GDT: Game 3: Peaking Early | Hawks vs Flames | Oct. 15 - 7 PM CST - CSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
It's a good thing I don't frequent this forum while the games are being played because I'd have gotten banned tonight. After an hour to collect my thoughts (and settling down), here is what I think about today's performance:

-We got too fancy with our plays
-our powerplay went back to the never ending passing segment
-the team went drinking with Bollig prior to the game's start
-the third line is terrible right now (Versteeg can't get back here soon enough)

Let it be a lesson to the team, and move on from it.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
People say that, but I think it's disingenuous. No one will be content if he's only 'better than handzus'. That's the world's easiest threshold to cross, I'm not even sure he's accomplishing that. To look through the Brad Richards prediction thread, most people are expecting a 50+ pt. season. I wasn't, but that seemed to be the consensus.

Well it's 3 games in. I don't remember exactly what I thought when he was signed...that he would be better than Handzus, but I wanted to see Teuvo, I think. Perhaps at the time I was very optimistic, I don't know...but I'm not expecting him to be any better than last year...and I think he's older and slower.

I would hope that if he's planning on playing after this year he'll find a way to dig deep b/c his next contract is on the line.

In any event, I won't judge this early.

Edit - two problems I have with him are his poor speed and poor defense. You can't put someone like that with Kane and if he's destined for the 3rd line I'd rather have Teuvo there.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
People say that, but I think it's disingenuous. No one will be content if he's only 'better than handzus'. That's the world's easiest threshold to cross, I'm not even sure he's accomplishing that. To look through the Brad Richards prediction thread, most people are expecting a 50+ pt. season. I wasn't, but that seemed to be the consensus.

When we had to trade away a roster D man partially because of the need to make his cap hit fit over the cheaper rookie, that makes it matter more than just him being better than handzus.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
That was frustrating. Team played well. Hiller didn't even steal it. Weird loss. On to the next one.

We've all talked it over, and have come to the conclusion that it's your fault. You attending the game jinxed us, and we're asking that you never attend another hawks game ever. :p:

here come the

Mar 25, 2013
Despite not scoring the top 2 lines looked really good today. Currently really like the construction of our top 6. Smith had his best game of the early season and should form a really solid 4th line with Krugs and Carcillo, but right now Morin, Richards, and Bickell aren't adding anything, very disappointing.

Longwayfromhome

Sweden/London, UK.
Oct 18, 2013
OK. So we need to stop playing richards on the power play. And I have never liked Seabrook on there either. Why not let some of the young guns get some power play time, put JVR out there, or Oduya.. or even Rundblad (if he isn't scratched), they won't perform worse then Richards imo. The rags did the same experiment last year with Richards on point and it didn't work out either.

CPHawksFan

That's Hockey Baby!!
Jun 17, 2011
Crown Point, IN
Frustrating game to say the least. I'd be interested to see if slotting Richards with Saad and Kane (we did get Richards to be 2C right?) would get him going offensively, and if Shaw on the 3rd line would get Bickell going offensively as well. It's pretty obvious that Richards/Bickell on the same line is not working.

Nothingman*

After the first. Period I kind of had a feeling this is how the game would end up. I was surprised we even got a point out of it. My observations are:

1. Third line is total trash. I have not even noticed Bickell. There are no excuses for him not performing this year and he is sucking big time.

2. Richards on the PP.....I thought WTF on that when it was originally announced. Still think that. He is a real downer on the PP. If anything he should just plop in front of the net since he cannot do anything else.
3. Morin has been poor.
4. Crow looked good again.
5. Q is going to have to trust these young D or we are going to have 4 very tired D come playoff time.

I chalk this up to just one of those games where a goalie steals one. Yeah, Carcillo should have buried that 3 foot away open net shot, among the other opportunities that were spoiled. But these games happen. When you outshoot someone 3-1 you are going towin 9/10 times usually.

Nothingman*

Flames fan in peace.
Almost all the posters (the level-headed ones) on our board knew the Blackhawks should have had the game but (for us) it was entertaining at least - we love the way the Flames will battle shift after shift even with their inferior skill.

All the best in the rest of the season (especially vs Vancouver), don't overthink tonight's results. Games like these are the outliers but it's also why we watch the sport and why the players play the game on ice and not on paper.

Your team clearly was the superior on in everything but the final score.

Again, best of luck the rest of the season!

worst lead in to any post on HF. Ever.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Yeah, Richards might not crack 20 points from the 3rd line. It's unbelievable. Handzus would still be on the 2nd line if we resigned him and Richards has to play on the 3rd line since day one. Damn near 50 shots and few of them any good but the lines will probably stay the same because of it.

Elvis P

You ain't nothin but a hound dog
Dec 10, 2007
Graceland
If we as a team (excluding Kaner) are not willing to go in the crease and get greasy Tomas Holmstrom type goals, we will not finish top 2 in the division. If you don't think it matters, Mike Gartner is 6th on the all time goal list ahead of Jagr with 708 goals and almost all of his goals were in the crease.

theseeker

May 15, 2012

Attachments

• imagesn.jpg
    imagesn.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 8

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Last night was a rather extreme case of exactly what I alluded to in pre-season.

Too often, when this team needs to score, they struggle. Why? From what I can see, the intensity and will just isn't there. As a group they play the game like it is an exhibition of their talent which will be good enough in the end. Usually, it is, but that's not my point. HF50 has been harping about this a while, but generally gets dismissed. I expect the same reaction to this post.

Fortyfives

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2011
Yeah, Richards might not crack 20 points from the 3rd line. It's unbelievable. Handzus would still be on the 2nd line if we resigned him and Richards has to play on the 3rd line since day one. Damn near 50 shots and few of them any good but the lines will probably stay the same because of it.

Q gonna Q

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Easy fix... don't listen to the score. TSN app, listen to the radio stations up there. Far more enjoyable, especially when the Toronto station's on meltdown mode. They actually talk about hockey, and even about hockey not in their market.

Haven't listened to local sports radio (aside from actual games) since March or so, and my commute and listening habits at work have gotten infinitely better.

But, again, points streak, guys. Wooooooooo...

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Despite not scoring the top 2 lines looked really good today. Currently really like the construction of our top 6. Smith had his best game of the early season and should form a really solid 4th line with Krugs and Carcillo, but right now Morin, Richards, and Bickell aren't adding anything, very disappointing.

Yep. Ben Smith is returning to the good form he displayed last season. Carcillo looks pretty good and I thought Kruger was better as well. Bicks seems lost. IMO, he misses the chemistry he has with Shaw. The sooner that Q switches Richards back to line 2, the better. As for Morin: he better find a way to get that shot off or he will end up back in RFD. Versteeg will assuredly take his spot when he's ready, unless things change drastically with Morin's game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad