GDT: GAME #30 - Canucks @ Roadrunners - March 21st, 1977, 7:00 - Sports Network Pacific

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Kesler, Booth, Malhotra (3-5 highest paid forwards), Kassian, Higgins possibly now, Pinnizotto isn't on the trip for whatever reason. Sestito was hurt I guess but took the skate so I'd imagine he'll play, although who knows if he would if there were other healthy options.

So 5. Potentially 6 or 7.

Isn't Bieksa playing hurt?

Eek, forgot about Malhotra.
This is insane.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
‏@benkuzma
Higgins tweaked back in #Canucks practice, won't play. Pinizzotto is ill and will join team, D-man will play up front tonight.

Hilarious...

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Alberts will probably play up front as he's done it before for the team. I'd like to see Ballard or Bieksa but they need those guys to be able to skate the puck out of the zone tonight.
Double-shift Ballard for that role. Not like he'd get a ton of minutes doing 4th line duty/#6 D duty. Or Bieksa (who's also played up front for a short-time in the past).

Think both would be a better option than Alberts.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Oof well our line-up totally sucks. Maybe we should just go for a higher draft pick and figure it out in the offseason.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Tonight's drink of choice for the game:

wine_glass.jpg

DrewDoughtySmile.jpg

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
A couple years ago it was groin injuries, now it's back injuries.
Go back a bit more when then sophmore Edler was the #1 d on the team because essentially everybody else was hurt on the blueline. Ohlund came back for the next game but was playing with bruised/factured ribs.

Now that *IS* bad.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Good thing our strong defensive play kind of mitigates the loss in offense from all those injuries up front right? Isn't that what a good coach will provide? (eg., you learn to play better defensively but tough to "learn" to produce more if the skill ain't there).:sarcasm:

Obviously the coaching has had some interesting decisions this season, but a few things:

We all know that if AV were to get the team playing defensive hockey like a few years back, this whole board would melt the **** down. But, I also challenge the idea that he even has the horses to do that all that effectively.

It's tough to play strong defensive hockey when you're missing your top two faceoff guys, and they're replaced with call-ups that are well under 50%. The Canucks have one centre in their lineup right now above 50% - Lapierre at 50.5%. In 2010-11, the team's top 4 faceoff-taking centres were all over 50%. Last year, I think Hodgson was the only one below, but you had Sedin, Kesler, Lapierre, Malhotra, and Pahlsson all over 50%. You're giving yourself an uphill climb defensively when you give the other team the puck at the onset of play more than half the time.

Ditto that with the PK. Malhotra played 30+ seconds more per game on the PK than the next forward, and was destroying on the dot. Kesler, obviously is a major PK and faceoff guy for this team as well. Winning a draw on the PK kills 20+ seconds. That's huge.

It's not like the forwards and defense are somehow two totally separate categories. This isn't football.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
It's not like the forwards and defense are somehow two totally separate categories. This isn't football.
True - and I might be inclined to agree with that but this team has played questionably defensively for more than a year now (going back to the 2nd half of LAST season). At least then, a somewhat full roster & goaltending masked that problem to a degree (until the playoffs came - when the likes of Ballard is one of our better D - you know you've got problems).

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Time for the top two lines to step up and the defence to tighten up.
If Ottawa can continue to win with all of their key pieces missing we should be able to weather the storm. I know that we don't have the same depth on the farm as them but they are really decimated.

HAMMY5

Jan 22, 2013
Abbotsford BC
Dear Vancouver Canucks/All Canuck fans

I am 22 and an offensive Centre/Winger with 72G / 56A / 129 pts / 32pim in 58GP... But I have an important Beer league game tonight otherwise I'd offer you my services and fly out to the desert.

I am sorry for the pain this must cause all of you because now Barker has to play in a forward roll instead. :sarcasm:............:help:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad