GDT: Game 3 Pens vs Wings 1900hrs EST: “Gentleman you can’t fight in here, this is the preseason!”

I want ____ to be on the starting line up:

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Poulin looks good. He was noticeable all game. He was aggressive to which is more than can be said for half these guys. He had awful linemates too. Johnsson is cooked so much for thinking he could bounce back

If Johnsson continues to underwhelm I really hope the team doesn't try to make him a thing.

I like some of the "gamble" deals Dubas signed like he and Hino. But if it's not working it's not working.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
That probably wouldn't be too bad.

People hate on Nylander but he's probably a better option to fill in on the top six than just about anything else realistically available. I really want to like Puus but I feel like he could easily get overwhelmed in a top six role at the NHL level. Nylander didn't exactly blow anyone's doors off there last season but he could at least hang.

From all indications DOC has been kinda "meh" though. And Z just seems to have bad luck sticking. But lots of time to see, yet.
Yep. I feel bad for Puus, but I'm not sure his performance is gonna matter too much. Nylander likely gets the temporary top-six spot because he's had it before, and Sullivan's not big on experimentation.

We need to keep in mind that the PK is a priority for Sullivan too. It always has been, because he made a career out PK'ing in his playing days. So he's attached to the guys who do it regularly.
So we're looking at R. Smith, Eller, Nieto as PK Forward locks imo. Then for the 2nd PK'ing Center, that gets rotated between Acciari, Carter and possibly DOC. I'd like Z to get a chance to learn the PK, but I don't see that happening.

But yeah, point being that PK'ing resume/potential will dictate a few spots.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
When you actually watch the games sometimes the fancy stats don't jive. And that's ok, but Poulin was not our most visible or dominant player, not really even close again, if you watch the game.

Isn't ZAR a fancy stat darling?

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
He's been better than I expected, but that in and of itself isn't saying much.

He’s been doing this with literally trash on his wings. Let’s see him with NHL talent.

Not really surprising or disappointing but Yager definitely needs more time in the oven.

Completely, totally unrelated but I guess Benson has been pretty impressive for Buffalo.
Every prospect is pretty impressive for Buffalo / Ottawa until the NHL season comes around.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
He’s been doing this with literally trash on his wings. Let’s see him with NHL talent.

Every prospect is pretty impressive for Buffalo / Ottawa until the NHL season comes around.
No time like the present, so yes, give him a shot, somebody needs to take that step forward.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
In the game against BUF I thought Yager was a little better than Benson, but that's just one game in a rookie tourny.
This is more than enough data to flood the internet with how much better Yager is than Benson.

I don’t trust Buffalo’s depth or RHD.
Or, you know, the fact they reside in Buffalo, which is just a factory of sadness when it comes to professional sports.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

God damn Sullivan knows how to shit all over you just when you think some youth can figure it out.

Jobeycool

Jun 20, 2019
Sounds like I did not miss much from a bunch of career AHL players... except a few players. :(

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia

God damn Sullivan knows how to shit all over you just when you think some youth can figure it out.
What part of his comments do you find disagreeable?

Reactions: FunkySeeFunkyDo

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
His lack of commitment to complimenting any of Poulin, Puusy or Big Z is atrocious.

Regardless of what players do in camp it’s pretty obvious what Sullivan sees as locks.
How is this not a compliment of Poulin?

"One of the things I really admire about his game is I think he's really stiff on the puck down in the battle areas, in the offensive zone. Plays below the goal line really well, he's good at the netfront. I think that's one of the big strengths of this game."

Like, these guys aren't perfect. They all have things to work on and it's OK to acknowledge that.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
How is this not a compliment of Poulin?

"One of the things I really admire about his game is I think he's really stiff on the puck down in the battle areas, in the offensive zone. Plays below the goal line really well, he's good at the netfront. I think that's one of the big strengths of this game."

Like, these guys aren't perfect. They all have things to work on and it's OK to acknowledge that.

“We'll work with him on just some of his awareness and some of the reads defensively away from the puck, just the recognition skills. The way we play defense within our system, there's a huge burden or responsibility on the center ice position. So, I think he has an opportunity to grow there. But we're seeing it every day, he’s getting better.”

You know if Pitlick or Hino had a good game he ain’t saying this shit about them. Sully just hates youth.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Yep. I feel bad for Puus, but I'm not sure his performance is gonna matter too much. Nylander likely gets the temporary top-six spot because he's had it before, and Sullivan's not big on experimentation.

We need to keep in mind that the PK is a priority for Sullivan too. It always has been, because he made a career out PK'ing in his playing days. So he's attached to the guys who do it regularly.
So we're looking at R. Smith, Eller, Nieto as PK Forward locks imo. Then for the 2nd PK'ing Center, that gets rotated between Acciari, Carter and possibly DOC. I'd like Z to get a chance to learn the PK, but I don't see that happening.

But yeah, point being that PK'ing resume/potential will dictate a few spots.
Isn’t that infuriating? What does he think our 29th ranking in finishing is based on? A lack of good PKers? Lol

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I don't put any weight into Sullivan's post games or pressers. Dude's as robot and PR-speak as Sid, maybe worse. :laugh:

But it is odd how he'll jump on a grenade for some loser like Jack Johnson, but won't shy away from being candid about younger guys. :laugh:

Exactly. And notice how he doesn’t comment on any of Z, Puusy, or Poulin having a great game, but you know if Hinostroza or Colin White had a big game he’d be gushing about how they go about things the right way and are really good voices in the room or some bullshit.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad