GDT: Game 3: Golden Knights @ Sabres - 10/8 3pm ET (MSG-B, Sportsnet, WGR 550)

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
One bad play by Eichel but otherwise he is showing he relishes being a captain and a leader. He is starting to make me a believer.

Not trying to nitpick, but I've read a bunch of posts about Jack's 'bad play'. You guys realize that the puck deflected off of Karlsson's skate, right?

Karlsson was forechecking, Jack opted for the conservative off the boards and out play, and Karlsson made a nice play. Sometimes you have to tip your cap, that was a nice play by Vegas pressuring the puck.

Reactions: 1point21Gigawatts

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia
Seems to me, we lost quite of few of last years matinee's at home. Maybe all of them? Nice to see them get off on a good start to the season...

Dahlin 2 Eichel

Sep 21, 2013
Roaming The Sewers
Dahlin has played so damn well. I don’t see him jumping into the play as I thought he would. Think this is because he is just adjusting to the game/speed or doesn’t have the confidence yet?

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Dahlin has played so damn well. I don’t see him jumping into the play as I thought he would. Think this is because he is just adjusting to the game/speed or doesn’t have the confidence yet?
He's definitely still getting his feet wet and learning the speed of the game, but damn is he steady. He did join the rush for one great chance today

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Post-Game Report: 10/8 vs. Vegas

Final Score
1st2nd3rdOTSOFinalSOG
Golden Knights
(1-2-0)
Sabres
(2-1-0)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Game Summary

Event Summary

Top Notes
  • Today’s win improved the Sabres to 1-0-2 against the Golden Knights all-time.
  • Carter Hutton stopped 35 shots today to improve to 2-0-0 against Vegas with a .957 save percentage and a 1.50 goals-against average in those games.
  • With his goals today, Jack Eichel now has tallies in consecutive contests and four points (3+1) in three games this season.
    • Dating back to last season, Eichel has 14 points (6+8) in his last 10 games.
  • The game was Eichel’s 16th career multi-goal game. The Sabres are 12-3-1 in those games.
  • Sam Reinhart and Conor Sheary recorded the assists on Eichel’ssecond goal. Reinhart now has an assist in consecutive games and Sheary has three points (2+1) in his last two contests.
  • With his goal today, Jason Pominville now has three points (1+2) in three career games against Vegas.
Today’s Goaltenders
Today’s Stats
TeamGoaltenderDecisionSV%GAA
Golden KnightsFleuryL.7654.13
SabresHuttonW.9462.00
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Updated Season Stats
TeamGoaltenderRecordSV%GAA
Golden KnightsFleury1-2-0.8413.93
SabresHutton2-1-0.9432.06
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Post-Game Audio
Sabres forward Jack Eichel
Sabres forward Jason Pominville
Sabres forward Sam Reinhart
Sabres defenseman Marco Scandella
Sabres goaltender Carter Hutton
Golden Knights forward Max Pacioretty
Golden Knights forward Jonathan Marchessault
Golden knights goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Eichel has 52 goals, 125 points in 131 games since the start of 16-17. That is damn near elite center numbers. I believe this year he will finally finish with a 1.00+ ppg this year. We no longer need Jack to carry us to win games anymore but he will still rack up the production. We may end up with 10 guys with 40+ points.

Eichel
Skinner
Risto
Reinhart
Sheary
Berglund
Pominville/Okposo (I believe one of the two will end up with it)
Mitts (he will eventually get in a groove. And any injury in the top 6 will mean more ice time for Casey)
Berglund (low 40s)
ERod (low 40s)

Let's just say for the first time since the late 00s we have the talent to be a top 10 offense.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
He's biding his time and taking small, polite bites.

Someday he's going to take that next step and never look back.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
I think his confidence is fine. I beleive he learned alot in preseason about the speed of the game and he now is building that mental library of who is who in the NHL and what he needs to defend against them and to beat them offensively. But I think the real reason he has been a bit conservative offensively, is that he senses that the team isn’t fully implementing the system just yet and the smart and correct play is to not gamble. This kid’s hallmark is his sense for the game and where the correct play is. As the team gels and he senses that risk/reward equation is in his favor he will press the play. But he is a defenseman first and foremost and so far he is more than holding his own.

Reactions: Dahlin 2 Eichel

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Compare him now ... to this January ... and tell me he hasn’t improved then.
The new prospect, who’s a kid, is just fine.
Why do some expect prime rib from a calf? Kid will grow. Slower than some with impatience apparently.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Super surprised that E-Rod wasn't voted as a star of the game, I thought he more than deserved to be up there with Eichel and Hutton. Sheary got it instead, which is doubly weird as E-Rod replaced him on the top line with Eichel and Reinhart late in the game.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Super surprised that E-Rod wasn't voted as a star of the game, I thought he more than deserved to be up there with Eichel and Hutton. Sheary got it instead, which is doubly weird as E-Rod replaced him on the top line with Eichel and Reinhart late in the game.
Actually, it was Eichel, Hutton and Marchessault. I was looking at the Rangers game for Hutton/Sheary/Eichel

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
I was at a concert and watched the game late, wow the first period was fun. They played a lot of up tempo hockey. I continue to be impressed by Dahlin's defensive prowess more so than his offensive game which hasn't kicked into high gear yet. There were a few chances (Skinner, Reinhart) that would have blown this game wide open. Hutton is FINALLY a goalie we can hang our hat on. Sorry Ullmark, but if he continues to play like this, enjoy every 5th start. I like Elie's game, he plays a strong two way game and offers so much more than we've had on the LW in the bottom six. I don't want Larsson back at this point. Trade him, keep Elie and let Rodrigues man the middle. I have been pleasantly surprised with Berglund too!

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Very satisfied with the team's play and the victory yesterday. And I thought the way the guys reacted to Eichel's last shot with the empty net at the end was very revealing.......

(Jack grins and says "aw, sh*t" after missing the net and turning back to the team and several of the guys are kidding him and giving him the helmet pat. You could tell it was sincere and that he's their leader and that he has a sense of humor.)

I haven't searched yet for Gallant's comments/observations about his team's play. I know he was critical of their last outing. I think Vegas's speed and intensity was lacking some - not to take anything away from the Sabres effort mind you. I do wonder how much effect the matinee format and time might have had on them. Western teams traveling east have a harder time IMO adjusting to the time change.
MAF was steady and competent but not stellar. Certainly not all star caliber in this game like last season. Sabres quick puck movement on the PP that resulted in Eichel's 1st goal being an indicator. Vegas did not take time and space away from the opponent like they did last season. Eichel's 2nd goal from the slot was an example of that. Except for moments (just moments) in the 3rd period, I did not feel that the Knights were just going to up the tempo and take over the game.

Again, these comments are not intended to take anything away from the Sabres effort or win. Just wondering if maybe, perhaps, the "magic" of Vegas might be lacking a bit this season. Especially after so many people said they are stronger this season than last.

Reactions: kundahlini

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
The more I watch that Pominville goal and that play with ERod to Girgensons right back to ERod to a stick tapping Pommers - it's a thing of beauty. Just smart passing and a veteran finding space and a young guy finding him. That "fourth" line is just killing it. Good for all of them.

Reactions: Reddawg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad