GDT: Game 3: Columbus vs. Dallas | 10/14 7PM EDT

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
I agree, but I thought the real problem was the defensive play from the forwards. The Stars had freedom to waltz down the slot, unimpeded, and take free wacks at Bob, particularly in the first. He truly kept the game close on his own.

I'm not sure that's how I see it, at least not the greatest deficiency last night. In the 1st and parts of the 3rd period, Dallas was able to keep the Jackets from playing their game and keeping the puck in the offensive zone with persistence, which is why there was such a disparity in shots. Defensive play by the forwards contributed at the other end, but our inability to apply consistent pressure in Dallas's zone was the result of different problems. As mm points out, Dallas's D- and for what it's worth, I was watching the Dallas feed and they were commenting on how quickly the Jackets' defensemen would vacate the offensive zone- contributing to a lackluster forecheck.

Again, Dubi and Boone in there probably changes the story

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I think even with Dubi, Boone and Murray, this is just a part of the Jackets game that is a problem. We don't have a relaxed mode that works. If our D are backing off the points we're awful and if our D are pinching we take over the play but expose ourselves to a lot of run and gun. It explains the volatile score effects in the Pittsburgh series: we played great when we were behind and we were dominated when we were ahead.

So for us, it's either attack and forecheck like crazy or get schooled.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
That's an interesting point about the Pitt series. My feeling though is that the cake isn't fully baked, yet. I do worry about the sustainability of the hard forecheck over the course of a season, although it seems like we've got guys who are built for that. But I think we could find what you're calling a relaxed mode with still more seasoning from our young D.

In fact that may be where it has to come from due to the nature of Wiz and JJ's offensive style. Tyuts is a good presence back there, hopefully Erixon and Savard can join Murray as stabilizing blue line presences? (Not familiar enough with CG, and while I like Prout's size I hesitate to associate his defense with a "relaxed", lead-preserving role).

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I think even with Dubi, Boone and Murray, this is just a part of the Jackets game that is a problem. We don't have a relaxed mode that works. If our D are backing off the points we're awful and if our D are pinching we take over the play but expose ourselves to a lot of run and gun. It explains the volatile score effects in the Pittsburgh series: we played great when we were behind and we were dominated when we were ahead.

So for us, it's either attack and forecheck like crazy or get schooled.

I was thinking about this earlier today. There seems to be no HATE between these two clubs. In fact, they almost act like they LIKE each other.

Jackets Fan

Mar 28, 2014
Central Ohio
I don't think Erixon has been 'garbage' on the PP. His passing is usually pretty good, but lacks the heavy shot, which is a big deal. I'm not sure if he is going to be a good PP player in the NHL or not.

Jack meanwhile can't hit the side of a barn sometimes.

I see what you're saying, but it's usually JJ feeding the puck to Wiz, and he does a pretty good job of it. I haven't been impressed with Erixon's passing and decision making on the PP at all.

Despite all of Johnson's flaws, he's a damn good passer, which is why he already has 3 assists, factor that in with the rocket shot he has ( albeit it hits the 1 out 100 times ) I'd much prefer him over Erixon.

With everyone healthy, I'd like to see JJ paired with Wiz on the PP, and Murray paired with Savard.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
My main criticism of the way we played vs Dallas, was the lack of f3 high that allowed easy transition out of the zone for most of the game for the Stars...especially in the first.

I have confidence that our system of play is sustainable, but you have to have the depth and physical ability to make it work, and we do. Dano, Wennberg, Chaput, Skille........Richardson is proving yet again that he can take young and inexperienced players and integrate them effectively into his system.

We are 2-1, with one really bad period of hockey out of nine, playing about as banged up as we'll be all season imo....and Bob hasn't even stolen a game for us yet.

Do we lack a possession game? Not entirely, our top line is very capable of that style of play. You could be a team like PIT that is geared towards possession, but can't win the individual battles to get to the next level. My point is every team has a weakness, we're no exception.

Last edited:

Badger36

Jan 4, 2010
Columbus, OH
I was thinking about this earlier today. There seems to be no HATE between these two clubs. In fact, they almost act like they LIKE each other.
Wait until the CBJ beats them in the playoffs. Theres no hate because the Pens and their fans dont see the CBJ as a threat to them.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Wait until the CBJ beats them in the playoffs. Theres no hate because the Pens and their fans dont see the CBJ as a threat to them.

Yeah, you have to take someone serious to consider them a rival.

We could sweep the regular season series and still not be taken seriously by many Penguin fans. Knock em out of the playoffs and things will get interesting. We dominated Detroit the last couple seasons in the West, still wasn't enough to consider it a rivalry because we're 0-4 vs Detroit when it counts the most.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio

To clarify, I was talking about the CBJ and the Dallas Stars. Your point about how the Pens see us is still valid.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I see what you're saying, but it's usually JJ feeding the puck to Wiz, and he does a pretty good job of it. I haven't been impressed with Erixon's passing and decision making on the PP at all.

Despite all of Johnson's flaws, he's a damn good passer, which is why he already has 3 assists, factor that in with the rocket shot he has ( albeit it hits the 1 out 100 times ) I'd much prefer him over Erixon.

With everyone healthy, I'd like to see JJ paired with Wiz on the PP, and Murray paired with Savard.

I think when healthy that'd be a good lineup. Tyutin is also a decent PP defender. Right now I think this is a good learning opportunity for Erixon. He's already dominated at lower levels, and he could use more of a chance to develop his PP skills at the NHL level.

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
It appears the coaching staff has the most confidence in Tyuts during PK, at least. I've noted that if we are ever in a 5 on 3 situation, Tyuts is always the guy. I think he is underrated on the boards. Coaches seem to have a lot of confidence in him on both PP and PK.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
It appears the coaching staff has the most confidence in Tyuts during PK, at least. I've noted that if we are ever in a 5 on 3 situation, Tyuts is always the guy. I think he is underrated on the boards. Coaches seem to have a lot of confidence in him on both PP and PK.

He's been having a good season. Best of the D thus far. I like him, always have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad