

That is called creating space. If you can't figure out how to do it, you won't be playing in the NHL very long.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
As one of the glass half-empty posters I feel it is my duty to point out that IF the Rangers continue at their pace they will wind up with 96 points. For the Jackets to top that they must get 69 points in the last 52.

That is a 6-3-1 pace for each of the next 10 game sets plus 2 ROW's . There are only a few teams in the league playing at that pace now.

When you look at it in those terms it seems a bit daunting, especially for a team that is struggling mightily to score 5v5. But as long as the team plays good overall defense and Bob keeps playing like Vezina Bob anything is possible, including the Rangers and Caps slumping a bit.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I think he's been playing well lately.

I kind of feel like of the reasons no to play at your best JJ had one of the best you possibly could come up with. I will virtually punch anyone in the junk who doesn't cut him something of a break for the first month or two. And then I'm pretty sure Viqsi will set them on fire.

I generally don't do mercy immolations, but for that, I'd have to reconsider. :)

Going through the thread here has me puzzled at all the criticism of the Jackets. I think both teams were confounding eachother all game. Neither of us could regularly sustain any kind of offensive pressure. Nobody could hold onto the puck, because both sides were anticipating eachother's favorite moves and intercepting them at every opportunity. Witness the number of times our "drop pass away from the boards" got picked up by a Red Wing, or the number of times a Red Wing's second quick pass after possession got snarfed up by a Blue Jacket. Heck, there was even one tremendously amusing sequence towards the end in which Wiz attempted one of those drop-away-from boards passes, it got intercepted, and he calmly waltzed over, snatched the second pass and sent it up the ice to our forwards.

This was an evenly matched contest because neither team allowed the other to actually get on their game. All we had left were transition opportunities and multilevel breakdowns in play, which both teams got and neither team was able to capitalize on due to strong goaltender play.

And yeah, Johansen looked exhausted. Did anyone else happen to notice that one time during OT when he basically collapsed in the faceoff circle immediately prior to an O-zone faceoff, then get right back up? Freaked me out. :(

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
They need to wrap Bob up in bubble wrap the second he comes off the ice after games. Make sure the seat in his car is all the way back to be able to fit in it. In no way can they let him get hurt.

The other good thing is the rupel is in shambles, so hopefully it doesnt recover before negotiation time.

silver89

Nov 25, 2013
Sweden
And yeah, Johansen looked exhausted. Did anyone else happen to notice that one time during OT when he basically collapsed in the faceoff circle immediately prior to an O-zone faceoff, then get right back up? Freaked me out. :(

Pretty sure he was tripped, don't read too much into it.
Although I do agree he does look a little off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad