GDT: Game 30 - CBJ at WSH - 9 Dec, 7pm

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Thankfully, we are not playing against any ex-Jackets tonight. Just, y'know, the NHL's leading team on a winning streak.

Projected lineup per bluejackets.com:
Projected Lineup
(Subject to change)

Sonny Milano - Pierre-Luc Dubois - Josh Anderson
Nick Foligno - Boone Jenner - Oliver Bjorkstrand
Gustav Nyquist - Alexandre Texier - Cam Atkinson
Alexander Wennberg - Riley Nash - Eric Robinson

Dean Kukan - Seth Jones
Ryan Murray - David Savard
Vladislav Gavrikov - Andrew Peeke

Joonas Korpisalo
Elvis Merzlikins

Scratches: Emil Bemstrom, Scott Harrington

Roster Report: Wennberg was a healthy scratch in Florida but might have to return to the lineup after Bemstrom left Saturday night's game with an upper-body injury.

capitals.nhl.com has a preview article up.

Scoresheet links (they'll work later tonight):
Game Summary - overall team info
Event Summary - player-specific info

Highlights of the Caps' last game:

Reactions: Madifer

Speedy Sanderson

Jan 29, 2012
Don't expect much from these guys - too many underperforming vets and young guys who haven't figured things out yet. Jarmo should start the small rebuild now.

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
3iwf5w.jpg

Reactions: cslebn

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
1) Let overpriced (or priced-out) vets leave in offseason.

The only way to do this in the 2020 offseason is a trade (and I'm not sure about the market for Foligno, Dubinsky, etc.) or a buyout (Dubinsky may be LTIRetired, in which case there aren't really cap implications to keep his contract) and I only see Wennberg or Dubinsky as buyout candidates. In 2021, I think we certainly see Nash not offered an extension, Dubinsky not brought back (if he's not bought out in 2020), though I expect we'll see some consternation over what to do with the Captain.

Of course, by 2021, we're then starting down the barrel of the Jones/Werenski free agency offseason (not to mention Boone Jenner that same year) as well as Murray & Savard in 2021 and a bunch of RFAs in between.

Speedy Sanderson

Jan 29, 2012
How do you propose he does it ? Minimum
3 steps please
The first piece to go is Savard. He'd be valuable for any contender, and the CBJ could get a good pick or two in return. See what's out there for Z. Unless it's a great haul, keep him, but the team needs offense, so if there's a fair deal to be made (ala Jones-Joey), do it. Buy-out Nash's contract at the conclusion of the season and let a young guy replace him. Also let the next generation of Jackets see what they can do toward the end of the season.

Reactions: The Bread Man

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
The only way to do this in the 2020 offseason is a trade (and I'm not sure about the market for Foligno, Dubinsky, etc.) or a buyout (Dubinsky may be LTIRetired, in which case there aren't really cap implications to keep his contract) and I only see Wennberg or Dubinsky as buyout candidates. In 2021, I think we certainly see Nash not offered an extension, Dubinsky not brought back (if he's not bought out in 2020), though I expect we'll see some consternation over what to do with the Captain.

Of course, by 2021, we're then starting down the barrel of the Jones/Werenski free agency offseason (not to mention Boone Jenner that same year) as well as Murray & Savard in 2021 and a bunch of RFAs in between.

Let’s try it in 2019 then.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
The first piece to go is Savard. He'd be valuable for any contender, and the CBJ could get a good pick or two in return. See what's out there for Z. Unless it's a great haul, keep him, but the team needs offense, so if there's a fair deal to be made (ala Jones-Joey), do it. Buy-out Nash's contract at the conclusion of the season and let a young guy replace him. Also let the next generation of Jackets see what they can do toward the end of the season.
Seems like I've been beating this drum for over a year now. Use the abundance of riches we have to re balance this team. That includes, and maybe becomes a priority as to what would Zach Werenski return? With Peeke, Kukan, and Gavi all defenders that should be playing, along with Jones, make Zach, Savard, and Murray all big assets that could be dangled. Of course I'm not saying all 3 . My guess is the draft picks we lost in taking a shot at the cup, are easily replenished this trade deadline . Nylander ? Connor ?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Hey how about the game? That is what this thread is isn't it? Interesting discussion but should be in the Tanking/Other Roster moves thread.

Caps roll. Ovi with at least 2 G's.

Reactions: Jovavic and Viqsi

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
How do you propose he does it ? Minimum
3 steps please
Call around, and find out the best return that Werenski returns. Focus on an asset like Connor, Nylander, Laine, possibly Marner, if Toronto would consider. Or a player of that caliber and age. If not, maybe a cant miss prospect and picks ? Fortunately , Toronto started very slow, and are in cap hell. The jets have started hot , but is it sustainable with their defense ? What will Foligno, Wennberg, or Jenner return ? Fire Torts, let Maclean finish the season . Hes kind of a mix between Torts, and a coach that gets the offensive side of the game, so philosophy will be slightly different, but theirs a natural interim there.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Hey how about the game? That is what this thread is isn't it? Interesting discussion but should be in the Tanking/Other Roster moves thread.

Caps roll. Ovi with at least 2 G's.
I agree , caps roll, sorry for my poster after, I just saw this comment .

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I think we should trade our roster for Washington's.

We win 5-0. Wennberg hat trick, Savard with a penalty shot Forsberg-esc goal, and Anderson scores on a one timer.

aRussian

Oct 21, 2007
Ohio
Predicting that the Caps show the CBJ how to offense. CBJ caught taking notes. on multiple plays and lose 6-1. Caps allow a courtesy goal to prevent the student from being woefully discouraged

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Predicting that the Caps show the CBJ how to offense. CBJ caught taking notes. on multiple plays and lose 6-1. Caps allow a courtesy goal to prevent the student from being woefully discouraged
Doubt we get blown out. More like a one goal game which could go either way

pled

Sep 7, 2009
what happened to wennberg like I really thought he was coming back earlier and now I want him in the ahl again.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Oh my. 77-38-71 together. Already predicting they will lead team in 5 on 5 TOI.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad