Post-Game Talk: Game 3 - Matt Murray takes over as Pens defeat the Flyers

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
@ColePens, I am so torn on Phil.

He MUST be hurt. And, it's hurting Geno and Hags. Phil skated for about 10 minutes, so it was okay for a time. But, he does NOTHING defensively. Geno and Hags were penalty killing in their own zone and thankfully doing it well. It just seems like such a waste right now to put Phil with those two.

On the other hand, HMK actually was statistically the best line in terms of possession and balance of chances. And, for as much of a liability as Phil is with Geno, he's a bigger liability everywhere else.

I'm not as sold as others on those two together when Phil is healthy, but now . . . it's just ugly.

I get why Sully did it. BUT, for the good of the team as I said in the GDT, I think the call is to try HBK 2.o. Hags and Brass have a history together. Yes, it means Sheary-Geno-Rust, which is a scary proposition with Sheary defensively, but I think on balance it's the better allocation of 2nd and 3rd line resources.

Reactions: ColePens

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Want to go back to a shift in the first period that NBC showed touching on the importance of Hornqvist that led to goal #1.

- Horny gets the puck and sees no options so he dumps it in soft. Smart play.
- Horny goes and attacks and finishes his hit on Provorov.
- Turnover happens and Hornqvist is already busting his ass back to the play.
- Prov is sitting in the corner still from #72's hit.
- Horny wins another battle to the puck and gets it to Sid.
- Sid scores.

If you ever want to know what Hornqvist does, save this post.

I prefer just to look at this gif ;)
(With a broken hand too)

PointlessRecentGermanwirehairedpointer-max-1mb.gif

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Thrilled to see Murray play so well. Not that I thought he was bad in Game 2, but he wasn't at his best.

And Sid was Sid today. I love it.

I admit, I didn't have a good feeling about this game, and was even more negative feeling during the first, but they righted the ship.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Why didnt they obsess about why the Pens lost game 2, like theyve been doing here for the past hour.

Yeah a team outplays another in the first..the goalie makes the saves. The other team responds with a goal and take over the game.

Only about the 10000th time its happened in hockey. 9999 of those from the Pens the last 3 years :laugh:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
@ColePens, I am so torn on Phil.

He MUST be hurt. And, it's hurting Geno and Hags. Phil skated for about 10 minutes, so it was okay for a time. But, he does NOTHING defensively. Geno and Hags were penalty killing in their own zone and thankfully doing it well. It just seems like such a waste right now to put Phil with those two.

On the other hand, HMK actually was statistically the best line in terms of possession and balance of chances. And, for as much of a liability as Phil is with Geno, he's a bigger liability everywhere else.

I'm not as sold as others on those two together when Phil is healthy, but now . . . it's just ugly.

I get why Sully did it. BUT, for the good of the team as I said in the GDT, I think the call is to try HBK 2.o. Hags and Brass have a history together. Yes, it means Sheary-Geno-Rust, which is a scary proposition with Sheary defensively, but I think on balance it's the better allocation of 2nd and 3rd line resources.

Just think... if we can buy time for Phil and win a series, maybe we get playoff Phil at the time we need it most.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
we will go as far as Muzz takes us...it is apparent that we will always have our 30-40 minutes, he just needs to weather the storm...
Sid's line was OK,
Geno was flying last 30 minutes, no idea why he came so soft to start the game
I am kind of happy for an incrimentally better game from Phil
Brass was good and that third line had some good moments
I thought Sheahan had a monster game while both of his flankers suck so badly....Shehan should be given a chance cause he is in the zone...

also Dumo had a monster game, he is undoubtelly now our best d-man...
Jamie and Ruh were OK,

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Thrilled to see Murray play so well. Not that I thought he was bad in Game 2, but he wasn't at his best.

And Sid was Sid today. I love it.

I admit, I didn't have a good feeling about this game, and was even more negative feeling during the first, but they righted the ship.
Murray controlled the game early on. Got stoppages, displayed calmness and poise and that helped stem the tide for us.

Reactions: ncm7772

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
In an attempt to be fair to ZAR and Kuhnhackl, it wasn’t the best game for a few wingers. Kessel isn’t right and Rust wasn’t good on top of them. By positions the wingers were the weakest today.

A big problem is that with ZAR struggling you lose the ability to flip him and Sheary to balance those lines out.

Reactions: JimmyTwoTimes

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Really intelligent play from the D along the boards. No panic in them even as the hit was coming and so many intelligent reversals that give them a much better outlet and buy a couple of seconds to clear. Ruh, OM, Dumo they were all making good decions with it

Great game from everyone but Muzz, Sid, we’re not worthy...

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
+++ Dumo: What a game by Dumo. Dominant defensively and chips in offensively. Somehow this guy scores in the playoffs consistently. It's weird. Honorable mentions for Letang/Schultz even though Schultz was inconsistent at first.

The other pluses will get a lot of love, but I think it can't be stated enough how awesome Dumo's been defensively. At the risk of sounding like Pierre Mcguire, Dumoulin is like a human eraser out there. It seems like every time the Flyers come down his wing, he kills their play along the boards either with superior body positioning or a great stick.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Just think... if we can buy time for Phil and win a series, maybe we get playoff Phil at the time we need it most.

Problem is, I don't want to take Geno out to get there.

This is why I suggested flipping Geno and Brass.

Then again, Jake-Sid-Horny (not Sid or Horny as individuals, the LINE) looked like a cluster**** for a lot of the game too. SO, maybe one should be less concerned with style points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad